BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions M550 and 540 comparison

07-27-2019, 12:05 PM   #1
cartaozinho
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 (G30) M550i

M550 and 540 comparison

Took my M550 in for service a few weeks ago. The dealership gave me a 540i as a loaner while they waited on parts (lower shutters; headrest motor). It was a pretty low-spec 540 (sport line, sDrive). Just wanted to share a few observations.

1) The 540 is really nice car to drive around town. I almost forgot how "normal" a RWD car feels to drive. Pretty nice. Also, the lighter weight, softer suspension, higher ride height, and 18" wheels made for a really relaxing, plush ride.

2) The 540 is an okay car to drive on the freeway. I think those same things that make the 540 nice to drive around town work against it on the freeway. At speeds north of 70 mph, the car felt a little "floaty." In contrast, the M550 feels firmly planted at freeway speeds. It's like the M550 yawns and rolls over at 70...wake me up when we hit triple digits on the speedo.

3) My M550 has a head up display (HUD). Moving forward, I will always have a HUD in any car I purchase. The only analogy I can think of is a smartphone -- imagine going back to a Nokia 3210 after using an iPhone. Forget it.

4) The parking assistance package is, for me, another "must have." That overhead 3D view is just great. The loaner 540 only had the "sonar readout." It works, it's just not quite the same.

5) The M550's exhaust note is noticeably louder in the cabin than the 540. I never really appreciated how much I like the thrum and roar of that V8 until it was gone...

6) Compared to Comfort, I'm not sure what Sport+ mode was doing in the 540 (other than changing the shift points for the transmission). In contrast, the M550 is an entirely different (wild, almost violent) animal in Sport+ mode when compared to comfort. Night and day.

7) Fuel economy. Just kidding...

Overall, the 540 is really nice car. Obviously, a more "fully spec'd" version would have made a better point of comparison with my M550. But, if I was a dealership, I wouldn't loan out fully spec'd rides either.
Appreciate 1
Niko ZV118.00
      07-27-2019, 04:20 PM   #2
jjscsix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540, 2016 GX460

I have a 540 but admit I would have loved a 550 (my last BMW was a 400hp 550). I simply didn't want to spend the money as I was fast approaching retirement (am there now).

My only real comment to your write-up is that my car does feel a whole lot different in Sport +. It is down right giddy what it does for the "right now" kick down and throttle response. My car does not have dynamic dampers, so Sport + has no effect on handling for me.

As to your last point that you joked about. My 25 mile commute from the suburbs where I live into Houston central is pretty easy. Many times I have averaged a real 33-34 mpg, and that is running about 75 mph on the freeway, and it does include five miles of surface streets where I have about ten traffic lights to contend with. But the lights are generally pretty well timed. That is pretty impressive for a sedan that still does 0-60 in the 4s.

I am now lusting after the 2020 523 hp 550 though!
      07-27-2019, 08:20 PM   #3
cartaozinho
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
I have a 540 but admit I would have loved a 550 (my last BMW was a 400hp 550). I simply didn't want to spend the money as I was fast approaching retirement (am there now).

My only real comment to your write-up is that my car does feel a whole lot different in Sport +. It is down right giddy what it does for the "right now" kick down and throttle response. My car does not have dynamic dampers, so Sport + has no effect on handling for me.

As to your last point that you joked about. My 25 mile commute from the suburbs where I live into Houston central is pretty easy. Many times I have averaged a real 33-34 mpg, and that is running about 75 mph on the freeway, and it does include five miles of surface streets where I have about ten traffic lights to contend with. But the lights are generally pretty well timed. That is pretty impressive for a sedan that still does 0-60 in the 4s.

I am now lusting after the 2020 523 hp 550 though!
I too lust after those new 550's...they're 0.3-0.4 quicker to 60 mph. That is just bonkers for a "refresh." In short order the M5 is going to be a sub 3-second car.

We used my 550 for the family vacation this summer. Lots of driving. I managed 29.4 mpg on the way home. But that's is nowhere near typical. I usually get high-teens/low-20's while commuting. Although my commute is about 70%/30% surface/freeway. And I'm envious that your commute traffic moves at 75 mph. Here in California it's...slower. Much. Slower.

Happy to hear you made it to retirement safely. I aspire!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 08:43 PM   #4
jjscsix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartaozinho View Post
I too lust after those new 550's...they're 0.3-0.4 quicker to 60 mph. That is just bonkers for a "refresh." In short order the M5 is going to be a sub 3-second car.

We used my 550 for the family vacation this summer. Lots of driving. I managed 29.4 mpg on the way home. But that's is nowhere near typical. I usually get high-teens/low-20's while commuting. Although my commute is about 70%/30% surface/freeway. And I'm envious that your commute traffic moves at 75 mph. Here in California it's...slower. Much. Slower.

Happy to hear you made it to retirement safely. I aspire!
We can assume the 2020 550 will be as fast as the 850. I'm something of a walking encyclopedia of car specs and performance. I bought my first car magazine in 1965 and still have that magazine and every other since. The numbers on the 850 are amazing for what is essentially a mid level car compared to the M5. The 1/4 mile on the 850 is 11.5 @ 123....7.6 to 100. Those numbers are almost as fast as the last Corvette I had - a 505 hp Z06. It could be said it's because of the AWD, but the trap speed and the 0-100 don't rely that much on the launch.

The M5 is also amazing as you say. A close friend of mine is probably going to buy the M8 Gran Coupe as soon as it's available. I can't wait to drive it!

Retirement is a wonderful thing. I love it. The pay sucks but the hours are great.
      07-27-2019, 10:00 PM   #5
cartaozinho
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The numbers on the 850 are amazing for what is essentially a mid level car compared to the M5. The 1/4 mile on the 850 is 11.5 @ 123....7.6 to 100. Those numbers are almost as fast as the last Corvette I had - a 505 hp Z06. It could be said it's because of the AWD, but the trap speed and the 0-100 don't rely that much on the launch.

The M5 is also amazing as you say. A close friend of mine is probably going to buy the M8 Gran Coupe as soon as it's available. I can't wait to drive it!

Retirement is a wonderful thing. I love it. The pay sucks but the hours are great.
Funny you mention the 850. I had a poster of the 850 CSi on my wall as a kid. That and the Supra Turbo were what my car dreams were made of. I was so excited that BMW was reintroducing it. Well, I got a chance to sit in one at the dealership. That dream is dead -- At 6-5, 250 I just don't fit. Or, as I remarked to the sales associate, "When will Bavaria make a coupe for the husky man!?!" I also find it funny that the new Supra is essentially a BMW...

Quote:
I'm something of a walking encyclopedia of car specs and performance. I bought my first car magazine in 1965 and still have that magazine and every other since.
Ok. So what was the zero to 100 time for the 1973 AMC Javelin?

Quote:
It could be said it's because of the AWD, but the trap speed and the 0-100 don't rely that much on the launch.
The first time I used launch control in my 550 I scared myself...the best way I could describe it was like shooting a 12-gauge. I can't imagine what a sub-3 second car feels like. Let alone something like a funny car.

Quote:
Is it like what my mentor in grad school told me during my first month -- the University is going to set your pay. It's entirely up to you to determine the hourly wage.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #6
jjscsix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Funny you mention the 850. I had a poster of the 850 CSi on my wall as a kid. That and the Supra Turbo were what my car dreams were made of. I was so excited that BMW was reintroducing it. Well, I got a chance to sit in one at the dealership. That dream is dead -- At 6-5, 250 I just don't fit. Or, as I remarked to the sales associate, "When will Bavaria make a coupe for the husky man!?!" I also find it funny that the new Supra is essentially a BMW...

Ok. So what was the zero to 100 time for the 1973 AMC Javelin?

The first time I used launch control in my 550 I scared myself...the best way I could describe it was like shooting a 12-gauge. I can't imagine what a sub-3 second car feels like. Let alone something like a funny car.

Is it like what my mentor in grad school told me during my first month -- the University is going to set your pay. It's entirely up to you to determine the hourly wage.
1973 was the very beginning of the dark ages for performance cars. My first car was a new, but leftover 1973 Mazda RX2 that I actually bought in 1974. I did own a 1973 RD350 Yamaha that I bought new.

Javelin 0-100....got to admit I had to look it up.
      07-28-2019, 05:27 PM   #7
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Nice comparison, thanks for sharing. I always appreciate seeing these impressions from owners of various trim levels since it's impossible to try every variation at a dealer

The 704 sport suspension in the 530/540 takes care of your issue about the ride being too floaty on the freeway. I also find it to be extremely comfortable around town too, so a nice balance.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2019, 07:13 PM   #8
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i M Package

Garage List
In sport plus my 540 feels like a rocket, but I'm sure it's nothing in comparison to the M550! I have HUD in my car and I like it but find my self turning it off quite often as it gets annoying at times, often at night. But it's a great feature. And my car never feels floaty but I wish I had an M550 to compare it to. one day...
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2019, 08:54 AM   #9
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
550 probably won't be as quick as 850 unless they change first gear as well, no?

I almost never drive my 540 in sport+ (almost always with wife and kids) though sport already has quite a punch (for me), I'm sure 550 is a beast
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 04:58 PM   #10
Soylent
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4C

Compared to my M4, the 540i does have a bit of a floaty feel. Not as rough and tight as the M cars, but then it shouldn't be. However, the 540i gets up in speed before you even realize it,; especially on the freeway.This surprised me. The I6 is plenty of power IMO. I love the 540i and choose it without a second thought for any distance driving over the M.
2008 M5 Saphire Black-gone
2004 M3 Dinan S3 Jet Black-gone
Appreciate 2
Fsarc55.50
clee1982797.50
      07-29-2019, 06:17 PM   #11
jjscsix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
550 probably won't be as quick as 850 unless they change first gear as well, no?

I almost never drive my 540 in sport+ (almost always with wife and kids) though sport already has quite a punch (for me), I'm sure 550 is a beast
The gearing difference would be very minimal. With eight gears to work with and all the torque at low rpms, it could make a tenth or so difference. But once rolling the torque is going to make a gearing difference almost meaningless.
      07-29-2019, 07:58 PM   #12
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

I pulled together some stats between the variants when I was weighing up whether or not to get the MPPSK. Sourced from here, but I think the figures are computed (not actual)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      07-29-2019, 08:48 PM   #13
geddylee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7, 2019 X5

Quote:
Took my M550 in for service a few weeks ago. The dealership gave me a 540i as a loaner while they waited on parts (lower shutters; headrest motor). It was a pretty low-spec 540 (sport line, sDrive). Just wanted to share a few observations.

1) The 540 is really nice car to drive around town. I almost forgot how "normal" a RWD car feels to drive. Pretty nice. Also, the lighter weight, softer suspension, higher ride height, and 18" wheels made for a really relaxing, plush ride.

2) The 540 is an okay car to drive on the freeway. I think those same things that make the 540 nice to drive around town work against it on the freeway. At speeds north of 70 mph, the car felt a little "floaty." In contrast, the M550 feels firmly planted at freeway speeds. It's like the M550 yawns and rolls over at 70...wake me up when we hit triple digits on the speedo.

3) My M550 has a head up display (HUD). Moving forward, I will always have a HUD in any car I purchase. The only analogy I can think of is a smartphone -- imagine going back to a Nokia 3210 after using an iPhone. Forget it.

4) The parking assistance package is, for me, another "must have." That overhead 3D view is just great. The loaner 540 only had the "sonar readout." It works, it's just not quite the same.

5) The M550's exhaust note is noticeably louder in the cabin than the 540. I never really appreciated how much I like the thrum and roar of that V8 until it was gone...

6) Compared to Comfort, I'm not sure what Sport+ mode was doing in the 540 (other than changing the shift points for the transmission). In contrast, the M550 is an entirely different (wild, almost violent) animal in Sport+ mode when compared to comfort. Night and day.

7) Fuel economy. Just kidding...

Overall, the 540 is really nice car. Obviously, a more "fully spec'd" version would have made a better point of comparison with my M550. But, if I was a dealership, I wouldn't loan out fully spec'd rides either.

Is the steering better on the M550 or can you not tell a difference?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 11:55 PM   #14
cartaozinho
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geddylee View Post
Is the steering better on the M550 or can you not tell a difference?
There was a very obvious difference between the sDrive (RWD only) and the xDrive (AWD, RWD-biased) in my M550. What's the best way to describe the difference...with my M550 i have the confidence to keep the throttle on through a corner...the xDrive system just shifts power to the front which pulls you through the corner...you learn to just know the car will keep traction no matter what.*

The sDrive system felt like a traditional RWD system. Big shock, I know. But, I didn't have anywhere near the time behind the wheel, nor inclination in a loaner, to explore the edge of the envelope. It's likely the 540 would be fine. But, it being a RWD car I brought a lot of my preconceptions/experience from other RWD cars. I expected oversteer. I didn't get any. But I expected it. The little bit I pushed the 540 it did nothing of the sort. So it's likely I would learn the car better and that it wouldn't oversteer.

I've read reports of "numb" steering for the M550. I'm not sure the feeling in my M550 is numb. It's just neutral. There are no glaring flaws of over or understeer. It just tracks. Obviously, when the car moves from RWD-bias to, say, 50/50 F/RWD, the line and track of the car changes. It's quicker because of it. But I can see why people think it feels numb. The car just knows what to do with the traction control. Depending on your line you have to adjust a bit when it transitions (if you're on a bad line). But I've learned to take much "squarer" lines, if that makes sense...just flick the wheel, keep on the gas, and the car will carry on...

And while I'm rambling on about steering (I've had a beer or two, so forgive me), when my M550 has the DSC off the pivot point of the car changes...with DSC on the car feels very RWD-like. The pivot point of the car is out over the rear axle. Not exactly like a true RWD car. But close. With DSC-off (traction) the car pivots in your hip pocket...right in the middle of the car...a weird sensation when you are first getting used to it...

*The one exception to this was when I made a U-turn in some wet weather under moderate throttle. The whole car lost traction and started moving sideways...The whole car...not like you'd get in a RWD car with just the rear end hanging out...the whole car!
Appreciate 1
geddylee176.00
      07-30-2019, 06:59 AM   #15
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

[QUOTE=cartaozinho;25084611]There was a very obvious difference between the sDrive (RWD only) and the xDrive (AWD, RWD-biased) in my M550. What's the best way to describe the difference...with my M550 i have the confidence to keep the throttle on through a corner...the xDrive system just shifts power to the front which pulls you through the corner...you learn to just know the car will keep traction no matter what.*

This is completely consistent with my high speed experience recently at M Track Days at COTA in Austin. The M4 Comp was fast, of course, but felt wild and almost over the edge in the corners....difficult to control IMO. The M5 Comp, OTOH, was fabulous. The AWD felt stable, totally under control, pulled you out of the corners with amazing hook-up. Significantly faster, as demonstrated by me being able to get above 140mph on the straight, which I could not do in the M4. Bigger, but didn't feel bigger, heavier but didn't feel heavier. Absolutely fabulous.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2019, 08:08 AM   #16
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
There was a very obvious difference between the sDrive (RWD only) and the xDrive (AWD, RWD-biased) in my M550. What's the best way to describe the difference...with my M550 i have the confidence to keep the throttle on through a corner...the xDrive system just shifts power to the front which pulls you through the corner...you learn to just know the car will keep traction no matter what.*

The sDrive system felt like a traditional RWD system. Big shock, I know. But, I didn't have anywhere near the time behind the wheel, nor inclination in a loaner, to explore the edge of the envelope. It's likely the 540 would be fine. But, it being a RWD car I brought a lot of my preconceptions/experience from other RWD cars. I expected oversteer. I didn't get any. But I expected it. The little bit I pushed the 540 it did nothing of the sort. So it's likely I would learn the car better and that it wouldn't oversteer.

I've read reports of "numb" steering for the M550. I'm not sure the feeling in my M550 is numb. It's just neutral. There are no glaring flaws of over or understeer. It just tracks. Obviously, when the car moves from RWD-bias to, say, 50/50 F/RWD, the line and track of the car changes. It's quicker because of it. But I can see why people think it feels numb. The car just knows what to do with the traction control. Depending on your line you have to adjust a bit when it transitions (if you're on a bad line). But I've learned to take much "squarer" lines, if that makes sense...just flick the wheel, keep on the gas, and the car will carry on...

And while I'm rambling on about steering (I've had a beer or two, so forgive me), when my M550 has the DSC off the pivot point of the car changes...with DSC on the car feels very RWD-like. The pivot point of the car is out over the rear axle. Not exactly like a true RWD car. But close. With DSC-off (traction) the car pivots in your hip pocket...right in the middle of the car...a weird sensation when you are first getting used to it...

*The one exception to this was when I made a U-turn in some wet weather under moderate throttle. The whole car lost traction and started moving sideways...The whole car...not like you'd get in a RWD car with just the rear end hanging out...the whole car!
I think the guys complain about numb is saying it's point and drive, not much feedback until you "lose it" (other than hearing tire squeak), guess it's the modern model of infinite traction until there isn't.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2019, 08:15 AM   #17
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The gearing difference would be very minimal. With eight gears to work with and all the torque at low rpms, it could make a tenth or so difference. But once rolling the torque is going to make a gearing difference almost meaningless.
don't doubt you, think just 1st gear are different?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 09:03 AM   #18
cartaozinho
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think the guys complain about numb is saying it's point and drive, not much feedback until you "lose it" (other than hearing tire squeak), guess it's the modern model of infinite traction until there isn't.
Well put. I would likely agree with that assessment if I had enough (any?) experience pushing the car far enough to lose traction (the wet U-turn example above excepted).

It strikes me as a bit odd, however, for automotive writers (guys) to tar the whole steering with the "numb" brush when the particular phenomenon that gives rise to that label is so specific/isolated. In 99.9%+ of driving cases the car is hooked up. At the limit there are non-linearities/discontinuities which, if you're norming on a fully manual RWD car, means the loss of traction is not as predictable (the operating envelope is drawn with thinner lines, if that makes sense). And alarming when it happens. But that's at the absolute limit. In those old school cars the operating envelope was much smaller. The lines used to draw that envelope were thicker (again, I hope that make sense). But the envelope was much smaller. It seems that's true even today. See hlothery's comment above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
This is completely consistent with my high speed experience recently at M Track Days at COTA in Austin. The M4 Comp was fast, of course, but felt wild and almost over the edge in the corners....difficult to control IMO. The M5 Comp, OTOH, was fabulous. The AWD felt stable, totally under control, pulled you out of the corners with amazing hook-up. Significantly faster, as demonstrated by me being able to get above 140mph on the straight, which I could not do in the M4. Bigger, but didn't feel bigger, heavier but didn't feel heavier. Absolutely fabulous.

I think labels like "numb steering" often result from writers being (1) nostalgic for the "good old days" of fully manual/mechanical cars and (2) needing something, anything, to write about/criticize. They have a job to do, afterall. That said, I am sure the memories of writers' old manual/mechanical cars are very pleasant. The realities were probably far less rosy...
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      07-30-2019, 09:15 AM   #19
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
totally agree with you on drive envelope in modern car vs. old, I'll never get to those limits anyway, so for me it's fine.

Though I can see the lack of feedback as in "I don't know how close I'm getting to lose it", guess the way these modern car is suppose to be you never get to 9/10th in the place (which you shouldn't on the street I imagine?)
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 10:15 AM   #20
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I think there is a numbness to it which can be experienced without the car even moving. With the car sat still and you turn the steering wheel either way , even here you can't really feel what the tyres are doing.
I look back at my old e39 530i and feel that had the best steering feel for any cars I've owned by a long way. Nothing I can do about it now , new cars are just different now and I have to live with it. But if I can't moan about it here, where can I?!
Appreciate 2
      07-30-2019, 10:34 AM   #21
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
oh totally agree on stationary turning, but on that part I don't really want to go back to real steering effort to turn in parking spot either...
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2019, 10:54 AM   #22
jjscsix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
don't doubt you, think just 1st gear are different?
I honestly don’t know what gears either has. But the engine has unbelievable torque...don’t have it in front of me, but it’s something like 560 I think. And most of them put out peak torque around 1800 rpm. So gearing is only only going to effect getting he car rolling from a dead stop. After that it’s all about power. Also, we don’t really know why (or if) they will have different gearing. The 2020 550 could get the same gearing because of the new found torque.

I’m not always right, so consider this just good conversation