BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Sim Racing Title change: Index vs Primax?!?!

10-11-2022, 07:39 AM   #1
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Title change: Index vs Primax?!?!

Alright, I need to upgrade my HMD!

A little info before we get into it, all my VR use is seated, primarily for AC, PC3, F1 2022, Elite Dangerous, DCS, and MSFS, with Elite D being the most used. Because I'm seated I don't care if there are cables. Headset audio isn't a huge concern because I have external surround sound set up.

System specs:
12th Gen i9
RTX 3090ti
32GB DDR5

I have a Quest2 right now. It's alright, but the low FOV bothers me and image quality is ok at best even at ultra settings for everything and 120 refresh rates. I can read things in DCS, Elite D, and the likes, but its not clear.

I've been looking at the Valve Index because of the 120deg FOV and it's "top VR" status by a lot of people, but recently started looking at the Primax with it's 200deg FOV. I know with that increase of FOV comes some image quality loss and distortion at the edges, but does edge distortion really matter? I'm not trying to read a gauge in my peripheral vision.

I've read that getting the Primax set up and dialed in can be a real pain and causes a lot of people to give up, but once finished people tend to enjoy them.

Anyone have experience with both? Reviews of the Primax seem to be 50/50, where as Index is mostly positive. I know a lot of people opt for the Index because of ease of use.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread

Last edited by ///d; 10-26-2022 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 0