BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Coding Bowers and Wilkins from another G30

07-17-2022, 01:38 PM   #1
SigmaPiFSC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 530e

Garage List
Coding Bowers and Wilkins from another G30

Has anyone replaced a Hi Fi system with a Bowers and Wilkins (both the speakers and the Amp)?

I've played with Bimmercode and there was some setting that looked like Bowers and Wilkins in German, and it enabled an EQ. Of course the EQ did not do anything to the sound because I don't have the hardware.

If I pick up the hardware some place, and install it, does anyone know how hard it is to enable it? Do I have to goto the Dealer? Or can I just use BimmerCode to make the magic?

In my son's 2012 Jeep, putting in a new radio required some kind of a radio ID code generated from the VIN or something. To project against theft. Is the BMW like that?

Thanks!
Ethan-
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 02:49 PM   #2
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaPiFSC View Post
Has anyone replaced a Hi Fi system with a Bowers and Wilkins (both the speakers and the Amp)?

I've played with Bimmercode and there was some setting that looked like Bowers and Wilkins in German, and it enabled an EQ. Of course the EQ did not do anything to the sound because I don't have the hardware.

If I pick up the hardware some place, and install it, does anyone know how hard it is to enable it? Do I have to goto the Dealer? Or can I just use BimmerCode to make the magic?

In my son's 2012 Jeep, putting in a new radio required some kind of a radio ID code generated from the VIN or something. To project against theft. Is the BMW like that?

Thanks!
Ethan-
Yes, search in the I Drive, Audio, Bluetooth forum section.
      07-18-2022, 05:09 AM   #3
MauiSteve
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M Sport 540i

I think it will likely be difficult and expensive for you to find the B&W components. If you have the Hi-Fi system (not the Harmon), then probably your best bet is to use a solution from Bimmer-Tech. Enter your VIN at their website: https://www.bimmer-tech.net/speakers...lifier-for-bmw

Bavsound also makes very nice speakers. Some get the Bimmer-Tech amp, but use the Bavsound speakers. But this may require more amp configuration with the software made for adjusting digital signal processing of the Bimmer-Tech amp.

Either option gets you better than Harmon Kardon sound, but not up to B&W sound. The weakness is really the amplifier. Both the Bimmer-Tech and the Harmon amp are around 600 watts where the B&W amp is more than double that.

There are lots of YouTube vids on Bimmer-Tech installations. I recall one by Kies Motorsports that was pretty good. Bottom line, going with an all Bimmer-Tech solution will be the easiest and most cost effective way to upgrade from Hi-Fi.
      07-18-2022, 05:20 AM   #4
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Honestly, I am an online G30 junkie who is all over forums and Facebook groups. Many have asked this question and I know no one who pulled the trigger on procuring all the hardware. Coding is not the issue, that is the easy part. Cost and level of effort is just way over the top. Just put it on your list for the next car. I know no one who has retrofitted it for good reasons. It's not just speakers, subs and an amp. You are looking at a new wiring harness that needs to go to EVERY speaker point as well as the amp.
      07-18-2022, 08:30 AM   #5
peteinpa
First Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

I installed the bimmertech amp, also installed bimmertech subs as well as rear deck and center. I
Picked up B&W after market for front doors with the leds. Sounds much better then the hi-fi system.
Recently drove an 840 with HK. Mine sounded just as good or better but sound is subjective. Have not heard the B&W live so cannot comment but take the word of many on the forum regarding the B&W being best.
One other consideration. The bimmertech amp can be tuned to your liking. You can either diy or provide them with feedback and they will send you a tune you can download. I usually opt for the latter.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 07:48 PM   #6
RonronEG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

In addition to the obvious speakers and amp there are active crossovers in each front door that would need to be added to have the complete B&W system. If I didn't have it, it would not be something I would have tried retrofitting. Definitely easier to go aftermarket kit or DIY a custom setup (which could easily exceed the sound of the Bowers if done right).
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 09:53 AM   #7
bruhugo2k
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw g30 540i xdrive

Have anyone tried coding bowers and wilkins menu and sound menu into idrive 6? I tried to code through bimmercode, but I couldn't access it due the headunit being coded before.. So I am left with an option, just taking car to shop and let them update the idrive, so I get a full screen apple carplay and after that code bowers and wilkins menu, just so it matches the b&w covers in the car and to have a oem looking menu, in addition with more advanced equaliser and different sound stages.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 10:24 AM   #8
ab1752
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i

I happen to have a spare B&W amp from my previous M550i, and my new one is HK...I haven't poked around to see if the connections would physically support swapping the amps and subsequently the speakers out, and I think there could be a bunch more other components needed to physically enable such a swap, in advance of coding.

I own my car but don't want to risk exploding the Hk as it stands...chicken meet egg time, I guess.

I also think if a higher powered amp for the factory hk came out I'd be all over it. It's very under powered...
Appreciate 0