BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Wifi subscription

10-05-2018, 07:50 AM   #1
Dave Wh
Rep
Drives: 540i Xdrive Msport

Wifi subscription

All,

I am awaiting delivery of my 540i and I have specified the Technology Pack (UK spec) that includes in car wifi which will be great for the kids on their ipads. This looks to be great until I look at the subscription charges from T-mobile.

In Europe all of the data packages bought across Europe can be used in any European country. So if I lived in Germany and signed up for a data package and then if I moved to the UK I could happily use all my data in the UK for however long I wanted on the same rates. Problem I have is the huge difference in prices for the subscription across Europe.

In Germany prices per month are: -

3GB - €9.95 (@ £8.76)
5GB - €14.95(@ £13.17)
10GB - €24.95 (@ £21.98)

The UK prices are: -

2GB - £14.50 (@ €16.44)
5GB - £24.50 (@ €27.78)

So the prices by subscribing in the UK are significantly higher then in Germany, yet you can use the same subscription to use the data in both countries.

Does anyone know if you can sign up for a data package in Germany if you live in the UK? Or is there another way around the huge data prices that T-mobile charge in the UK?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 11:15 AM   #2
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
It's not worth it either way. I clocked the speed in the middle of Edinburgh city centre which came well below what my mobile hotspot delivers. And connecting to it is also bit cumbersome.

So my conclusion was that it's a good feature if you are a limo driver but not for everyday use. I suspect pricing may have been designed with that in mind.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 02:17 PM   #3
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wh View Post
All,

I am awaiting delivery of my 540i and I have specified the Technology Pack (UK spec) that includes in car wifi which will be great for the kids on their ipads. This looks to be great until I look at the subscription charges from T-mobile.

In Europe all of the data packages bought across Europe can be used in any European country. So if I lived in Germany and signed up for a data package and then if I moved to the UK I could happily use all my data in the UK for however long I wanted on the same rates. Problem I have is the huge difference in prices for the subscription across Europe.

In Germany prices per month are: -

3GB - €9.95 (@ £8.76)
5GB - €14.95(@ £13.17)
10GB - €24.95 (@ £21.98)

The UK prices are: -

2GB - £14.50 (@ €16.44)
5GB - £24.50 (@ €27.78)

So the prices by subscribing in the UK are significantly higher then in Germany, yet you can use the same subscription to use the data in both countries.

Does anyone know if you can sign up for a data package in Germany if you live in the UK? Or is there another way around the huge data prices that T-mobile charge in the UK?
Use VPN apps to overcome the geographical restriction for your computer
Appreciate 0