BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Space saver spare vs run flat tire - M550i

02-06-2019, 10:32 AM   #23
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Yes I see that price but as I said, it can be had for less. Here is a link to the Bavarian Auto site showing the kit for a 2019 540xi for $635 before shipping and taxes.
https://www.bavauto.com/bmw-spare-tire-kit-b36000202

And the quote I got from my dealer parts department admittedly included an employee discount (I think an extra 10%) even though I don't work there anymore, and of course no shipping as I would pick it up there if I bought it. The parts quote (using the BavAuto list and their own internal information) was $519.58 and tax was $41.57 for a total of $561.15. Someone who really wanted this option could probably negotiate a price fairly close to the one I got. But as noted, I decided not to buy it to save space in the trunk. I hope I don't regret that decision! --Bob
      02-06-2019, 08:15 PM   #24
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Some have suggested they never used the spare. That has been my experience BUT... In VA you can't pass yearly safety inspection with go flats and no spare. Besides better to have one and not need it then need it (you get the idea)

A roof rack is nice. BMW makes a system that uses the mounting spots already in the roof. Don't know how the cargo pack is.
      02-07-2019, 03:00 PM   #25
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
In VA you can't pass yearly safety inspection with go flats and no spare..
Upfront disclaimer: I'm a diehard Tarheel fan, transplanted to Texas.
When I lived in Burke, VA, stationed in the Army in Washington, DC, they were supposed to have reciprocity on vehicular standards, etc with Texas for military members, but would not give me a safety inspection sticker because of light window tint, which was legal in Texas. I had to drive back to the In-laws in Dallas to get my vehicles safety inspected each year. Another reason not to like Virginia! ( Nothing personal!) Go Heels!!!!
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      02-07-2019, 06:42 PM   #26
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Quote:
When I lived in Burke, VA, stationed in the Army in Washington, DC, they were supposed to have reciprocity on vehicular standards, etc with Texas for military members, but would not give me a safety inspection sticker because of light window tint, which was legal in Texas. I had to drive back to the In-laws in Dallas to get my vehicles safety inspected each year. Another reason not to like Virginia! ( Nothing personal!) Go Heels!!!!
I have no idea what my yearly VA personal property tax will be on my new BMW but I'm sure it's expensive. Another reason to move. Everything is expensive here not CA, NJ or NY expensive. I'm ready to move to TX, FL or SC. I'm from Jersey original so go Rutgers Scarlet Nights 😩

I had my windows tinted but VA only allows 50% on front sides so I just did 50% all around. Didn't want to fail inspection.
      02-07-2019, 10:42 PM   #27
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Quote:
I have no idea what my yearly VA personal property tax will be on my new BMW but I'm sure it's expensive. Another reason to move. Everything is expensive here not CA, NJ or NY expensive. I'm ready to move to TX, FL or SC. I'm from Jersey original so go Rutgers Scarlet Nights 😩

I had my windows tinted but VA only allows 50% on front sides so I just did 50% all around. Didn't want to fail inspection.
I live in Texas and the limit is 25% on the front two windows. I have 20% all around and it's never been an issue. When you get your car inspected, go to a BMW dealership. They're not going fail you for darker tint.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      02-08-2019, 03:15 AM   #28
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
The other problem.... if you ever need to change the wheel and have a loaded car and trunk, where do you put the full sized wheel you take off?

The full sized wheel needs a lot of extra trunk space.

The space saver's use of space is only part of the problem, IMO.
Very good point.
      03-24-2019, 11:29 AM   #29
reesch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G30 540ix

Specific measurements on the trunk height with and without the BMW spare kit. It's significant impact to usable trunk space. I've removed mine for local use since I'm on RFTs for now. The carpeted cover that fits over the spare kit fits the floor well without the kit, so no mods needed there. I put a weathertech mat over it anyways. I keep a can of slime in the trunk as well as a small air pump.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-24-2019, 01:41 PM   #30
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
Another option is to get the mobility kit which fits nicely in the right side pocket. I have RFT's for summer and non-RFT's for winter and I keep the mobility kit in the trunk all year. The mobility kit is a BMW accessory.

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...IFJlc3VsdHM%3D

For those in VA, I used to live there with an M Roadster that came with no RFT tires and no spare but it came from the factory with the mobility kit and I never had a problem with the annual inspection.
Appreciate 1
reesch33.00
      03-24-2019, 02:25 PM   #31
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Really this isn't a this or that only choice. If I was ordering a new car I would definitely spend the $150 for the spare option even if I took it out. Hell you can sell it for hundreds more. Lol I don't believe that you automatically get go flats if you order the spare option. I know I didn't. Just a FYI, with the spare option you will lose the 4 tie down hooks in the trunk since they are in the way.
You can also but the BMW mobility kit for $130 and have both. Going on long trip with luggage take spare out and leave mobility in. Note the mobility kit says not for use with run flats.
Hopefully you will never need either of the 3 options. I have AAA so let them take care of it. 🤪🤪
gooselee162.00
      03-24-2019, 06:07 PM   #32
SoCal540
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicBun View Post
Hi all,

I'm reading some reviews and said if order space saver spare will get non run flat PPS4, is that for US spec too? If yes, how much trunk space will be sacrifice? Planning to do ED but car needs to fit 3 people plus 1 baby, 1 stroller and 4 suitcases...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtknight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicBun View Post
Hi all,

I'm reading some reviews and said if order space saver spare will get non run flat PPS4, is that for US spec too? If yes, how much trunk space will be sacrifice? Planning to do ED but car needs to fit 3 people plus 1 baby, 1 stroller and 4 suitcases...
I will take a pic later - but I think you are okay until the stroller. You do lose some fairly significant space. I don't depend on this car for all duty - so I went with the PSS4's...which I love.
I have the space saver spare because I'm not a fan of run flats. I'm going to estimate you lose almost a 1/3 of the height. The whole set up can be removed to gain the space back but that may be an inconvenience on a trip.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 06:48 PM   #33
reesch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G30 540ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
Another option is to get the mobility kit which fits nicely in the right side pocket. I have RFT's for summer and non-RFT's for winter and I keep the mobility kit in the trunk all year. The mobility kit is a BMW accessory.

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...IFJlc3VsdHM%3D

For those in VA, I used to live there with an M Roadster that came with no RFT tires and no spare but it came from the factory with the mobility kit and I never had a problem with the annual inspection.
Thanks. Can you use the air compressor standalone - as in just to top off tires?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 09:54 PM   #34
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by reesch View Post
Thanks. Can you use the air compressor standalone - as in just to top off tires?
Yes. There’s a switch to change between regular inflate vs sealant mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 11:52 PM   #35
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here are some pics of the space saver.
Attached Images

niju32184.50
johnung4526.50
reesch33.00
      03-26-2019, 08:02 AM   #36
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

Quote:
Looks like you do keep cargo hooks on the front. Look at the spare tire tie down strap. It’s connected to the hooks.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 08:04 AM   #37
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:
Really this isn't a this or that only choice. If I was ordering a new car I would definitely spend the $150 for the spare option even if I took it out. Hell you can sell it for hundreds more. Lol I don't believe that you automatically get go flats if you order the spare option. I know I didn't. Just a FYI, with the spare option you will lose the 4 tie down hooks in the trunk since they are in the way.
You can also but the BMW mobility kit for $130 and have both. Going on long trip with luggage take spare out and leave mobility in. Note the mobility kit says not for use with run flats.
Hopefully you will never need either of the 3 options. I have AAA so let them take care of it. 🤪🤪
You don't automatically get go-flats when you order the spare tire. However, you do automatically get the spare tire when you order go-flats.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 04:11 PM   #38
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Great photos of the space saver. It appears that the trunk in the photos is a 550? Do all of the new G30 platform cars such as the 540ix have space for it under the trunk floor?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 07:37 PM   #39
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Great photos of the space saver. It appears that the trunk in the photos is a 550? Do all of the new G30 platform cars such as the 540ix have space for it under the trunk floor?
I can't answer that actual question (I'd imagine that perhaps the 530e is different bc of battery space}, but to clarify, the floor in those pictures is not the "true" trunk floor.

Without a spare, the trunk floor on the M550 actually sits a few inches below the lip of the trunk hatch. The spare sits essentially within that few inches of space, raising the floor to be even with the top of the bumper/bottom of the trunk hatch.

As the photos show, you can remove the spare and reinstall the floor back into its non-spare location a few inches lower.

In my personal use, I've never struggled for trunk space even with the spare installed. I removed it just to see once and it was maybe a 5 min process to take it out, go "hmm", and then put it all back.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 07:48 PM   #40
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Quote:
I use that space to put grocery bags in there so they don't bounce all around the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 11:09 PM   #41
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I use that space to put grocery bags in there so they don't bounce all around the trunk.
The pics I posted are of my 540ixM. So in answer to your question, yes it fits.
It doesn't work with the 530e because of the batteries 🔋.
      04-19-2019, 08:36 AM   #42
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
I've also found that the little storage cubby by the passenger side wheel well *exactly* fits a 1 dozen egg carton. Haven't yet figured out a good way to load fridge packs of Coke in there without having them slide around. Part of this is attributed to me taking corners too fast, though.
Appreciate 0