BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 issues?

07-03-2018, 09:57 PM   #67
Dhafer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530i M sport 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksy View Post
I got in the car this morning on my way to work and main screen kept dying and rebooting about 9 times in total but all worked when rebooting, I thought I will stop get out and lock car leave it a couple of minutes and the try again, when I did nothing would connect, no radio, sat nat. Connected drive, phone not connect, no apply playband speech button on steering wheel not working, rang dealer and they said seen it before either update system or needs new head unit ££££££, glad it is still under warranty, I will let you know how I get on booked in next Wednesday.
Did you solve it?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 09:10 AM   #68
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0_steve View Post
I'm the guy that has had issues since day 1. 28 days out of service in the first six months. Most of the annoyances that were unresolved I've learned to just live with but look forward to unloading this car soon.

Lesson learned on being early buyer of a new model.
So, why didn't you lemon law the car?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 09:52 AM   #69
KevinIdaho
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540dx

BMW Recall is it a secret

My new 2018 BMW 540dx finally got built and shipped to the dealer. It's now been at the dealer for 1 week they won't deliver the car to me. They say BMW contacted them about a crank shaft sensor and they are waiting to hear back from BMW what to do about it. If the issue is so big they won't release the car then why doesn't it show up as an issue anywhere?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #70
telboy92
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530d

Angry Crank Shaft Sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinIdaho View Post
My new 2018 BMW 540dx finally got built and shipped to the dealer. It's now been at the dealer for 1 week they won't deliver the car to me. They say BMW contacted them about a crank shaft sensor and they are waiting to hear back from BMW what to do about it. If the issue is so big they won't release the car then why doesn't it show up as an issue anywhere?
Picked my new 530d up on 29/06/18 trading in my F10 530d (fantastic car, never murmured). Love the car, could not have been happier until it slipped into limp home mode the next day! I reset it and 5 days passed with it being fine, then limp mode again. BMW recovered it, called me 2 days later to say the fault had been diagnosed as a crank shaft sensor, unfortunately there was not a fix available so my car now sits with the dealer awaiting BMW to either produce a patch or part! Will update ongoing.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 04:24 AM   #71
The Donald
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 520d G30

i have a slight problem of water getting into the passenger side doors when it rains / car wash. when i scroll down the windows and back up again , there will be water on the glass window panel.

while the other 3 windows are dry when i do this.

not sure if this is normal...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 08:22 AM   #72
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Donald View Post
i have a slight problem of water getting into the passenger side doors when it rains / car wash. when i scroll down the windows and back up again , there will be water on the glass window panel.

Interesting...I get the same....on ll four windows.
But its the rubber bit at the top of the door where the water actually sits.

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 10:16 PM   #73
The Donald
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 520d G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balster View Post
Interesting...I get the same....on ll four windows.
But its the rubber bit at the top of the door where the water actually sits.

i noticed this when i was changing the speakers (bavsound) for my G30.

after i washed my car, i proceeded to swap the speakers, after removing the door panels i noticed that the passenger side door (insides) was wet. the water even got to the back of the speakers (on the magnets) as well...

while the driver's side was completely dry when i removed the panels, and the speakers were totally dry as well.

ive contacted bavsound and they said the speakers are designed to be "water proof" and i have nothing to worry about. however, i am quite worried about the long term issues that may occur eg. rusts inside the door / speakers etc etc.

Note: my G30 is only 1 month old when this happened... and its mostly parked inside my garage

Last edited by The Donald; 07-16-2018 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 04:37 AM   #74
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Donald View Post

Lower window seals to the door frame/panel are not waterproof. Not a new problem/issue to the G30. If I wind windows down on my F11 after washing the car, or in wet weather, can be water on the glass. Same on previous cars.

It's a key reason we need good integrity to the vapour barrier inside the doors.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 05:39 AM   #75
robert86
Rep
Drives: G30

Few things that I noticed on my G30, June 2018

Whipers
The whipers are... terrible. If I understand right they are made by AutoLiv.
Automatic mode is a complete mess, just doesn't start right when it supposed to. Sometimes starts without any rain, at dust
or especially at insects that gets stuck on the windshield. Moreover, it happened at heavily and constant rain that speed to be switched down to fist position (slow speed) for absolute no reason.

Compared to my 10 years old Honda, these are far worse.

Basically, on heavily rain, if you still want to drive reasonably (ie. not with 30Km/h) you have to put into manual position on maximum speed. Even so, amazing, that high speed is not enough to have a clear view on the road!

Finally, the blades got broken (driver side leave lines on windshield) after just 5000Km.

Audio
I have middle option, ie. "HiFi". What can I say... I should pay for Harman.
When I put fader to rear it sounds like a chinese crap. The bass is poor, treble also, you just don't feel like in a premium car (perhaps missing subwoofer)

LED headlights
The short phase is ok, light is pleasant and just as supposed to be.
The long phase has some strong white light that makes all public road signs to blind you, I suspect the wavelength or light composition make those signs too reflective. The adaptive feature (move with road curves) is quite poor, barely noticeable. When you drive in a strong curve and you are on some hill, the spot is not where is supposed to be.

Safety
All those nice features like pedestrian (animal) detection, lane change (the yellow sign in the mirror) are quite useless without warning beeps in speakers. That is, the beeps I can hear extremely rarely, almost in-existing. They should have been made at least the threshold of buzzing adjustable: ie. silent in town and active in extra urban.

Few days ago, I drove with about 60Km/h on such road (not highway) and suddenly, from dark (because short headlight phase was too close to car) appeared a horse with cart. Just a RED warning appeared on cluster only, no beeps, no automatic brakes, nothing. In the last second I used brakes myself probably due to my 18 yrs experience, otherwise, I don't know.

In contrast, three times by now, car just abnormally performed automatic brake:

- in a parking area with small stones while driving with 5 Km/h between other cars very close by
- on a country road, I was entering in a curve and some truck just finished to make LEFT in front of me. But entire truck was in garage already, but my car detected on rod, probably due to curve
- on a highway, also in a curve, wrongly detected car on my lane

Lane keeping is completely missing, why?

NV (Night Vision)
Is working decent (of course, when isn't raining). I mean there is a visible lag on video camera and works only on far objects.
The detected objects are yellowed but with a quite big lag, I presume they need more power processing here. Again, absolute no audible warnings except cluster and HUD but not all the time. Some colleagues told me that it gives warnings but very close by... what is the point to scare me before impact???

IAS (Integral Active Steering)
With risk to be complete idiot, I don't see the rear wheels moving at all, never.
But according to VIN, I have such IAS.

Also the car is extraordinarily stable in curves (XDrive, 19" wheels) at high speed.
I can say that now I can safely take curves with double speed that my old Honda Accord, perhaps, little over-steering noticed sometimes. But otherwise, solid like a rock, no drifts at all. Even on heavily rain I barely drifted once very subtle.

Adaptive Suspension
What can I say.. not much difference between modes (Sport, Comfort and especially ECO). Performs well and I feel this in high speed curves.. the car just compensates the forces which is great. Feel secure.

So as a conclusion so far, infotainment is somehow... poor for my standards and for that money. Also safety can be better but probably others are the same, in development stage.

Overall, I am satisfied and compensate infotainment with extra tablet with Waze, Online radio, Internet, etc.
      07-21-2018, 01:30 PM   #76
Mcarini
Registered
Rep
Drives: 520

Head unit issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksy View Post
I got in the car this morning on my way to work and main screen kept dying and rebooting about 9 times in total but all worked when rebooting, I thought I will stop get out and lock car leave it a couple of minutes and the try again, when I did nothing would connect, no radio, sat nat. Connected drive, phone not connect, no apply playband speech button on steering wheel not working, rang dealer and they said seen it before either update system or needs new head unit ££££££, glad it is still under warranty, I will let you know how I get on booked in next Wednesday.
I get this too. Started about four weeks ago. Been to the BMW dealer four times... latest is another reinstall of the cid/head software. They ‘think’ it is caused by real time traffic updates when they download to the car sim? I have no idea what this means but BMW told me to turn off rtti updates!? Also when it shuts down the indicator noise turns from the crisp tick took noise to sounding as though a really bad rasping noise? No idea if it’s connected but for a 12 month old car to have the same problem for 4 weeks and to be told the fix is to turn off rtti is really grating, even worse than the indicator noise.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 03:37 PM   #77
Boba
Rep
Drives: 520D

Couple of minor niggles so far.
- iDrive doesn't always restart on same screen as it was left in (normally Map).
- Radio sometimes switches off when I open the door, sometimes not until I lock the car.

Nice to have so little to worry about eh?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 04:05 PM   #78
Beemerguy530
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530D

Quote:
Originally Posted by telboy92 View Post
Picked my new 530d up on 29/06/18 trading in my F10 530d (fantastic car, never murmured). Love the car, could not have been happier until it slipped into limp home mode the next day! I reset it and 5 days passed with it being fine, then limp mode again. BMW recovered it, called me 2 days later to say the fault had been diagnosed as a crank shaft sensor, unfortunately there was not a fix available so my car now sits with the dealer awaiting BMW to either produce a patch or part! Will update ongoing.

Hi there
Could you provide a bit more detail of the symptoms of this issue with the crank shaft sensor?
I've picked up my new 530d SE on 22nd June 2018. Build date of end/early May. Car has been great compared to F10 530d however during the past week have had two occurrences where on the motorway with cruise control on the car stuttered for about 1-2 seconds. Possibly happening when about to go into coasting mode as part of Eco-pro mode or when engine kicks in again after coasting. Both occurrences the engine had slight vibration issues when accelerating from idle or when accelerating after coasting. Once engine is switched off and on again the issue disappears.
Plan to book in for checks but thought I check if anyone had similar experiences that I can refer to.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 08:53 AM   #79
XxLHCxX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530i

Garage List
I just took delivery of my 530i yesterday and the small glovebox right beside the driver appears to be broken. The handle/latch does not "close" as the spring mechanism appears to be broken. I have spoke to my SA and they will fix it. Just a bummer how something is already broken.

Right now it needs to be taped shut or else it would not close.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 09:26 AM   #80
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Pssst...you left the blue protective plastic on the dead pedal...and I also would invest in some tape to match the interior color if it will be that way for a while.
      07-24-2018, 09:38 AM   #81
XxLHCxX
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
Pssst...you left the blue protective plastic on the dead pedal...and I also would invest in some tape to match the interior color if it will be that way for a while.
LOLOL... nooooo... I was meaning to take that off. I took delivery of it late last night and had diner right after. Following that I just went home and this morning, I had to go to work. I was meaning to take the tape off yesterday night but then there were a lot of bugs flying about that I didn't want to keep the door open while I do it. I will peel it off later today after work for sure!!!

As to the broken glovebox, I will be bringing it in either tomorrow or the day after tomorrow to fix it. I am waiting on my SA to confirm which date it will be.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 10:53 AM   #82
telboy92
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerguy530 View Post
Hi there
Could you provide a bit more detail of the symptoms of this issue with the crank shaft sensor?
I've picked up my new 530d SE on 22nd June 2018. Build date of end/early May. Car has been great compared to F10 530d however during the past week have had two occurrences where on the motorway with cruise control on the car stuttered for about 1-2 seconds. Possibly happening when about to go into coasting mode as part of Eco-pro mode or when engine kicks in again after coasting. Both occurrences the engine had slight vibration issues when accelerating from idle or when accelerating after coasting. Once engine is switched off and on again the issue disappears.
Plan to book in for checks but thought I check if anyone had similar experiences that I can refer to.
Thanks
Hi Beemerguy, Yep thats it, stuttering as if its searching for fuel for a few seconds. Goes into safe mode so very limited power then switch off, restart and perfect until the next time.
I got my car back on friday (2 weeks) after having the sensor replaced, seems fine now.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 01:03 PM   #83
Mojizel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black 2014 535i Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Dropped mine off today, just about 6k miles on it for her first oil change. While in the shop having the following items addressed:

1) Back-up camera does not work on occasion (TSB)
2) Coolant reservoirs empty (occurred once; TSB)
3) Sunroof/liner clunks just as it begins to close (no TSB)
4) Active kidney slats no longer functional, always open (no TSB)
5) HVAC issues - heat from footwell, while center vents are cool (TSB, plus others for inconsistent airflow from center vents)
6) Voluntary recall for fuel tank sensor
Sorry for my ignorance but what does the TSB acronym mean?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 01:06 PM   #84
Mojizel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black 2014 535i Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
Centre vents might be cool if you've got them set to cool in the I drive.

Also what is TSB?
I was running the AC while it was hot out, so expect cool air everywhere, but the footwell was pushing out warm air

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin, which means the issue has been reported and is known by BMW, and they have fixes/corrective actions for the dealership to follow. The rear camera for example states there is a software compatibility issue between iDrive and the camera, that replacing parts will not help, that trying to reproduce it is near impossible, and the fix is to just update the software. Helps the dealer not waste time trying to come up with their own fix.
Never mind, you answered it in this post. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 04:24 PM   #85
Beemerguy530
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530D

Quote:
Originally Posted by telboy92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerguy530 View Post
Hi there
Thanks
Hi Beemerguy, Yep thats it, stuttering as if its searching for fuel for a few seconds. Goes into safe mode so very limited power then switch off, restart and perfect until the next time.
I got my car back on friday (2 weeks) after having the sensor replaced, seems fine now.
Hi telboy92,
Thanks for the confirmation. Touch wood not had the cut out yet just two occasions of the short stuttering. Booked in for Thursday for check. Wondering if I should mention sensor so they have the part ready otherwise be without a car for a day or two.
Sounds like our cars were built around the same time and week. So could be a faulty batch of sensors.
Thanks again for the information.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 11:54 AM   #86
telboy92
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba View Post
Couple of minor niggles so far.
- iDrive doesn't always restart on same screen as it was left in (normally Map).
- Radio sometimes switches off when I open the door, sometimes not until I lock the car.

Nice to have so little to worry about eh?
Yep, Mine too, I leave small screen on weather and when I come back to car its on compass, radio switches off most of the time but not always.
2018 530s msport
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 01:37 PM   #87
Richukbmw5
England
Rep
Drives: BMW g30

Sadly only had my car 1 week and already someone has dented my rear bumper, had to replace a front tyre because of a nail and the dealer called me for a recall to replace the cam shaft sensor. Not a great 1st week! BMW 530e m sport.

It's a 2 day job at the dealership for the cam shaft sensor.
      07-27-2018, 02:33 PM   #88
XxLHCxX
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richukbmw5 View Post
Sadly only had my car 1 week and already someone has dented my rear bumper, had to replace a front tyre because of a nail and the dealer called me for a recall to replace the cam shaft sensor. Not a great 1st week! BMW 530e m sport.

It's a 2 day job at the dealership for the cam shaft sensor.
Wow... I would be so bummed.
Appreciate 0