BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Bmw weather without connected drive

04-25-2018, 04:15 AM   #1
rahulred5
India
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530D M Sport

Bmw weather without connected drive

Hello

For those in markets where connected drive subscriptions are not offered, is there anyway to get Weather info ?

I remember in 2015 on the F30 3 series you could get bmw weather as an app which was updated through a connected cell phone’s data plan

But in my new G30 I have been unable to find the weather app even after downloading the connected app.

Surely there must be a way for cars without connected drive to access weather data through a paired iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 04:40 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Could be wrong but assumed that all the apps on idrive such as new weather rainful radar etc rely on the 4g data car in the car having a subscription. In the U.K. that's free for the first 3 years after which you have to pay yearly if you want it. (That also included a RTTI)

Can't think of way round that.
Given the g30 is new you should have that. Where is the car , is it in a country that does not have connected drive?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 04:59 AM   #3
rahulred5
India
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Could be wrong but assumed that all the apps on idrive such as new weather rainful radar etc rely on the 4g data car in the car having a subscription. In the U.K. that's free for the first 3 years after which you have to pay yearly if you want it. (That also included a RTTI)

Can't think of way round that.
Given the g30 is new you should have that. Where is the car , is it in a country that does not have connected drive?
Unfortunately yes I am in a country where connected drive is not yet offered (they say 2019)

And even though the G30 is new, I haven’t found any way to get weather info.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 05:10 AM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

well hopefully it can retrofitted but don't raise your hopes!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 07:04 AM   #5
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Weather app is built in via the connected drive. Essentially as AP said, it's sitting on a server and the car acts as a screen. Therefore, you'll need the subscription and active data connection in the car to display information. This is why certain functions disappear from cars whenever Connected Drive Services are down.
Appreciate 0