BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions New to BMW

04-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #45
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
You really make no sense. You make the false claim that the B46 is underpowered in the 530i yet you would go with a 530e that weighs 400+ more than the 530i, doesn't handle as well and suffer from a smaller trunk and reduced capacity fuel economy.

Haters are gonna hate, facts be damned...
I think what he is saying is that if choosing between a 530i and a 530e he would opt for the e. So would I.

Yes...I have a lot more weight in my e than there is in an i. However, the additional weight is down low and there is a substantial boost in torque. In local driving I often drive in max electric mode. I still am the first away from a stop light without even trying and can more than keep up with other traffic in local driving (and local in greater Phoenix means speed limits most often of 40 or 45 mph). Of course, if I need more I simply press the accelerator past the kick point and I immediately have both engines. On the highway I drive in auto mode.

I have been able to pass without any difficulty on roads where the traffic is moving at 65 mph. In addition, I have been getting around 900 miles to a gas tank (only 12.4 gallons in my e; I do have a 240 charger in my garage).

So, given the fact that the i and the e are priced the same, the e becomes an attractive alternative.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 02:39 PM   #46
nlaak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I think what he is saying is that if choosing between a 530i and a 530e he would opt for the e. So would I.

Yes...I have a lot more weight in my e than there is in an i. However, the additional weight is down low and there is a substantial boost in torque.
BMW is saying, objectively, that the 530e and 530i RWD are the same 0-60, so any boost in torque you think you feel is offset by the extra weight. Third party reviews actually say (from what I'm seeing) that the 530e is slower. Maybe (though I'd doubt it) the 530e could be faster in some speed ranges, but it would probably have to be at the very low end, where the electric torque could be noticed, before the higher output ICE engine in the 530i got the turbos full spun up, but I'd really doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 02:54 PM   #47
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlaak View Post
BMW is saying, objectively, that the 530e and 530i RWD are the same 0-60, so any boost in torque you think you feel is offset by the extra weight. Third party reviews actually say (from what I'm seeing) that the 530e is slower. Maybe (though I'd doubt it) the 530e could be faster in some speed ranges, but it would probably have to be at the very low end, where the electric torque could be noticed, before the higher output ICE engine in the 530i got the turbos full spun up, but I'd really doubt it.
Of course you are right. I said the same thing. Less effective HP, more torque. But I have been able to pass cars going 65 mph without an issue. I expect that at higher speeds, the i will accelerate faster.

But not enough faster to make up for the advantages of the e given the same price.

Also, an advantage of the e, a big one for me, is that I can use the phone app to turn on my AC (it runs off the hybrid batteries). With summer temperatures reaching 110 (or even higher), when coming off a golf course where the car has been parked in the sun for hours, I use the phone app as I leave the 17th green to turn on the AC. The car is nice and cool when I get there. You can't do that with an i.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 03:00 PM   #48
nlaak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Of course you are right. I said the same thing. Less effective HP, more torque. But I have been able to pass cars going 65 mph without an issue. I expect that at higher speeds, the i will accelerate faster.

But not enough faster to make up for the advantages of the e given the same price.

Also, an advantage of the e, a big one for me, is that I can use the phone app to turn on my AC (it runs off the hybrid batteries). With summer temperatures reaching 110 (or even higher), when coming off a golf course where the car has been parked in the sun for hours, I use the phone app as I leave the 17th green to turn on the AC. The car is nice and cool when I get there. You can't do that with an i.
I take no objection with the 530e having extra benefits, just that there's any positive benefit in performance (not economy) with the electric.

Things like being first away from a stoplight has a lot less to do with vehicle performance than most people just being slow to leave lights and slow to accelerate. I mean, regardless, the performance numbers of the 530e/i are middle ground in it's class. It's not slow, but it's not all that fast either.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 05:48 AM   #49
magstegram
Registered
Rep
Drives: G30 530i M Sport, DJ Mazda 2

We ended up choosing the 530i over the 530e for few reasons:

1. We don't live in an "eco-friendly" country, so it can be difficult to find a charging station. On top of that, there are no real benefits to owning a hybrid/electric car here. No tax incentives of sorts.

2. The trouble of charging every night just to get peak performance.

3. The 530e is 200kg heavier than the 530i. That's a lot in spirited driving lingo.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 12:59 PM   #50
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstegram View Post
We ended up choosing the 530i over the 530e for few reasons:

1. We don't live in an "eco-friendly" country, so it can be difficult to find a charging station. On top of that, there are no real benefits to owning a hybrid/electric car here. No tax incentives of sorts.

2. The trouble of charging every night just to get peak performance.

3. The 530e is 200kg heavier than the 530i. That's a lot in spirited driving lingo.
I agree with your points. The 530e looks good on paper but to me this car (and this is true of every other hybrid as well), combines the worst of both worlds. The electric range is minimal, yet you are adding complexity and sheer weight to the package. Perhaps the 530e is aimed at a certain clientele but I just can't feel it.

To me you either go fill ICE or full EV, but the neither this, nor quite there middle ground is what makes plug in hybrids questionable vehicles for long term ownership. What a pain in the ass having to plug yet one more
Gizmo in your life!

Don't like the reduced fuel tank capacity in the e, the added weight of the batteries, the complexity of an electric motor nestled between the engine and transmission and the reduced trunk capacity. But hey that's me.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 01:13 PM   #51
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I would think the other way around, until we can go full electric (infrastructure as well), hybrid give you what you need electric most of the time (short commute) without the range anxiety
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 01:23 PM   #52
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
I would think the other way around, until we can go full electric (infrastructure as well), hybrid give you what you need electric most of the time (short commute) without the range anxiety
That may be it but I still don't see the advantage of saving one full tank a month. Perhaps I am looking at it from a different perspective.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 02:35 AM   #53
krispykreme
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings700 View Post
Would you rather have a 530i or 540I for 2020 model year. Does the 6 cyl make that much difference over the 4?
Having owned tons of inline 6 and V8 from BMW. Only had 3 inline 4( 328i, two 530e). I can say the 4 isn’t as smooth and the sound in the top rev band is awful.

But power delivery and fuel consumption is much better. However I prefer inline 6 and V8 over inline 4.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 02:42 AM   #54
krispykreme
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I agree with your points. The 530e looks good on paper but to me this car (and this is true of every other hybrid as well), combines the worst of both worlds. The electric range is minimal, yet you are adding complexity and sheer weight to the package. Perhaps the 530e is aimed at a certain clientele but I just can't feel it.

To me you either go fill ICE or full EV, but the neither this, nor quite there middle ground is what makes plug in hybrids questionable vehicles for long term ownership. What a pain in the ass having to plug yet one more
Gizmo in your life!

Don't like the reduced fuel tank capacity in the e, the added weight of the batteries, the complexity of an electric motor nestled between the engine and transmission and the reduced trunk capacity. But hey that's me.
I disagree.

1. HOV access alone is worth it. It’s not much faster than normal lane. But it cuts toll in half in CA.
2. Plug in I think it’s best of both world now. I rarely need to use gas for work commute. Even with smaller tank, I can fill up and be on my way in 5 min instead of 30 minutes at super charger. I know new system is coming cutting doe to about 15 min. But there is always a line waiting for super charge.

I debated hard to get a model 3 instead of another 530e as commuter. At the end I still went ahead with my own 530e. Both my wife and I are happy with the 530e as daily driver. It’s not as fun as my M5. But I enjoyed the interior a lot more than a model 3. 530e is heavy with light steering and not as fun to drive. But hard to beat it’s comfort and HOV access. I got my today at $13k of MSRP. To me it’s a great deal.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 02:57 AM   #55
krispykreme
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That may be it but I still don't see the advantage of saving one full tank a month. Perhaps I am looking at it from a different perspective.
With my commute, I only need about 12 miles a day on the gas. Which is about 0.4 gallon per day. Which means I can go 2 full month commuting without getting gas. My commute is 47 miles a day- 35 miles is pure electric, your 530i needs about 1.2 gallon- 22 working day a month- your Bill is about $110. My is about 46 a month

But the kicker is that CA toll is half. So I save $3 a day. About $70 a month. There is also 4600 tax credit. I don’t qualify for the CA $2500.

So for 4 years- I am looking 70*48+ $*48 + 4667 tax credit= $11399
For family that qualifies for CA rebate- you are looking at $13899 for 4 years.

In my case- I got the 2nd 530e at 51k including tax. My saving is 22% of purchasing price. It’s really a great deal.

Ps- I charge free at work. And my rate is about .25 per KWh at home- so it’s about $2 per day at

Last edited by krispykreme; 04-24-2019 at 03:07 AM..
Appreciate 0