BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Collection experience

03-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #1
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Collection experience

I'm sitting in the dealership where I've been for the last 4 hours. When I went to drive the car I discovered that there was no satnav. Turns out it is some kind of software glitch. The car has been hooked up to a computer for the last 3 hours while I sit waiting. Absolutely ruined the new car collection experience. Hopefully the problem will be properly sorted but this has left a very sour taste re the dealer and BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 10:36 AM   #2
bimmerlife208
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
I'm sitting in the dealership where I've been for the last 4 hours. When I went to drive the car I discovered that there was no satnav. Turns out it is some kind of software glitch. The car has been hooked up to a computer for the last 3 hours while I sit waiting. Absolutely ruined the new car collection experience. Hopefully the problem will be properly sorted but this has left a very sour taste re the dealer and BMW.
That sucks! Didn't they check if the sat nav worked fined at the vehicle processing center? I thought that's what they do there???
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 10:38 AM   #3
MMY
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G30 530d M Sport Med Blue

Quote:
Happened to me when I picked up a 142 pre-registered car two hours from where I live; they sent me a code to activate the satnav .... which didn't work... had to drop the car back and they kept it a few days before sorting it... and then the four hour round trip to collect it again.. and all I got was a BMW golf umbrella and three golf balls for my trouble. My G30 due in a couple of weeks is only an hour away but I trust they will have done a proper pre-delivery inspection before they call me, that's a pretty basic thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 10:50 AM   #4
andrew520d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5 25d

BMW will contact you after about your experience buying the car.
This is extremely important to the sales guys as they will always ask you to give them top marks when contacted.
Might not do any harm to mention how unhappy you are now in the dealer and how you may not be able to give a favourable review...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 10:50 AM   #5
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep

I hope you have better luck collecting your G30 than I'm having. 4 hours sitting here in Colm Quinn's in Galway and no sign of getting away to start on a 4 hour trip home. Of course this should have been sorted in the PDI. Been looking forward to this day for months and it's turned into a joke.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 11:00 AM   #6
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew520d View Post
This is extremely important to the sales guys as they will always ask you to give them top marks when contacted.
Might not do any harm to mention how unhappy you are now in the dealer and how you may not be able to give a favourable review...
May not is an understatement. The report il. Be giving re the buying experience will be extremely damning!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Not a good start is it? Looks like you are not the only one having delivery issues today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfoggy View Post
Well not going well so far !!

Wrong diffuser
Scratched interior trims
Two warnings - right indicator & right brake light
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...5#post21443905
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 12:44 PM   #8
BiGFather
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive Mperformance

I cant imagine something like this happends to me..

I will have pianoblack so the chance is bigger.. How did u react please ? "hey here are scratches" or "what the f*ck is this?"

This is gonna be my 1st new car ever so I dont know how to behave if I find something and how should I react if I want to solve it.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 01:43 PM   #9
Shakespere
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: Bmw G30 530D xdrive

Quote:
So sorry to hear that... i know how hard you have been waitign for this day.
Mine is sitting at dealer since friday and delivery is going to be by this week thursday or then monday as i am not in town on friday.... I remember when i picked up my f10, the ambient light was not working and when i drove back they were checiking software and all and no error was showing. They wanted to keep the car and it was a weekend so i said i will bring it monday. All it was missign was to press the main door light control switch on the roof.... but yes was frustrating to get a new car and thought of leaving it again at dealarship..... Hope yours was sorted out...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #10
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

Sorry your big day's not going so well Chucky. Hope it all gets better from here.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #11
MMY
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Do let us know the outcome...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 02:42 PM   #12
MMY
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
4 hours sitting here in Colm Quinn's in Galway and no sign of getting away to start on a 4 hour trip home.
Btw Goes without saying that I sympathise and hope it's sorted promptly. If you're four hours from Galway you must have come from the recesses of west Cork or northern Donegal.....
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 05:26 PM   #13
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Thanks for all the kind words. Well, I'm home at last - but without my car! I left home (Donegal) at 8am. Got to dealer as planned at 12. Car seemed to be ready to go. When going through the idrive with the so-called 'BMW genius' we discovered that there was no satnav. He tried to install it with a USB stick but no luck. So they took it into the service bay and hooked it up to a computer connected to Germany. 5 hours later they told me the software update was complete but that they had to order a 'repair patch' (at least I think that's what he said) and that they would need to keep the car for a couple of days. They gave me their G30 demo (M-Sport 520d) and I departed for home at 5.30pm. It was snowing on the way home and the journey took 4 and a half hours. What a disaster. They say they will send someone up here with my car when it's ready. I prefer to drive my new car out of the garage myself but I'm not going back there. I feel totally pissed off with the whole experience.
Appreciate 1
ZigmundUK436.00
      03-20-2017, 05:42 PM   #14
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Dude that's terrible! Hope the joy of living with the car obliterates this blip.

If I were you I'd make them deliver it on truck and not driven up by some crazy guy.

Also aim for the sky with compensation - this experience is NOT what you expect with a Ł50k plus car!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 06:03 PM   #15
BiGFather
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive Mperformance

Quote:
Thanks for all the kind words. Well, I'm home at last - but without my car! I left home (Donegal) at 8am. Got to dealer as planned at 12. Car seemed to be ready to go. When going through the idrive with the so-called 'BMW genius' we discovered that there was no satnav. He tried to install it with a USB stick but no luck. So they took it into the service bay and hooked it up to a computer connected to Germany. 5 hours later they told me the software update was complete but that they had to order a 'repair patch' (at least I think that's what he said) and that they would need to keep the car for a couple of days. They gave me their G30 demo (M-Sport 520d) and I departed for home at 5.30pm. It was snowing on the way home and the journey took 4 and a half hours. What a disaster. They say they will send someone up here with my car when it's ready. I prefer to drive my new car out of the garage myself but I'm not going back there. I feel totally pissed off with the whole experience.
What a stupid joke. You have premium luxury expensive car and they are that stupid that they cant overwrite a software?
I will never let them drive my car especially 4h way. They should bring it for you on truck.

I am a bit stressed now after reading this thread.. I hope i did no mistake by buying new car. I did it because I want fresh nice car, not with scratches inside, not working ambiente or nav..

Btw you were "lucky" they told it to you. I bet here they won´t + live in hope I would not find some kind of problem

Btw 2 my friends father bought seat ibiza - new one - and when they looked at home under the car they seen 4 small holes on suspension - they dropped it from truck or something during delivery. So he got 1000€ discount.. BUT they didnt tell him he had to call them piss*d off like a bull.. Well it´s nice to see we probably need a mechanic and also stroke the car before taking it
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 06:19 PM   #16
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew520d View Post
THIS!

BMW Dealers want all 10's, all the time. Anything other than that is a FAIL. Let the dealer know they're looking at a 1 or 2 without some kind of make good.

You've got a ton of leverage right now.

That said, not surprised this happened, you're the tip of the spear on a brand new model.

Sorry you had to go through this. That sucks.
      03-20-2017, 06:56 PM   #17
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest 535i View Post
THIS!

BMW Dealers want all 10's, all the time. Anything other than that is a FAIL. Let the dealer know they're looking at a 1 or 2 without some kind of make good.

You've got a ton of leverage right now.

That said, not surprised this happened, you're the tip of the spear on a brand new model.

Sorry you had to go through this. That sucks.
Thanks - it sure has been a crap day! What kind of make good would you reckon was appropriate?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 07:09 PM   #18
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

Quote:
Thanks - it sure has been a crap day! What kind of make good would you reckon was appropriate?
M Performance Parts! If you want them.

Black Grilles, Carbon Spoiler, etc.

If you don't drive back up there for it then don't let them drive it, ensure it's delivered on a truck. That is the least they can do for you.

Thought my delivery was going bad, but you have beaten me Really not something we should be discussing though.
Appreciate 2
      03-21-2017, 03:57 AM   #19
andrew520d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5 25d

Sorry about your non pick up yesterday.
That dealer is usually very good I have heard from others but not for you obviously.
I would be very surprised if they do not try to make it up to you in some way. They definitely should anyway.
Let us know what happens.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #20
Incom
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I’ve just had a disappointing pickup experience of my own today.

A bit of background first – I’d originally ordered an X5 that arrived at Christmas. The collection of that was ruined because of a build error I discovered on the car. After a couple of days of negotiation, I agreed to take the car with a discount. I then realised the Comfort Seats with the Ventilation option that I’d ordered were extremely hard (barely any padding at all), and after a few hundred miles my back couldn’t take any more. So despite taking a financial hit, I decided replace it and order a G30 530i M Sport (and I made sure to order the seats I’d test driven this time).

So collection day arrived today and all was going well until I drove it off the dealers forecourt and an engine warning popped up – “Drive train warning – reduced power available” – so I went around the roundabout and took it straight back. They said BMW Munich needs to investigate so they’ll need it for at least 24 hours.

To have two new car pickup experiences spoiled within the course of 3 months is hugely disappointing to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 09:08 AM   #21
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep

That's terrible. It's just too bad. I'm waiting to see what kind of sweetener they come up with. But this type of crap should not be happening. Hope you get sorted soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 09:20 AM   #22
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
This is crazy. Maybe suggests something's not quite up to scratch at the plants. Did you guys know which plant your builds were coming from? I gather they've agreed to build the 5 across both germany and austria...
Appreciate 0