BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions New 520D MSport

03-03-2017, 04:58 AM   #1
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

New 520D MSport

I have just got my own Alpine white G30 520D MSport with
cognac interior and rhombicle aluminium with
technology pack
visibilty pack
reverse assist camera
exterior folding mirror
steering wheel heating
apple car play
remote services
The technology pack includes head up display, wireless charging, enhance bluetooth, display key, wifi hotspot and gesture control
so far there is no speed limit display shown.

The car is superb in appearance and ride. Everybody in the family loves it and within 12 hours we have done more than 60 miles. It is agile, handles well and 'glides over the potholes' as my son put it. The Eco-pro and Sport modes are customisable.

The 2 Litre engine does scream a bit if pressed hard. The comfort mode is okay most times, I have not seen the need to be using Sport mode most times except for the moment of just 'wanting to use it' unlike with my F10

The reverse camera is wider in coverage, the same with PDC and the ambient lighting is superb. The Dakota leather sport seats are softer than F10's and the car is quieter inside with less road noise and tyre noise. Mine came Michelin primacy. The 18 inch 5 spoke- allow wheels suit the car very well with sporty and elegant look. I prefer them to dark wheels and I am no longer changing to 19 or 20 wheels. I don't see any need for VDC

The two finger customisable gesture control is quite useful for me, I have customised it to bring up recent phone calls and it does work all the time, if you follow the instruction of making sure your hand is under the the rear view mirror pointing at idrive. The same with gesture control to alter the volume of radio. The idrive is far better than in F10s, you just give natural commands for navigation like take me to 'macdonals' and it would list all the macdonalds near you or phone so and so.

The apple CarPlay is very useful to listen to message whilst driving as well as dictate (if you have configured your 'hey Siri' to understand your accent). Mine also has screen mirroring for android phones and it does work.

Overall, the car look more luxurious and sporty than F10 and feels more expensive inside. The car is probably not 'photogenic' and looks much better in reality that in picture

Any upgrade I would suggest is a bigger engine if you think you need it, otherwise the 2 Litre engine is more than capable

I love the car, hopefully I would be able to keep it for a long time

Pictures might come later but unlikely. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 05:08 AM   #2
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
I have just got my own Alpine white G30 520D MSport with
cognac interior and rhombicle aluminium with
technology pack
visibilty pack
reverse assist camera
exterior folding mirror
steering wheel heating
apple car play
remote services
The technology pack includes head up display, wireless charging, enhance bluetooth, display key, wifi hotspot and gesture control

The car is superb in appearance and ride. Everybody in the family loves it and within 12 hours we have done more than 60 miles. It is agile, handles well and 'glides over the potholes' as my son put it. The Eco-pro and Sport modes are customisable.

The 2 Litre engine does scream a bit if pressed hard. The comfort mode is okay most times, I have not seen the need to be using Sport mode most times except for the moment of just 'wanting to use it' unlike with my F10

The reverse camera is wider in coverage, the same with PDC and the ambient lighting is superb. The Dakota leather sport seats are softer than F10's and the car is quieter inside with less road noise and tyre noise. Mine came Michelin primacy. The 18 inch 5 spoke- allow wheels suit the car very well with sporty and elegant look. I prefer them to dark wheels and I am no longer changing to 19 or 20 wheels. I don't see any need for VDC

The two finger customisable gesture control is quite useful for me, I have customised it to bring up recent phone calls and it does work all the time, if you follow the instruction of making sure your hand is under the the rear view mirror pointing at idrive. The same with gesture control to alter the volume of radio. The idrive is far better than in F10s, you just give natural commands for navigation like take me to 'macdonals' and it would list all the macdonalds near you or phone so and so.

The apple CarPlay is very useful to listen to message whilst driving as well as dictate (if you have configured your 'hey Siri' to understand your accent). Mine also has screen mirroring for android phones and it does work.

Overall, the car look more luxurious and sporty than F10 and feels more expensive inside. The car is probably not 'photogenic' and looks much better in reality that in picture

Any upgrade I would suggest is a bigger engine if you think you need it, otherwise the 2 Litre engine is more than capable

I love the car, hopefully I would be able to keep it for a long time

Pictures might come later but unlikely. Thank you.
Congratulations on your new car. I hope to be picking mine up next week. I am interested to hear that you don't feel the need for VDC. So many reviews say that is essential and I have been a bit concerned about not having ordered it. What stereo system do you have? Also what does the Cognac look like in real life? I'm getting Cognac with the dark wood. Looking forward to seeing some pics!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 05:18 AM   #3
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
Congratulations on your new car. I hope to be picking mine up next week. I am interested to hear that you don't feel the need for VDC. So many reviews say that is essential and I have been a bit concerned about not having ordered it. What stereo system do you have? Also what does the Cognac look like in real life> I'm getting Cognac with the dark wood.
Mine is an ordinary BMW stereo. I do not listen to music only BBC radio 4 (a talk-show station) and the DAB FM sounds clear and distinctive in tone. With 18 inch wheel I do not think VDC is essential. Have driven an F10 535D with VDC before and it was floaty in Comfort mode.

I am not the best with aesthetic but Cognac looks like in between brown and orange and it does look very nice. My wife and daughter say so as well (they are very particular about aesthetic and colour combinations). One of the ambient lighting colours (bronze) rhymes with it very well during the day especially on the door strip and the dash.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 09:30 AM   #4
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

Based on the 2 G30s I've driven so far, I'm inclined to agree that VDC is not needed. Passive MSport suspension and sensible sized wheels may even be the ideal.

p.s. congratulations on the car and glad you're so pleased with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 10:16 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by morellomax View Post
Based on the 2 G30s I've driven so far, I'm inclined to agree that VDC is not needed. Passive MSport suspension and sensible sized wheels may even be the ideal.
And there's the rub, most will be specced with 19" or 20" wheels and M-sport suspension, the ride quality will be compromised.

Does also depend on what roads we use, someone's "not necessary" will be another driver's essential option.

Defining ride quality is never easy, it's subjective and opinion based. It's good to read it is generally accepted the G30 has moved the game on, that has to be positive.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 11:08 AM   #6
M8 JTD
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d & 718 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Congratulations!

Regarding the Speed Limit Display, I believe you need either the Driving Assistant or Driving Assistant Plus options/packs for that.

Anyway, enjoy!
Previous Other: Caterham 620, Lotus Exige S, TVR Cerbera
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 11:51 AM   #7
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

The gesture controls work well, the one of whooshing away unwanted voice prompts, calls and traffic information is quite useful.

This is the first time I would have a head up display. It is clear and large, distant as if located at the tip of the bonnet and not obstructive at all. On account of it I do not need voice guidance for navigation any longer and I can enjoy my BBC 4 programmes uninterrupted. The ability to see the speed I am doing continuously without needing to bend to look at the instrument cluster is career and reputation saving (a bit of hyperbole) as I do need to report any form of contact with the police or justice system, including speeding fines at my annual appraisal at work.

I do a bit of driving, used to be 25,000 miles/year but now slightly over 15,000 miles per year and I am beginning to think I might get a smaller car to split my mileage so that I could keep this G30 for a long while before it approaches the dreaded 100,000 mileage
Appreciate 0