BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Microfilter

08-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #1
Mac B
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 520D SE saloon (G30)

Microfilter

Is there a way to avoid or reduce the ridiculously high cost of the microfilter (520D SE) that doesn't cause engine problems nor invalidate the warranty?
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 01:05 AM   #2
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac B View Post
Is there a way to avoid or reduce the ridiculously high cost of the microfilter (520D SE) that doesn't cause engine problems nor invalidate the warranty?
Microfilter for cabin air? If so it wont cause engine problems if not replaced. I took out a service plan to mitigate the cost for this reason alone. I think I found he was £100 plus. How can this be????
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 10:32 AM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac B View Post
Use one of the online part databases to look up the microfilter's 11 digit BMW part nbr. Once you have the correct BMW part nbr for your car and the type of microfilter you want to replace your old one with (I believe there's 2 types...plain or activated charcoal)...type "BMW xx xx xxx xxx" (where x = the actual bmw part nbr) into a google/internet search box...and you should get a list of results that show vendors and dealers with online access...selling the part that you need. You'll also see that the cost of the microfilter can vary.

I did a quick search using a 520D (not sure if I had the correct one you need since there were multiple engines)...I saw some sets selling for $121 USD...and some plain ones as low as $21 USD.

If you're not familiar with any BMW online part database sites...here's 3 of my favs that I use all the time...the info you can get from the part database goes beyond part nbrs...you can see how a part is secured, how many pieces of hardware secures it, what connecting pieces look like and how they may need to be disassembled, and if parts from another BMW model can be used...as well as new part nbrs that have replaced part nbrs no longer available:
  1. https://www.realoem.com/
  2. https://bimmercat.com/
  3. http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-09-2019 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0