BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Driving Assist Plus, Hands Free for over 9 mins

09-04-2018, 10:44 AM   #23
bpbaud
Private
Rep
Drives: 530i

There is no doubt that the hands-free tolerance in the US is different from the UK for example. Here's a video from BMW USA that explains how it works in the US.

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 01:00 PM   #24
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

The description seems to match what happens in the UK, it doesn't mention how long it takes with your hands off to displaying the yellow steering wheel symbol.

I used mine on Saturday and the times were certainly longer when TJA is in operation. Not got to 9 minutes yet myself but certainly much more than 3 seconds.

As I mentioned in another thread I started, since having my firmware updated on the car, the Yellow steering wheel symbol is now larger.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 01:59 PM   #25
bpbaud
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
The description seems to match what happens in the UK, it doesn't mention how long it takes with your hands off to displaying the yellow steering wheel symbol.
No more than 30 seconds before the yellow steering wheel symbol appears. Then another 20 or 30 seconds before the red steering wheel symbol appears. In my experience, those times do not change under any driving circumstances: Highway speeds, stop and go traffic, Motorway, Etc. So if people in the UK are able to keep their hands off the wheel for minutes at a time, this is definitely different from the US.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 11:23 AM   #26
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbaud View Post
Quote:
No more than 30 seconds before the yellow steering wheel symbol appears. Then another 20 or 30 seconds before the red steering wheel symbol appears. In my experience, those times do not change under any driving circumstances: Highway speeds, stop and go traffic, Motorway, Etc. So if people in the UK are able to keep their hands off the wheel for minutes at a time, this is definitely different from the US.
I assumed for 9 months of having the car that max time limit is about 2 mins. I think it's impossible to know all the parameters that the program is written for.

Have you been in a situation where you are driving under 20mph traffic with driving assistance plus on? Those were my conditions on which it worked for over 9 mins until traffic cleared up.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 11:59 AM   #27
bpbaud
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Have you been in a situation where you are driving under 20mph traffic with driving assistance plus on? Those were my conditions on which it worked for over 9 mins until traffic cleared up.
Yes, often. It never works for longer than 30 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 05:07 PM   #28
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
At low speeds it needs to slow to below 5mph or stop temporarily. Even at 10mph it goes yellow etc.

I've never had it go more than 30 seconds at higher speeds.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #29
chris_sd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 530e

Quote:
In the US, traffic jam assist disengages if you remove your hands for more than about 30 seconds, regardless of the speed you're traveling. Disappointing.
That is not correct. I had it go for about 4 minutes before having to touch the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 07:25 PM   #30
bpbaud
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_sd View Post
That is not correct. I had it go for about 4 minutes before having to touch the steering wheel.
It's correct for my car.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 04:39 AM   #31
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

In stop and go traffic with the speed set to less than 40 MPH I can go hands free for minutes at a time. This was brilliant yesterday whilst stuck in Orlando traffic. I believe the trick is to lower the set speed, though. If the cruise is set above 40 MPH then the steering seems to require more intervention even as it holds a lower speed in traffic. Or that could all be in my head. . .
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 05:08 AM   #32
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchJR View Post
In stop and go traffic with the speed set to less than 40 MPH I can go hands free for minutes at a time. This was brilliant yesterday whilst stuck in Orlando traffic. I believe the trick is to lower the set speed, though. If the cruise is set above 40 MPH then the steering seems to require more intervention even as it holds a lower speed in traffic. Or that could all be in my head. . .
You might be onto something. There must be so many parameters like that to make sure the system works safely. I can't now remember what the speed I had set when it was running for that long.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 02:27 PM   #33
bpbaud
Private
Rep

In an earlier post I said that my car would never allow hands-off driving for more than about 30 seconds. I was wrong. I spent two hours in stop-and-go traffic today on a variety of roads, and it actually does provide traffic jam assistance for minutes at a time without requiring my hands to remain on the wheel.

With active cruise control and lane keep assist activated, as long as my speed remains below 25 miles per hour, it will follow the car in front of me. If the car in front stops for more than about 3 seconds, I have to press the resume button or tap the accelerator pedal, but otherwise it's hands and feet off.

It is not dependent on the speed setting of active cruise control control, and it works on all the roads I tried it on, not just the interstate (motorway).
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 04:27 PM   #34
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
In an earlier post I said that my car would never allow hands-off driving for more than about 30 seconds. I was wrong. I spent two hours in stop-and-go traffic today on a variety of roads, and it actually does provide traffic jam assistance for minutes at a time without requiring my hands to remain on the wheel.

With active cruise control and lane keep assist activated, as long as my speed remains below 25 miles per hour, it will follow the car in front of me. If the car in front stops for more than about 3 seconds, I have to press the resume button or tap the accelerator pedal, but otherwise it's hands and feet off.

It is not dependent on the speed setting of active cruise control control, and it works on all the roads I tried it on, not just the interstate (motorway).
Again, under certain conditions, car can come to a complete stop for more than 3 seconds and not require any intervention from the driver. In fact, BMW announced at G30 launch that they've extended the 3sec to 30seconds.

As I've said before, it's impossible to know all the different variables that the car takes into account and corresponding responses.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 12:55 AM   #35
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Again, under certain conditions, car can come to a complete stop for more than 3 seconds and not require any intervention from the driver. In fact, BMW announced at G30 launch that they've extended the 3sec to 30seconds.

As I've said before, it's not possible to know all the different variables that the car takes into account and corresponding responses.
Yes in the uk the 3 seconds turns into 30 on a dual carriageway where pedestrians cannot be present.
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50
      09-21-2018, 02:29 PM   #36
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

For the hand-on-steering-wheel - do you have to place them at 9 and 3, or can you just kind of rest one hand near the bottom?

I often drive, either during highway cruising or in traffic, by just resting one hand (or even a couple fingers) on the bottom of the steering wheel. Wouldn't really mind having to keep hold of the wheel if I can do it in this fashion.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 05:54 PM   #37
bpbaud
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
by just resting one hand (or even a couple fingers) on the bottom of the steering wheel.
Yep that works.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 06:08 PM   #38
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:
Yep that works.
Awesome. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 06:16 PM   #39
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
For the hand-on-steering-wheel - do you have to place them at 9 and 3, or can you just kind of rest one hand near the bottom?

I often drive, either during highway cruising or in traffic, by just resting one hand (or even a couple fingers) on the bottom of the steering wheel. Wouldn't really mind having to keep hold of the wheel if I can do it in this fashion.
All you need is literally a finger on the steering wheel. I kinda raise my leg sometimes to touch the steering wheel and that does the job. Of course you need to standby to take over in case car gives up.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 07:10 PM   #40
Jayphotoworks
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 Xdrive

Quote:
All you need is literally a finger on the steering wheel. I kinda raise my leg sometimes to touch the steering wheel and that does the job. Of course you need to standby to take over in case car gives up.
I find the car likes to give up from time to time with no apparent change in the lane markings. Sometimes it happens after a bump on the freeway. It also tends to bounce around the lane and brake at the last minute like someone on social media behind the wheel and looking up and realizing traffic has stopped.

I still use it, but it really isn't as autonomous as marketed.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 01:40 AM   #41
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayphotoworks View Post
Quote:
I find the car likes to give up from time to time with no apparent change in the lane markings. Sometimes it happens after a bump on the freeway. It also tends to bounce around the lane and brake at the last minute like someone on social media behind the wheel and looking up and realizing traffic has stopped.

I still use it, but it really isn't as autonomous as marketed.
Agree that sometimes it gives up for no apparent reason. To be fair to BMW, they market it as an assistance system than an autonomous driving system.

I don't have a problem of bouncing between lines. In my experience that happens when the lane keeping assistant kicks in as a safety feature without the whole driving assistant plus running. And braking is also gradual for me. Worth getting your software updated if you are having issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 03:43 AM   #42
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

FYI I had my software updated recently (from July 2017 build to s15a 18 07 540) and have not detected any noticeable difference in the lane assist. The difference was in respect of the kombI module where by the yellow steering symbol that pop up on the instrument cluster and in the HUD is now larger.
(Previously the same size as the green wheel but now about twice the size)
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 03:48 AM   #43
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
FYI I had my software updated recently (from July 2017 build to s15a 18 07 540) and have not detected any noticeable difference in the lane assist. The difference was in respect of the kombI module where by the yellow steering symbol that pop up on the instrument cluster and in the HUD is now larger.
(Previously the same size as the green wheel but now about twice the size)
I had mine updated this week too. Changes are subtle at best.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 05:29 AM   #44
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
FYI I had my software updated recently (from July 2017 build to s15a 18 07 540
Do you think 540 refers to the model of car? Mine is apparently S15A-17-11-520. Just wondering why 520 instead of 530.
Appreciate 0