BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Can the 530e be "tuned"?

06-17-2018, 11:41 PM   #23
SteveMondragon
Seaman
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 | I01 | G30

I have around 3500 miles on my car, and I've had the JB+ plugged into my 2018 530e for about 3000 of those miles. I actually just unplugged it a week ago to see how things felt, and I just plugged it back in tonight (and took those pictures). I again immediately could tell a difference right away.

When I unplugged the JB+, I couldn't believe how slow the car felt. When I had the boost turned up on the JB+, the car really pulled when I put the pedal down. Without the it, the car moves swiftly but nothing like before.

I did notice that there was less "hesitation" but thinking about it, it's felt more like turbo lag. Without the JB+, the car has a little bit better throttle response but not nearly as much pull. With the JB+ plugged in and the boost cranked up on the dial (just pulled back from maxing out the potentiometer), the car builds boost quickly and just takes off.

The other thing I noticed is the combustion engine kicks on a lot more frequently without the JB+ plugged in, whereas with the JB+ it would stay in full electric mode longer and more often (in Comfort mode, which is what I drive in 95% of the time). I noticed fuel economy was not impacted at all as I was getting around 450 miles per fill up, and putting in right around 10 gal of gas with the JB+ in the car.

So to answer your question, yes it will work in the 530e, and yes you can notice a good difference & bump in performance. If anything, it almost acts or feels like boost adjuster on a turbo car.
Appreciate 2
TopgearLA119.50
clee1982797.50
      06-18-2018, 10:48 AM   #24
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMondragon View Post
I did notice that there was less "hesitation" but thinking about it, it's felt more like turbo lag. Without the JB+, the car has a little bit better throttle response but not nearly as much pull. With the JB+ plugged in and the boost cranked up on the dial (just pulled back from maxing out the potentiometer), the car builds boost quickly and just takes off.
Thanks for your post! Can you go into a bit more detail in terms of the throttle response? Are you saying there is a delay in the power when you put your foot down? Does this effect takeoff or acceleration when the car is already at speed (like when merging onto a freeway)?
      06-18-2018, 11:56 AM   #25
lakerholic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e M-Sport

Quote:
I have around 3500 miles on my car, and I've had the JB+ plugged into my 2018 530e for about 3000 of those miles. I actually just unplugged it a week ago to see how things felt, and I just plugged it back in tonight (and took those pictures). I again immediately could tell a difference right away.

When I unplugged the JB+, I couldn't believe how slow the car felt. When I had the boost turned up on the JB+, the car really pulled when I put the pedal down. Without the it, the car moves swiftly but nothing like before.

The other thing I noticed is the combustion engine kicks on a lot more frequently without the JB+ plugged in, whereas with the JB+ it would stay in full electric mode longer and more often (in Comfort mode, which is what I drive in 95% of the time). I noticed fuel economy was not impacted at all as I was getting around 450 miles per fill up, and putting in right around 10 gal of gas with the JB+ in the car.

So to answer your question, yes it will work in the 530e, and yes you can notice a good difference & bump in performance. If anything, it almost acts or feels like boost adjuster on a turbo car.
These are my observations almost to the tee. I'm very happy with the JB+.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 05:39 PM   #26
sanjuvarma
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e / 2017 BMW x1

Thanks!

Quote:

Thanks so much SteveMondragon/lakerholic. I went ahead and bought the JB+ for B48 from Amazon (better return policies/shipping times).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will give it a try and post back my observations pre and post installation.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 10:24 PM   #27
sanjuvarma
United_States
Rep

Ok guys - I just installed the JB+ on my 2018 530e this evening. I was a bit nervous but I saw that this will go only in one of the map connectors and was also worried if I fitted it losely but it came out to be a snug fit. Also, I don't think the engine would have fired if I had connected it losely so all is good. I also maxed out the psi level all the way clockwise to the right (5 o-clock).

So then I took her for a spin up and down the hills, about 10-12 Miles round trip, and quite frankly, didn't notice much of a difference. I had gauged with the sport displays before the JB+ and it had tapped out at 240/300 and I had similar results after the JB+, maybe around 250/310. I drive efficiently most of the time so flooring the gas l is not what I do usually but I did most often in my "test drive" post JB+ installation, but it didn't go past 245-250ish.

Is there a break in and learning period for the JB+? Am I going to feel the difference on the freeway when I pass other cars? Tell me more ...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 04:03 AM   #28
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Med Blue 530e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuvarma View Post
Ok guys - I just installed the JB+ on my 2018 530e this evening. I was a bit nervous but I saw that this will go only in one of the map connectors and was also worried if I fitted it losely but it came out to be a snug fit. Also, I don't think the engine would have fired if I had connected it losely so all is good. I also maxed out the psi level all the way clockwise to the right (5 o-clock).

So then I took her for a spin up and down the hills, about 10-12 Miles round trip, and quite frankly, didn't notice much of a difference. I had gauged with the sport displays before the JB+ and it had tapped out at 240/300 and I had similar results after the JB+, maybe around 250/310. I drive efficiently most of the time so flooring the gas l is not what I do usually but I did most often in my "test drive" post JB+ installation, but it didn't go past 245-250ish.

Is there a break in and learning period for the JB+? Am I going to feel the difference on the freeway when I pass other cars? Tell me more ...
http://burgertuning.com/instructions...58_jb_plus.pdf did you wait 5 minutes or do anything in these instructions? id try to reinstall if you havent.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 04:23 AM   #29
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have around 3500 miles on my car, and I've had the JB+ plugged into my 2018 530e for about 3000 of those miles. I actually just unplugged it a week ago to see how things felt, and I just plugged...
What is your setting on the JB+ almost? Almost max?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 10:14 AM   #30
sanjuvarma
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgearLA View Post
Quote:
I have around 3500 miles on my car, and I've had the JB+ plugged into my 2018 530e for about 3000 of those miles. I actually just unplugged it a week ago to see how things felt, and I just plugged...
What is your setting on the JB+ almost? Almost max?
Yes it's max. And I also reinstalled it this morning after reading your reply. Can you verify if I've done this correctly. I'm thinking that the engine won't fire if it's not installed correctly right?

I've attached photos ....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 11:32 AM   #31
bpbaud
Private
Rep
Drives: 530i

That doesn't look like a good design. The only thing keeping the cables attached to the circuit board are the solder joints. No strain relief at all on the cables going into the box.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 12:07 PM   #32
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes it's max. And I also reinstalled it this morning after reading your reply. Can you verify if I've done this correctly. I'm thinking that the engine won't fire if it's not installed correctly right?

I've attached photos ....
my response was to Steve sorry, i still havent installed mine.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 12:08 PM   #33
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbaud View Post
That doesn't look like a good design. The only thing keeping the cables attached to the circuit board are the solder joints. No strain relief at all on the cables going into the box.
Never heard a single person have issue so I would imagine it's proven to be alright. Also they updated their warranty to 5 years.

Last edited by TopgearLA; 06-23-2018 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 12:11 PM   #34
jwong77
Captain
Rep

Garage List
@sanjuvarma have you contacted BMS or your seller?
      06-23-2018, 12:26 PM   #35
sanjuvarma
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwong77 View Post
@sanjuvarma have you contacted BMS or your seller?
jwong77 - yes I did, he's been super responsive, and he said that it is working, but the Sport Displays will not show the increase as the ECU thinks its still running stock. I wonder if that's true.

I bought the JB+ from Amazon though (BMS is the seller):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What's the break in period for the JB+? Or folks have felt instantaneous difference pre and post JB+?
Appreciate 1
jwong77320.50
      06-23-2018, 12:50 PM   #36
bpbaud
Private
Rep

Quote:
Never heard a single person have issue so I would imagine it's proven to be alright. Also they updated their warranty to 5 years.
That doesn't make it a good design. It just makes it a design that hasn't failed yet, as far as you know.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 01:23 PM   #37
SteveMondragon
Seaman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
my response was to Steve sorry, i still havent installed mine.
I pulled mine down from the extreme max on the pot, and have it dialed to here.

Appreciate 1
      06-23-2018, 01:29 PM   #38
SteveMondragon
Seaman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbaud View Post
The rubber grommets sandwich down when you put the case back on, making it waterproof and keeping slack on the solder joints. Lots of ECU tunes out there for other manufacturers are like this, and the soldering itself is pretty good and heavy duty for the awg wires used (this coming from somebody with an EE background).

Plus, the JB+ isn't going to be moving around while you're driving so there's no movement or stain on the connections, both on the board and at the plugs. If you secure it well with zip ties after installing the JB+, then there's nothing to worry about unless you physically yank on the box or wires.

If you don't like it or if it's not for you, then that's cool. But the choice of tunes out there (especially for the B48 motors) are limited or super expensive, but eventually I'm sure more will become available. I've spoken to Nick at VF about a HEX tune for the 530e, and I might leave my car with them to create something. However, even with a discount from them, their tunes are expensive for the amount of power increase you'd get out of the B48 engines (spend that same amount on a S65 or AMG tune and you'll see & feel some real noticeable gains)
Appreciate 3
      06-23-2018, 04:06 PM   #39
bpbaud
Private
Rep

It's not hard to do.

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 04:34 PM   #40
jwong77
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Pretty disappointing about sanjuvarma results. I wonder if the Dinan tune is worth a try? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-dinan-pa...d440-0012~din/

ECS claims it is compatible with the G30 530e.
      06-25-2018, 04:49 PM   #41
sanjuvarma
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Pretty disappointing about sanjuvarma results. I wonder if the Dinan tune is worth a try? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-dinan-pa...d440-0012~din/

Well, I plan to drive around with the JB+ installed (been 5 days) for a few more days, and then remove it for 1-2 days and then try to tell the difference. If I don't feel it again, I might then try the Dinan tuner that you mentioned above. I have 25 days left to return the JB+ which I bought on Amazon.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 09:31 PM   #42
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

But at that cost I don’t think it is. If you’re curious try the JB+ yourself. Every other member that’s used it seems to have great results so I I can’t speak to the issues here. I’ll be installing mine this week at about 500 miles on the odometer. I’ll post what I think. I find the 530e is faster than I’d assumed from test drives anyhow. It’s quietness is actually getting me in way high speeds without realizing and I get to 50 mph just as quick as I was in a 435. N I know it’s no v6 but the engine noise but does make is pretty nice for a 4 cylinder
Appreciate 1
jwong77320.50
      06-25-2018, 11:05 PM   #43
sanjuvarma
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But at that cost I don’t think it is. If you’re curious try the JB+ yourself. Every other member that’s used it seems to have great results so I I can’t speak to the issues here. I’ll be installing mine this week at about 500 miles on the odometer. I’ll post what I think. I find the 530e is faster than I’d assumed from test drives anyhow. It’s quietness is actually getting me in way high speeds without realizing and I get to 50 mph just as quick as I was in a 435. N I know it’s no v6 but the engine noise but does make is pretty nice for a 4 cylinder
Spoke to a tech at BMS this morning about some of my observations. He said that if there is no Check Engine light, it is working fine, he said it takes about 2-3 driving cycles to kick in, and I'm actually beyond that now. Also, he said that the 530e is 507 lbs heavier than the 530i, so it suffers in handling a bit, so the JB+ feels quicker on a 530i than the 530e.

TopgearLA - when you install yours, let's share our experiences.
Appreciate 1
jwong77320.50
      06-26-2018, 01:25 AM   #44
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Spoke to a tech at BMS this morning about some of my observations. He said that if there is no Check Engine light, it is working fine, he said it takes about 2-3 driving cycles to kick in, and I'm actually beyond that now. Also, he said that the 530e is 507 lbs heavier than the 530i, so it suffers in handling a bit, so the JB+ feels quicker on a 530i than the 530e.

TopgearLA - when you install yours, let's share our experiences.
Will do but I gotta say I’ve often been my own weight savings lol. I’m pretty slim n short Haha. I’m hopeful that I’ll feel it n considering I barely ever have a full battery I may see impact more than others. It’s only really helps the gas engine anyhow so I should be pretty keen to any change. We shall see- in the end my sensitivity may still be different than yours but coming from a faster more aggressive car I think I’ll have fair gauge. I’m not sure what a race cycle is however. Like is that a few fill ups, certain mileage or rpms?
Appreciate 0