BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Thoughts on a small M sedan

07-03-2017, 10:20 PM   #1
Monkeyboxers
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: '21 X3 30i G01 M-Sport

Thoughts on a small M sedan

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I've always been a sedan type of person, and my dream car has always been the M3. This is due to looks and practicality over coupes. However, I think the M3 will be something I'll own in 10+ years time. It's ridiculously expensive in Australia ($140K+).

I'm not a big fan of hatchbacks, and that leaves BMW with only the M2 which is a coupe. Plus, with A45 and RS3, it feels like there is a gap/opportunity for BMW to do a smaller four door M around the $100K AUD mark
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 08:47 AM   #2
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

First they need BMW AG to introduce a small series sedan on which to base the M version. Right now, the only candidate is the 1 Series sedan and that is currently only being sold in China. It is reportedly going to be introduced to other markets including Europe and South America, so it could come to Australia too. However, it is unlikely M Division will design a full M car around a non-global product. Furthermore, so far, there is no indication that M Division is interested in doing proper, full treatment M vehicles on UKL. The best we know of are the M35i M Performance UKL offerings coming next year starting with the X2 M35i (with an X1 M35i and a M135i in sedan and hatchback form also coming).

Rumors of a 2 Series Gran Coupe persist, but so far there is no leaked information about a possible future generation 2GC.

I'm not sure if Australia will get the RS3 sedan, but if so it would be something for you to consider. There is also the CLA45, and there will be an A Class sedan for the next generation including an A45 sedan. The concept Mercedes showed in Shanghai back in April looks very nice.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 05:54 PM   #3
Monkeyboxers
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Yeah, I did see the 1 series when I visited China for work at the beginning of this year. I believe it'll be a FWD car though?

Australia does have RS3 Sedan and CLA45 (damn ugly though). I like the RS3's size, and power but the exterior just looks so boring...
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #4
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

New RS3 has just come out and it sounds like a winner with 300kw and a great engine note. It's fast but def won't be that sporting given Audi's usual set up.
It really is get the speed and practicality with the RS3 or get the rwd fun and lose practicality with the M2.

But for $100k a F-Type sounds/looks way more appealing to me.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 06:53 PM   #5
seedyrom
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M240i, X3 20i, 2002, 2002tii

Quick question.... would you buy one?

If it were here, tomorrow would you lay down a deposit, sign up for a lease, and drive one off the lot?

I'm not denying your want to "kick the imaginary tyres", but would it sell?
People wanting 4 doors want to transport people.
They need it big, or with a high roof line (like a hatch).

We are a nation of fatties, and having a 4 door with no leg room would have been done if it made economic sense.

I thought Nissan should have made that Duke with an R35 running gear in it ... but I probably wouldn't have bought one if it came with a $180k price tag.

The car makers have been in the business for a long time, and would be doing market research all the time.

They'd have a good idea if it was a good idea

Last edited by seedyrom; 07-04-2017 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2017, 07:05 PM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyboxers View Post
I believe it'll be a FWD car though?
Indeed. But then so are the A3 and CLA. That doesn't stop AMG and Audi Sport from building beasts out of them though. They start with the AWD version, upgrade the entire chassis and driveline, and give them highly tuned engines with 375hp in the Mercedes to 400hp in the Audi. So it's a similar approach to building RWD-based super sedans, really.

Quote:
Australia does have RS3 Sedan and CLA45 (damn ugly though). I like the RS3's size, and power but the exterior just looks so boring...
Agree that neither one is aesthetically exciting as an M car. Not sure a 1M sedan would be too much better if BMW built one though. Perhaps the FWD proportions are ultimately to blame. However, I do think that there is room for improvement.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 08:46 PM   #7
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Im also a sedan guy but the M2 is a great lil car and in the future when it gets an engine upgrade it'll be even better.. I would consider it
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 10:21 PM   #8
Monkeyboxers
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The__J__Factor View Post
But for $100k a F-Type sounds/looks way more appealing to me.
Where can you find a $100K brand new F-Type in Australia?!

I would need to test drive a RS3 Sedan, but looks alone, I won't buy it. I understand 4 doors on a smaller (2 series) car isn't as practical as a 3 series, but I do believe there is market for young couples that are starting a family that doesn't need to seat 2 adults at the back.

Then again, if I was able to afford a M3, I wouldn't be here writing wanting a "smaller/cheaper" version of M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 12:45 AM   #9
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

^ Yeah wouldn't be new but that wouldn't stop me.

You are right though if BMW could make a RS3 sized 4 door with the liveliness and handling of the M2 it would be a RS3/CLA45 beater. BMW would probably fuck up the looks though and make some sort of GT out of it instead.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 06:08 AM   #10
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

How ironic that in a day where BMW spends every waking moment filling every single niche possible we have a poster that can't get an M-powered RWD small sedan from BMW, which was arguably the one niche that only BMW once filled...
Appreciate 1
Law6379.00
      07-05-2017, 07:13 AM   #11
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

I've said for the longest time if they made a 240/M2 sedan/grand coupe with a manual I'd buy 5 of them
      07-05-2017, 07:45 AM   #12
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanks21 View Post
I've said for the longest time if they made a 240/M2 sedan/grand coupe with a manual I'd buy 5 of them
I already have a deposit down just in case
Appreciate 1
mbanks211267.50
      07-05-2017, 08:27 AM   #13
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

These posts should auto-direct to the ones about how they are going to kill the MT b/c of too much dispersion, and simplify to just one engine/tranny per model level.

IDK what prices are in Australia, but here it is only $12k difference between the M2 and the M3 (20-25% of base msrp's), so not a whole lot of 'daylight' to slot in another 4-door M-car, even if it did use an established powertrain to save devo costs. And with the 320 being about the same cost as base 228 (and only a TINY bit bigger) I think they already have this territory pretty well covered. Hot hatch seems like a much more viable market segment for a new devo, with added storage versatility and it could also bring in tuner types who are new to BMW (at least to ones less than 10 yrs old).
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 08:44 AM   #14
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
These posts should auto-direct to the ones about how they are going to kill the MT b/c of too much dispersion, and simplify to just one engine/tranny per model level.

IDK what prices are in Australia, but here it is only $12k difference between the M2 and the M3 (20-25% of base msrp's), so not a whole lot of 'daylight' to slot in another 4-door M-car, even if it did use an established powertrain to save devo costs. And with the 320 being about the same cost as base 228 (and only a TINY bit bigger) I think they already have this territory pretty well covered. Hot hatch seems like a much more viable market segment for a new devo, with added storage versatility and it could also bring in tuner types who are new to BMW (at least to ones less than 10 yrs old).
Unfortunately I think we'll see something along the lines a 3 GT M40 before we see a hot hatch here in the U.S. As disgusting as that vehicle would be, it would sell better here (not to mention China).
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 08:51 AM   #15
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
IDK what prices are in Australia, but here it is only $12k difference between the M2 and the M3 (20-25% of base msrp's), so not a whole lot of 'daylight' to slot in another 4-door M-car, even if it did use an established powertrain to save devo costs.
No need to "slot" anything. A 1M sedan or M2 GC would be priced within a couple thousand dollars of an M2 coupe just like the M3 is priced within a couple thousand dollars of an M4 coupe.

There are no doubt some challenges to introducing this product, but figuring out how to price it does not strike me at all as one of them.

Quote:
Hot hatch seems like a much more viable market segment for a new devo, with added storage versatility and it could also bring in tuner types who are new to BMW (at least to ones less than 10 yrs old).
Still no evidence that high performance compact luxury hatchbacks are viable in the US. There is the A3 e-tron and Lexus CT, but those are far from 'hot'. Maybe in a decade-ish when PHEVs and EVs become the norm in high performance segments this can be revisited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Unfortunately I think we'll see something along the lines a 3 GT M40 before we see a hot hatch here in the U.S.
That's already basically a lock for the G24. Though we can expect it will be called M440i GT since this product will be switching to an even numbered name similar to the new G32 640i GT.
Appreciate 0