BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions M550i Check Engine Light

04-29-2019, 02:24 PM   #1
cartaozinho
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 (G30) M550i

M550i Check Engine Light

My 2018 M550i's Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) turned orange the other day. Plugged in the sensor and it spat out code P05AF.

Looked up P05AF at http://bmwfault.codes/ and it gave "Lower radiator shutter: Blocked" for various engine codes (there wasn't one for the N63 in the M550 but I can't see why it would be different as it's not a code related to the engine).

Cleared the code and the MIL hasn't come back on. Yet. That said, visual inspection reveals that the lower shutters are stuck in the open position. Upper shutters (behind the kidney grilles) are still operating properly.

Was just wondering if anybody else has experienced this issue?

My plan: Given the minor impact the lower shutters have on performance I'll have them replaced under warranty the next time I take it in for service. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 04:44 PM   #2
RLSinCO
Maximum Effort
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW M550i

Why on earth wouldn't you just schedule an apt with your BMW service department instead of clearing out a code yourself?
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      04-29-2019, 05:55 PM   #3
cartaozinho
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 (G30) M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLSinCO View Post
Why on earth wouldn't you just schedule an apt with your BMW service department instead of clearing out a code yourself?
That's a fair question. Basically, two reasons:

(1) I'm about 1500 miles away from an oil change. So I'll be going to the dealership soon. This way I don't have to make two trips.

(2) If the MIL is on and the car throws another code I wouldn't know (unless I plug in the sensor, I suppose).

I don't know about BMW's software. But I'd bet the MIL turns back on in a few weeks throwing the same code. At which point it will be about time to take it to the dealership for the regular maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 08:57 PM   #4
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartaozinho View Post
That's a fair question. Basically, two reasons:

(1) I'm about 1500 miles away from an oil change. So I'll be going to the dealership soon. This way I don't have to make two trips.

(2) If the MIL is on and the car throws another code I wouldn't know (unless I plug in the sensor, I suppose).

I don't know about BMW's software. But I'd bet the MIL turns back on in a few weeks throwing the same code. At which point it will be about time to take it to the dealership for the regular maintenance.
If your dealer doesn't suck, they'd just do the oil change anyway and not make you wait. They should also tell you if there are other codes.

I had the same issue with the active shutters and was 2k from an oil change. They changed the oil while I was there to save me the trip.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50