BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions BMW Remote Service Issue

08-06-2019, 08:37 AM   #1
MontyP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

BMW Remote Service Issue

Hello all,

Last night before going to bed I checked the charging status of my car and noticed that the doors were unlocked. Rather than going downstairs to get my keys I decided to use the remote lock feature on the BMW Connected App. Alas, I kept getting a message saying "Service can not [sic]be performed. No services can be performed at the current time because another service is in progress. Please try again later."

I have no idea what other "service" the app thinks is being performed. I was not conditioning, the car was fully charged, etc. I even turned off all of the pre-conditioning options but to no avail. I just checked the app again after getting to work and the same message appears. It also appears in the headlight and horn remote functions and the Climatize Now function.

Any thoughts as to what the issue might be? I have sent a message to the Canadian ConnectedApp support team but, based on past experience, may not hear back for several days.

I note that my oil needs changing so the app is showing "Service Required" under the info tab but this should not impact remote functionality.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I am in the US. I used it Sunday coming off the 17th hole at a golf course to cool the car and it worked great. I just tried it while it was in my garage being charged and tried locking it and that worked as well.

So it is working fine for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 10:36 AM   #3
MontyP
Private First Class
Rep

I logged out of the app and then back in and that appears to have resolved the issue - at least for the time being.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 12:15 PM   #4
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyP View Post
I logged out of the app and then back in and that appears to have resolved the issue - at least for the time being.
Your experience and fix is a common workaround to a troubled BMW backend and marginally written app. Maybe one day it'll get better....

The message about another service is in progress is because your original lock command never cleared out properly. Something caused it to hang even though you got an unable....message. It's all just software engineering that could use some re-work.
      08-06-2019, 02:10 PM   #5
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Your experience and fix is a common workaround to a troubled BMW backend and marginally written app. Maybe one day it'll get better....

The message about another service is in progress is because your original lock command never cleared out properly. Something caused it to hang even though you got an unable....message. It's all just software engineering that could use some re-work.
+1. The other service being performed was you trying to lock your car and it never finished the task so it thought it was still in process. It will tell you when the task is finished so if you don't see whatever task you asked it to do completed then it's most likely still in process and will give you the same message. The app is not super well polished and could be improved for sure.

I've had relatively good luck with the app, but I've used it less than 10 times. The only time I couldn't get it work, I logged out and then back in, and it worked fine. It does need some work though!

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 05:29 PM   #6
MontyP
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks. Interestingly, I had not used the app for anything in several days prior to trying to use the lock feature yesterday. Yesterday was the first time I used the app to try and lock my car (because I always lock it when exiting but my daughter was the last one to exit the car) and I got the error message on the first try. I then checked the horn, lights and climatize now commands and got the same message. Perhaps something else had not cleared properly.

I agree 100% that the app needs work. Having had my car for 18+ months now this is my single biggest complaint. The complete lack of any Canadian support for the app only makes things worse. We have no access to the BMW Genius number (well we can cal it but the geniuses cannot troubleshoot Canadian VINs!!!) so have to send an email to a BMW Connected email address. Responses take anywhere from 2 to 5 business days and invariably say the same thing regardless of the issue - try deleting and reinstalling the app and updating.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 09:16 AM   #7
StuW530e
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 545e M Sport

I recently had problems with the app, I wont bore you with the details, but while speaking to customer services (who did rectify it) they pointed out that you can do it online through safari or whatever! Something I had completely overlooked in a world run by apps!
Just worth remembering the next time the app lets you down (which it will)
Cheers
Appreciate 0