BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Bluetooth disconnects when key fob leaves vehicle

09-27-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
Barry9020
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19 m550i

Bluetooth disconnects when key fob leaves vehicle

hey guys i just took delivery of my bmw m550i last night and i noticed that the car disconnects my phone Bluetooth everytime the key fob leaves the car. a huge message pops up on the idrive screen and when i close the message my phone is disconnected from the cars bluetooth and has to reconnect again. i have attached a video showing it happen here.

can someone tell me how to resolve this issue?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 11:00 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Is a passenger taking the key away from the car? Can the key not be simply left with the car given there is still someone inside which I am assuming is the driver??
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 11:16 AM   #3
Barry9020
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Is a passenger taking the key away from the car? Can the key not be simply left with the car given there is still someone inside which I am assuming is the driver??
no lets say im alone in the car with my phone connected to the bluetooth, and i step out of the car while its still on & with the key in my hand, the car will display the "remote is missing" warning and automatically disconnect my phone from the cars Bluetooth, once i close the warning sign it starts to reconnect to my phone.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 03:11 PM   #4
Bimmerstyle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 G31 530d

First off, Sorry for resurecting a thread this old. But it was the only thing I could find about it on Google and maybe all these years later someone has a solution for it.

So I know this is not a fault but rather a feature of the car but in my case it is a bit problematic. I have the car, a 2017 G31 530d, now for about a year and a half and for all this time I played music through the USB ports of the car. The last week however I've finaly got Spotify to work using the AAIdrive app (great app by the way) so now I usually play Spotify using bluetooth. And this is where this "feature" becomes a bit annoying.

Scenario: My car is in the garage. I open the garage doors (manually), get in the car, lay my phone in the charging cradle, start the car and drive out of the garage. During this time on the phone there is a Tasker routine that starts AAIdrive and MyBMW. It keeps MyBMW 20 seconds in the foreground giving me time to unlock it with my fingerprint should it be locked. After 20 seconds my radar detection app comes to the foreground and by now music starts playing from Spotify. By now I'm also out of the garage and have to get out the car to close my garage doors. When I do this the bluetooth disconnects from the phone and music stops playing. When the garage doors are closed and I get back in to the car the entire sequence starts again and it takes another 30 seconds before music starts playing again.

The same thing happens when I put the car in the garage. Problem then is that sometimes the entire sequence of loading the apps isn't finished when I turn the car off so I have to wait for them to finish so I can manually close my radar detection app and lock my phone.

I know this isn't that huge of a problem but can be a bit annoying. I'm pretty sure there isn't a setting in the iDrive menu for turning off disconnecting of bluetooth when the key leaves the car. I searched everywhere but can't find anything.

Does anyone know if this perhaps can be coded on the car? In my opinion this is a bit of a useless feature. Maybe when someone carjacks the car it is nice that bluetooth disconnects and with the phone locked thieves can't interact with the phone anymore but with the speedcam app open my phone is unlocked anyway so for me that doesn't make a difference at all. So I would love to see this feature to be turned off.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0