BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Space saver spare vs run flat tire - M550i

05-07-2017, 07:31 PM   #1
GarlicBun
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 ///M4 6MT

Space saver spare vs run flat tire - M550i

Hi all,

I'm reading some reviews and said if order space saver spare will get non run flat PPS4, is that for US spec too? If yes, how much trunk space will be sacrifice? Planning to do ED but car needs to fit 3 people plus 1 baby, 1 stroller and 4 suitcases...
Status Gruppe | Enlaes | Vosteiner | M-Performance | IND | AC Schnitzer | Autotechnik
2012 Mini Cooper S Hardtop Laser Blue/black - Ours
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicBun View Post
Hi all,

I'm reading some reviews and said if order space saver spare will get non run flat PPS4, is that for US spec too? If yes, how much trunk space will be sacrifice? Planning to do ED but car needs to fit 3 people plus 1 baby, 1 stroller and 4 suitcases...
I will take a pic later - but I think you are okay until the stroller. You do lose some fairly significant space. I don't depend on this car for all duty - so I went with the PSS4's...which I love.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 04:24 PM   #3
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtknight View Post
I will take a pic later - but I think you are okay until the stroller. You do lose some fairly significant space. I don't depend on this car for all duty - so I went with the PSS4's...which I love.
No way are you getting 4 suitacases in trunk with space saver. I have space saver. you lose 6 to 8 inches in vertical height, can 2 suitcases back there if you don't have to stack. Forget the Stroller, not happening. You can remove the spare and convert back to original trunk for these occasions where you need the room, but then you lose the spare. I have a Lexus rx 350 for this reason alone. Fit anything in back of that truck.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 08:39 AM   #4
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

^^This...

I was at the NY car show and they had two G30's side by side. I was dumbfound as to why one of them had such little trunk space. The floor was raised SIGNIFICANTLY in the car with the spare vs the car that didn't have one. Without the spare the trunk space looked about the same as my old F10.

Alan
      05-11-2017, 12:23 AM   #5
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

My car will come with run flats ,if I find them uncomfortable to drive then I will switch to conventional tires and to compromise a spare tire deletion I will put tire repair kits inside the trunk which I hope will never need to use
      05-11-2017, 03:43 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
^^This...

I was at the NY car show and they had two G30's side by side. I was dumbfound as to why one of them had such little trunk space. The floor was raised SIGNIFICANTLY in the car with the spare vs the car that didn't have one. Without the spare the trunk space looked about the same as my old F10.

Alan
The other problem.... if you ever need to change the wheel and have a loaded car and trunk, where do you put the full sized wheel you take off?

The full sized wheel needs a lot of extra trunk space.

The space saver's use of space is only part of the problem, IMO.
Appreciate 1
ST3339.50
      05-12-2017, 08:06 AM   #7
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
The other problem.... if you ever need to change the wheel and have a loaded car and trunk, where do you put the full sized wheel you take off?

most problems are usually a nail in a tire in which you can fill and drive to a repair shop. I will NEVER GO BACK TO RUNFLATS, my car drives awesome with good old fashioned tires. I will deal with those issues of trunk space if that ever happens, have been driving for 25 years and never had to change a flat on side of road.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #8
GarlicBun
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

most problems are usually a nail in a tire in which you can fill and drive to a repair shop. I will NEVER GO BACK TO RUNFLATS, my car drives awesome with good old fashioned tires. I will deal with those issues of trunk space if that ever happens, have been driving for 25 years and never had to change a flat on side of road.
This is also my concern, fun flat is just the worst idea. I live in the city and tire shop pretty much every where. Run flat is an option that cost you more, less comfort, less performance, and can't repair. I don't really want to sacrifice the 3 years of driving just that little extra trunk space
Status Gruppe | Enlaes | Vosteiner | M-Performance | IND | AC Schnitzer | Autotechnik
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 09:35 PM   #9
GarlicBun
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If anyone interested, I took this picture at UDE in LA, the trunk space became ridiculously small after the spare tire it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Nivarox1093.00
      05-18-2017, 11:40 PM   #10
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Thanks for this photo ,nobody buys a G30 5 Series for its sheer trunk capacity but it's rather disappointing given a moderate sized suitcase wouldn't fit in the car , in this case neither did it fit nor it suited well , pun intended sorry
      02-05-2019, 08:27 PM   #11
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Quote:
If anyone interested, I took this picture at UDE in LA, the trunk space became ridiculously small after the spare tire it.
Put the back seats down and put it in there. Besides who puts a suitcase in on its side. Just saying
Just FYI I believe this is the same trunk space in a 530e with all those batteries.
      02-05-2019, 10:27 PM   #12
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Hi all,

That is not true. Some of the wheel/tire packages come with it by default, but you can order the spare with any of the wheels/tires as an individual option. It's foolish not to at only $150! You can always take it out if you need the space.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 07:04 AM   #13
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Quote:
Hi all,

That is not true. Some of the wheel/tire packages come with it by default, but you can order the spare with any of the wheels/tires as an individual option. It's foolish not to at only $150! You can always take it out if you need the space.
A bit tough for him though since he is doing ED, I suppose a possibility is spec it with the spare, rip it out on day 1 at BMW and have it ship to the US (given the weight probably won't be that cheap)

As to stroller stick with umbrella instead of full on stroller that will probably solve your problem if without the height reduction with the spares

By the way are we talking about toddler or baby?
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2019, 07:07 AM   #14
Skyrider01
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550ix, 2020 330i

Quote:
That is correct. The non run flat tire options automatically add the spare. But it can also be added separately with any run flat tire option.

I agree that for $150 it is worth it regardless. Even with run flats, if ever one decides to swap to non run flats later, you will already have the spare available.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2019, 07:09 AM   #15
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
Quote:
That is correct. The non run flat tire options automatically add the spare. But it can also be added separately with any run flat tire option.

I agree that for $150 it is worth it regardless. Even with run flats, if ever one decides to swap to non run flats later, you will already have the spare available.
And the genuine BMW spare tire kit will cost you over $800 after the fact.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      02-06-2019, 07:32 AM   #16
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

My 2005 Mini Cooper S, my 2007 Porsche Cayman, My 2003 HD Road King, my 2005 BMW R1200 RT, and my 2008 Honda Goldwing had no spare tire capability, and did not use runflats. Never had a problem, in hundreds of thousands of miles all over the country, carrying a Dynaplug kit, tire goop and a pump (which I never have used). My 2014 E350 (which I still own) came with runflats, which I immediately changed to go flats. It does have a space saver spare, which I have never needed to use. When the OEM runflats on my M550 are worn out, I will change to Michelin PS4S go flats. In all my years of driving (I'm 69) I have only had to change a tire once on the side of the road. That was on a 1954 Ford Crestliner with fender skirts! There is nothing you can do on a road trip with a packed car if a filthy full-sized tire is damaged. It is an untenable situation (whether you have a space saver spare or not) if it occurs, which requires a tow vehicle, unless you want to leave the wheel on the side of the road and come back for it later. Thankfully, it rarely happens. Stop worrying, get a kit as above to rescue yourself, and enjoy the benefits of tossing your runflats.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      02-06-2019, 08:37 AM   #17
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
A bit tough for him though since he is doing ED, I suppose a possibility is spec it with the spare, rip it out on day 1 at BMW and have it ship to the US (given the weight probably won't be that cheap)

As to stroller stick with umbrella instead of full on stroller that will probably solve your problem if without the height reduction with the spares

By the way are we talking about toddler or baby?
now come to think about it, maybe have BMW mail it ahead of time to save you some $$$
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 09:03 AM   #18
Zap-xpilot
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 ZCP 2017, 540ix 18 G31

Garage List
Quote:
Hi all,

Congratulations and a great experience ahead of you!
What you are describing would fit in the G31, not a G30

I understand that this doesn't help you but I think your best bet would be to buy some nice aerodynamic Thule roof racks and then perhaps even a rooftop cargo carrier.

Then you either keep them or sell them state-side.

Also, take care choosing your suitcases smartly - hard shell suitcases are a no-no, soft and squishy OK. I remember swearing at how much space a hard shell Rimowa left around in the luggage space of my M3 - couldn't fit anything else. If it were a soft suitcase I wouldn't have had a problem (insertion because of the high ridge and angled approach).

Hope those ideas help
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      02-06-2019, 09:39 AM   #19
MXNSITH
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C, 2019 i3 REX, 2010 Z4

Quote:
Hi all,

When investigating an ED for my wife's F30, we took a test drive home and loaded up the trunk to see what we could take. All it took was a conversation with the dealer and he suggested we take it home.

I would suggest you do the same.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 09:53 AM   #20
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
It looks to me like the after picture is the same as my trunk in my 530e. So the spare tire essentially reduced the trunks space to that of the phev.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 10:01 AM   #21
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Quote:
Not quite that much. BavAuto sells the kit for about $650 (just a collection of the BMW part numbers that make up the 300 option code). I was able to get a price for the same stuff from my BMW dealer parts guy for about $560 including tax. However after asking around a bit I decided not to get it, primarily due to the loss of space. I had only seen pictures of the kit in a trunk so I asked my sales guy to see if the dealership had a 5 series in stock with the spare tire kit so I could look at it and he went through the entire inventory list. Not a single option code 300 had been ordered for stock. He also said he has never ordered one for a customer in recent memory. After talking further with the parts guy I decided is was not worth doing. BTW, when I sold my 2010 535xi last fall the buyer asked if it had a spare. I said, no, it has run flats. Later I thought about it and decided to look. Sure enough, it had a space saver spare but it was in a well in the E60 so didn't take up room. Over nine years I had never used it but apparently I had ordered it. I did have a big blowout one time and the runflats worked to get me to my destination then home then to the dealer the next day. So I will take the risk. --Bob
      02-06-2019, 10:02 AM   #22
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Ten View Post
Quote:
Not quite that much. BavAuto sells the kit for about $650 (just a collection of the BMW part numbers that make up the 300 option code). I was able to get a price for the same stuff from my BMW dealer parts guy for about $560 including tax. However after asking around a bit I decided not to get it, primarily due to the loss of space. I had only seen pictures of the kit in a trunk so I asked my sales guy to see if the dealership had a 5 series in stock with the spare tire kit so I could look at it and he went through the entire inventory list. Not a single option code 300 had been ordered for stock. He also said he has never ordered one for a customer in recent memory. After talking further with the parts guy I decided is was not worth doing. BTW, when I sold my 2010 535xi last fall the buyer asked if it had a spare. I said,no, it has run flats. Later I thought about it and decided to look. Sure enough, it had a space saver spare but it was in a well in the E60 so didn't take up room. I had never used it but apparently had ordered it.. --Bob
https://www.getbmwparts.com/p-g30-5-...set-pkg30spare
Appreciate 0