BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 5 Series as main family car?

09-14-2018, 04:53 PM   #89
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
Defo get the lights. After HUD that's a game changer for 6 months of the year when we're pretty much in darkness...
Actually I think you’re right, I should get the Icon lights, they complete the look of the car and from looking at TRL’s Babybmw page the adaptive lights on the M140i add £260 to the GFV, and they only cost £500 so on the 5 series they should add even more to the GFV!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 03:17 AM   #90
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibk11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Sorry that's not accurate. I got my car without chrome last November. It was ordered in August and I didn't specify no chrome.

However, I could have taken chrome if I wanted to for no extra cost. It is an option you can select as "Chrome Line Exterior'. And it's still available if anyone wants it including current models.

Ah fair enough, sorry I got that wrong.
I don't have a problem with the chrome line look, but the door handles always looked odd to me, especially on the M5.
I am the same. Never had chrome in any of my cars. But I guess it's there cos some people like it.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 04:47 AM   #91
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I just went into the dealership and the ones in there have the chrome on the handles, strange that they don't on the configurator!
I think the chrome was standard on all models in here UK until the recent change to MY2019 which removed it. Even the M5 has the chrome, weirdly.
Sorry that's not accurate. I got my car without chrome last November. It was ordered in August and I didn't specify no chrome.

However, I could have taken chrome if I wanted to for no extra cost. It is an option you can select as "Chrome Line Exterior'. And it's still available if anyone wants it including current models.
Just noticed on the configurator even if you add the chrome line pack there's still no chrome on the door handles.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 07:03 AM   #92
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I just went into the dealership and the ones in there have the chrome on the handles, strange that they don't on the configurator!
I think the chrome was standard on all models in here UK until the recent change to MY2019 which removed it. Even the M5 has the chrome, weirdly.

Just noticed on the configurator even if you add the chrome line pack there's still no chrome on the door handles.
Ah. So it only applies to windows, side vents and bumper trims?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 07:06 AM   #93
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Appears so! Guess they have ditched the chrome door handle trims.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 11:40 AM   #94
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Appears so! Guess they have ditched the chrome door handle trims.
Does anyone actually have a pic of a real g30 m sport without the chrome door handle trim?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #95
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
So do I take it you've decided on the 5 over the X3?

Think it will be the 5 for us. Only benefit of the X3 seems to be a slightly louder exhaust, which I'm sure will get tedious after a while (he says, showing his age)

No not sure about comfort seats, which weren't an option until I started looking at some of these threads
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 04:50 PM   #96
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post
So do I take it you've decided on the 5 over the X3?

Think it will be the 5 for us. Only benefit of the X3 seems to be a slightly louder exhaust, which I'm sure will get tedious after a while (he says, showing his age)

No not sure about comfort seats, which weren't an option until I started looking at some of these threads
You definitely want to try sitting on the comfort seats before ordering them, if you like a sport seat or recaro type seat they probably won’t be for you! Luckily Cooper Norwich have a 7 series with them, which I tried this week and no matter how I adjusted them they just didn’t feel right. 5 series sports seats felt great after a few seconds of adjustments.

Don’t know which car I’ll decide on yet, both have so much to offer!

Last edited by teaston; 09-15-2018 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 04:58 PM   #97
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
Does anyone actually have a pic of a real g30 m sport without the chrome door handle trim?
Yes the brand new ones on autotrader:

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 03:02 PM   #98
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Never noticed this until we started talking about it in this thread. I don't have any other chrome trims in the car :
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 03:29 PM   #99
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Never noticed this until we started talking about it in this thread. I don't have any other chrome trims in the car :
I like the chrome strip on the door handles.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 04:21 PM   #100
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

I this cost cutting or what?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 04:29 AM   #101
andrewX3M40d
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You definitely want to try sitting on the comfort seats before ordering them, if you like a sport seat or recaro type seat they probably won’t be for you! Luckily Cooper Norwich have a 7 series with them, which I tried this week and no matter how I adjusted them they just didn’t feel right. 5 series sports seats felt great after a few seconds of adjustments.

Don’t know which car I’ll decide on yet, both have so much to offer!
Tried both seat types back to back on Sunday and I agree the sports felt much more comfortable. The sports seats feel like they hug you more.

Also drove the 530d xdrive and 540i xdrive at the weekend. Still can't decide which I prefer. Both brilliant engines.
Appreciate 1
teaston10993.50
      09-17-2018, 05:44 AM   #102
Bryans69
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew2101 View Post
Tried both seat types back to back on Sunday and I agree the sports felt much more comfortable. The sports seats feel like they hug you more.
Good, that saves me a bit more money.

Planning to test drive in a couple of weeks. Spoke to the dealer today and explained I'd be sending across a list of requirements I need to try before ordering, and sports / comfort seats is on the list.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 07:30 AM   #103
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Also drove the 530d xdrive and 540i xdrive at the weekend. Still can't decide which I prefer. Both brilliant engines.
Agree that both are excellent engines. I do a lot of miles, so ended up going with 530d. It makes a big difference given my annual mileage.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 08:24 AM   #104
andrewX3M40d
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Agree that both are excellent engines. I do a lot of miles, so ended up going with 530d. It makes a big difference given my annual mileage.
I do about 12-13K so not huge. Hence the difficult choice. My heart says petrol my head diesel.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 09:05 AM   #105
Bryans69
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I do about 12-13K so not huge. Hence the difficult choice. My heart says petrol my head diesel.
We are less than 10k, a lot small journeys with longer ones once or twice a month, so petrol for me (even though a couple of reviews suggest the diesel is the better choice as car to refined to get the full benefit of the petrol)
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 09:19 AM   #106
andrewX3M40d
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
We are less than 10k, a lot small journeys with longer ones once or twice a month, so petrol for me (even though a couple of reviews suggest the diesel is the better choice as car to refined to get the full benefit of the petrol)

Petrol makes sense not sure you would see the benefit of diesel. Most of my commute is sitting on a dual carriageway.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 09:21 AM   #107
andrewX3M40d
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Bloody hell that looks good.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 10:09 AM   #108
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Bloody hell that looks good.
Doesn't it! I'm definitely going for Med blue, but not the 20's though as the tyres are too expensive!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 10:15 AM   #109
Bryans69
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Doesn't it! I'm definitely going for Med blue, but not the 20's though as the tyres are too expensive!
Can't decide on this or Blue Stone. Dealer had an estate in that an looks much better in the flesh than pictures. Can't help think the Mediterranean blue looks a bit dull, although again the could be photos. Does help that the blue on the 3 and X3 is nicer in my opinion
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 10:17 AM   #110
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Can't decide on this or Blue Stone. Dealer had an estate in that an looks much better in the flesh than pictures. Can't help think the Mediterranean blue looks a bit dull, although again the could be photos. Does help that the blue on the 3 and X3 is nicer in my opinion
Phytonic blue is very nice, but Estoril is common as muck now!
Appreciate 0