BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Air Conditioning

06-22-2017, 03:59 PM   #23
BiGFather
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive Mperformance

I think there might be only software problem?

The G30 has new thing, closeable grill. I guess when u start an engine its closed so if you have car on open air with closed grill its hot. So maybe is there any chance for correction of this..???

its only my tip. I have no clue whats happening + I still dont have my car yet.
Actually we got 34 Celsius so it would be nice for testing. Hope its going to be in aprox one month +- like now and then I will test it :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 05:20 PM   #24
Laki021
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

Nothing to test, it works just fine...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 08:07 PM   #25
911Fanatic
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i MSport

Update on day 2 in the shop...

My service advisor called me to give me an update. I have to say that he is very nice and so far being very transparent on the issue with my car.

I will try to recall what he told me, but I am not a mechanic so please forgive I mistate anything.

They have discovered that the fan is not getting the required voltage. The engine management system is reading the fact that the fan is not getting enough voltage as overheating problem. To prevent the engine from overheating the system cuts power to the AC, which is why I was seeing it cut off on acceleration and putting demand on the engine.

They are not sure where the voltage loss is coming from. There is no other indication of an electrical fault. BMW has told them to replace the fan itself and its on order. Should be here on Monday and they will install and re test.

I know not all of the AC complaints are the same as mine, but I beieve the OP was having a similar experience. Maybe this can assist him with a possible diagnosis.

At any rate, will follow up once I see how the fan transplant goes.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 12:07 AM   #26
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Hmm engine overheating.. again that may be because of closed grills in wrong time? Or some big engine problem 🙈

Does it happen in all G30 or just some engines?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 03:08 AM   #27
CryptoManiac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ordered BMW 520d Touring G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911Fanatic View Post
Update on day 2 in the shop...

They have discovered that the fan is not getting the required voltage. The engine management system is reading the fact that the fan is not getting enough voltage as overheating problem. To prevent the engine from overheating the system cuts power to the AC, which is why I was seeing it cut off on acceleration and putting demand on the engine.
With "the fan" you mean the fan that is cooling the coolant of the engine?

So basically, your engine cooling is failing and the "smart" car is trying to help cool down the engine by disabling the AC. So the problem is NOT with the AC, but with engine cooling (which is worse). :-(
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 11:02 AM   #28
911Fanatic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptoManiac View Post
With "the fan" you mean the fan that is cooling the coolant of the engine?

So basically, your engine cooling is failing and the "smart" car is trying to help cool down the engine by disabling the AC. So the problem is NOT with the AC, but with engine cooling (which is worse). :-(
I spoke with service again to gain a better understanding of the issue.

Yes, I mean the fan that cools the radiator is the fan they think is experiencing a voltage issue.

I say think, because they cannot confirm at this point a voltage issue in the car. However the car "thinks" it has a voltage issue and is drawing power away from the AC. They are not sure if this will solve the issue, but perhaps when they change the fan the car will "read" it correctly, or if there is an actual voltage fluctuation the new fan will not have it.

Let me be clear, the engine has never overheated or displayed any indication that is getting hotter than normal operation temps.

I mentioned there was another car with the exact same issue in the shop. Its a 540i. BMW is having them do the exact same fan swap on both, however I guess mine is the guinea pig to see if it works. If it does then, then they will repair the 540i the same way.

Base on other things I have noticed with the car, I just feel there is something off with it.. maybe software or electric. While I hope that this does fix my issue, I just am not too confident it will.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 01:18 PM   #29
Macca66
Registered
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xdrive

Just to put the air-con argument to bed (hopefully!) took delivery of 540i xdrive on 21st June. Temperatures here in UK were 33 celsius/ 91 Fahrenheit - the aircon on full was so cold it was painful! As an aside; going from dashboard at incredible heat from being in the sun to maximum 'chill' and back again did not result in any noises or cracking sounds from the dash - possibly a few gremlins sorted out on the production line?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 12:48 AM   #30
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca66 View Post
Just to put the air-con argument to bed (hopefully!) took delivery of 540i xdrive on 21st June. Temperatures here in UK were 33 celsius/ 91 Fahrenheit - the aircon on full was so cold it was painful! As an aside; going from dashboard at incredible heat from being in the sun to maximum 'chill' and back again did not result in any noises or cracking sounds from the dash - possibly a few gremlins sorted out on the production line?
Hopefully yes, good to see but as an old English saying don't count the chickens before they hatch to adopt this word don't say it doesn't crack before sun scalds . Mine is late May or June production I will let you know if it makes cracking noises or poor A/C performance
      06-24-2017, 10:26 AM   #31
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

My parents $10,000 mitsubishi has a better air conditioner
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 11:14 AM   #32
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
My parents $10,000 mitsubishi has a better air conditioner
So does my wife's 6 year old Kia Rio.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 07:28 PM   #33
540Island
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i

Quote:
I spoke with service again to gain a better understanding of the issue.

Yes, I mean the fan that cools the radiator is the fan they think is experiencing a voltage issue.

I say think, because they cannot confirm at this point a voltage issue in the car. However the car "thinks" it has a voltage issue and is drawing power away from the AC. They are not sure if this will solve the issue, but perhaps when they change the fan the car will "read" it correctly, or if there is an actual voltage fluctuation the new fan will not have it.

Let me be clear, the engine has never overheated or displayed any indication that is getting hotter than normal operation temps.

I mentioned there was another car with the exact same issue in the shop. Its a 540i. BMW is having them do the exact same fan swap on both, however I guess mine is the guinea pig to see if it works. If it does then, then they will repair the 540i the same way.

Base on other things I have noticed with the car, I just feel there is something off with it.. maybe software or electric. While I hope that this does fix my issue, I just am not too confident it will.
Thank you for the updates, I am having the same issues with my car but my service dept doesn't have any loaner cars so they don't want to put my car in service since they don't know what is wrong. Its so hot this whole week has been 115+ outside and my car just doesnt cool off even with tinted windows.
      06-25-2017, 05:39 AM   #34
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Just to put this in perspective, not trying to boast or something like that. My G30 (Feb production) doesn't have the problem of AC or dashboard cracking noise
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 05:59 AM   #35
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Just to put this in perspective, not trying to boast or something like that. My G30 (Feb production) doesn't have the problem of AC or dashboard cracking noise
Hello mate. Can you please share your engine spec and equipment?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 06:23 AM   #36
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGFather View Post
Hello mate. Can you please share your engine spec and equipment?

B47 Engine 520d M Sport Alpine White with Cognac interior with technology and Visibility Packages. The other added options, are apple CarPlay, remote services, reversing camera, heated steering wheel and automatic folding mirror.

Don't make my mistakes, my other options minus CarPlay would have been the same price as a comfort package. I am still seething.

Pasted Below in details
Type JC32
Model 520d - EUR
Development Code G30
Chassis LIM
Steering RL
Doors 4
Engine B47O
Displacement 2.00
Power 140
Drivetrain HECK
Transmission AUT
Color Alpinweiss 3 - 300
Upholstery Led.dak./cognac.ex./keder In Kontr - LCRO
Production Plant DINGOLFING
Production Date 2017-02

Options
1CA Selection Cop Relevant Vehicles Selektion Cop Relevanter Fahrzeuge
1CB Co2 Content Co2 Umfang
2PA Locking Wheel Bolts Radschraubensicherung
2TE Automatic Transmission W.gearshift Automatic Getriebe Mit Schaltwippen
2VB Tyre Pressure Indicator Reifendruckanzeige
21N 18"m Lt/a.w.do.sp.spoke 662 M /mt 18"m Lm Raed.do.spei. 662 M/mb
230 Eu Specific Additional Equipment Eu Spezifische Zusatzumfaenge
248 Steering Wheel Heating Lenkradheizung
258 Runflat Tyres Bereifung Mit Notlaufeigenschaften
3AG Backup Camera Rueckfahrkamera
3DS Bmw Display Key Bmw Display Schluessel
302 Alarm System Alarmanlage
320 Model Designation, Deletion Modellschriftzug Entfall

337 M Sport Package M Sportpaket
4AW Instrument Panel Sensatec Instrumententafel In Sensatec
4K7 Int.t.fin.alu.rhom.w.hi.t.f.pe.chr Int.l. Alu.rhomb.m. Akz.l.pe.chrom
4T8 Mirror, Automatically Dimming Aussenspiegel, Automatisch Abblende
4UR Ambient Light Ambientes Licht
423 Floor Mats, Velour Fussmatten In Velours
428 Warning Triangle Warndreieck
481 Sport Seats F Driver/front Passenger Sportsitze Fuer Fahrer/beifahrer
494 Seat Heating F Driver/front Passenger Sitzheizung Fuer Fahrer/beifahrer
5AC Autom. High-beam Headlights Control Fernlichtassistent
5AV Active Guard Active Guard
5A1 Led-fog Lights Led-nebelscheinwerfer
502 Headlight Washer System Scheinwerfer-waschanlage
508 Park Distance Control (pdc) Park Distance Control (pdc)
534 Automatic Air Conditioning Klimaautomatik
552 Adaptive Led Headlight Adaptiver Led-scheinwerfer
6AC Intelligent Emergency Call Intelligenter Notruf
6AE Teleservices Teleservices
6AK Connecteddrive Services Connecteddrive Services
6AM Real Time Traffic Information Real Time Traffic Information
6AP Remote Services Remote Services
6CP Apple Carplay Preparation Apple Carplay Vorbereitung
6NW Telephony With Wireless Charging Telefonie Mit Wireless Charging
6U8 Bmw Gesture Control Bmw Gestiksteuerung
6WB Multifunctional Instrument Display Multifunktionales Instrumentendispl
6WD Wifi Hotspot Wlan Hotspot
609 Navigation System Professional Navigationssystem Professional
610 Head Up Display Head-up Display
650 Cd Player Cd-laufwerk
654 Dab Tuner Dab Tuner
704 M Sport Suspension M Sportfahrwerk
710 M Leather Steering Wheel M Lederlenkrad
715 M Aerodynamics Package M Aerodynamikpaket
760 Individual High-gloss Satin Chrome Individual Hochglanz Shadow Line
775 Individual Roof-lining Anthracite Individual Dachhimmel Anthrazit
8KA Oelservice Int. 30.000 Km/24 Months Oelwartungsint. 30.000km/24monate
8R9 Refrigerant Kaeltemittel
8SM Vin, Visible From Outside Fahrgestellnummer,v.aussen Sichtbar
8S2 Coding Of Alarm Signal Kodierung Alarmsignal
8S3 Automatic Lock When Driving Away Autom. Verriegelung Beim Anfahren
8TF Active Protection For Pedestrians Aktiver Fussgaengerschutz.
8TG Anti-theft System Diebstahlsicherung
812 England Version England/irland Ausfuehrung
850 Add Fuel Tank Filling For Export Zusaetzl. Tankfuellung Export
880 English / On-board Documentation Englisch / Bordliteratur

Last edited by babaikram; 06-30-2017 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 04:42 PM   #37
chasedeez1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 540i

Im feel my A/C temp is not very cold when set on 60 which is the lowest. My car was prod in Jan 2017
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 05:08 PM   #38
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca66 View Post
Ooooh. Can someone confirm a part number difference so that we can get a change for our poor cars that still crackle.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 04:46 PM   #39
911Fanatic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540Island View Post
Thank you for the updates, I am having the same issues with my car but my service dept doesn't have any loaner cars so they don't want to put my car in service since they don't know what is wrong. Its so hot this whole week has been 115+ outside and my car just doesnt cool off even with tinted windows.
I feel your pain - it was brutal in Phoenix this past week too.

Here is my Monday update:

BMW decided not to change the fan. They stopped the service center from installing it after it was delivered. It appears the consensus is that replacing a part that does not seem to be defective is probably not going to resolve the issue.

They want to keep my car indefinitely, while they work the issue. I guess I am okay with this, since driving it around would suck in this heat. I have a X1 as a loner.

About 2 weeks after I bought the car, the gear shift had to be replaced as it would not stay or even engage Sport mode. They had to order that part as well. There are other electrical bugs that are harder to nail down as well...home link not working 100% of the time, seat memory to name a few.

Yes, I ruled out operator error on all of the above. After the gear shift was replaced, I could have lived with the small annoyances. The AC however is not something I could live with. I like the car, but at this point I am pretty frustrated. My first and most likely last BMW.

I am glad most of you are not dealing with this issue.

Last edited by 911Fanatic; 06-26-2017 at 07:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 08:07 PM   #40
bounty78
Mike
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: F10 528i M Sport LCI

Garage List
Quote:

BMW decided not to change the fan. They stopped the service center from installing it after it was delivered. It appears the consensus is that replacing a part that does not seem to be defective is probably not going to resolve the issue.

They want to keep my car indefinitely, while they work the issue. I guess I am okay with this, since driving it around would suck in this heat. I have a X1 as a loner.

About 2 weeks after I bought the car, the gear shift had to be replaced as it would not stay or even engage Sport mode. They had to order that part as well. There are other electrical bugs that are harder to nail down as well...home link not working 100% of the time, seat memory to name a few.

Yes, I ruled out operator error on all of the above. After the gear shift was replaced, I could have lived with the small annoyances. The AC however is not something I could live with. I like the car, but at this point I am pretty frustrated. My first and most likely last BMW.

I think you might have a case for rejecting the car and enacting the lemon law
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 10:08 PM   #41
540Island
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i

Quote:

Yeah I just don't understand how they can't figure out whats wrong with it. My Bmw dealer told me today another 540 is actually there as well. But still no loaners available. Kind of crazy
      06-27-2017, 09:40 AM   #42
911Fanatic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540Island View Post
Yeah I just don't understand how they can't figure out whats wrong with it. My Bmw dealer told me today another 540 is actually there as well. But still no loaners available. Kind of crazy
My dealership offers Enterprise cars as a back up to their loaner fleet, maybe this is an option for you?

My service rep told me yesterday they are hearing about more cars with the issue, all in "hot" areas. AZ is a testing zone for a lot of manufactures, probably due to the heat. I have seen Audi and Porsche test mules on the road and I think Nissan and Ford have proving grounds out here too. My point is I would wonder why BMW would not test here. Maybe they did, maybe this is just an anomaly in a hand full of cars in very hot areas.

I am really surprised that this is occurring at the rate it is. I am even more surprised at the fact that they have no answer.

Days of ownership: 97
Days in Service Center: 8
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 10:47 AM   #43
Shadders
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 M Sport

The air con in mine never changes speed. In auto climate it's always blowing on the second lowest fan speed. Doesn't matter if it's boiling hot or freezing cold. I have to press the MAX AC button to get the blowers to actually do anything meaningful.
      06-27-2017, 11:14 AM   #44
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

isnt it like the f10 where you need to set the intensity (or probably max intensity) for each side of the car?
this governs the maximum fan speed it will use so if you set it to say 3or 4 or even 5 leaving it in auto still and I am sure that will sort it for you.
Appreciate 0