BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Movies! The movie thread

02-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #155
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
Hm... I like Black Panther. The ladies in the movie are just bad a$$.
Curious. What are your top 5 favorite movies?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #156
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Curious. What are your top 5 favorite movies?
I don't know if I have top five but here are some of my favorites:

Dr. Strange Love
2001 Space Odyssey
Patton
Spartacus
Top Gun
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 11:27 AM   #157
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Folks can HATE on Black Panther all they want! The $$$$$$ don't lie though.

It was a VERY entertaining film from start to finish. And as a "Comicbook/Superhero Movie" it delivered... Period!
      02-11-2019, 11:28 AM   #158
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I don't know if I have top five but here are some of my favorites:

Dr. Strange Love
2001 Space Odyssey
Patton
Spartacus
Top Gun
Interesting selection. I have not seen Dr. Strange Love but I need to. I'll not form of an opinion based off of the redeeming movies you posted above. Carry on.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 11:33 AM   #159
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

We saw Cold Pursuit Friday night, wife's choice. I could easily have waited until it came to FX or something on TV.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #160
WestRace
Major
Rep

Quote:
Interesting selection. I have not seen Dr. Strange Love but I need to. I'll not form of an opinion based off of the redeeming movies you posted above. Carry on.
One cannot claim to know movies unless one has seen Dr. Strange Love.
Appreciate 2
UncleWede17872.50
King Rudi13152.00
      02-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #161
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Folks can HATE on Black Panther all they want! The $$$$$$ don't lie though.

It was a VERY entertaining film from start to finish. And as a "Comicbook/Superhero Movie" it delivered... Period!
I can't say that I hate on Black Panther for any reason other than if I can't make it more than 15 minutes in then it just isn't worth it. The only arguable point that you make here is that the $$$$ can not be indicative as to any basis for films these days based on how society is. No disrespect my man as I feel like we have the same taste in a lot of things but as a beacon here Minions grossed $1,217,970,720. People will throw money at whatever you put in front of them. Some of the greatest movies I've ever seen most have never heard of.
Appreciate 2
      02-11-2019, 11:47 AM   #162
PA135ii
seeking salvation
Rep
Drives: 18 Camaro SS 08 CR-V

I just saw this again with the GF. Very well acted, if you have not seen worth a look.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...0&&FORM=VRDGAR
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 11:47 AM   #163
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
One cannot claim to know movies unless one has seen Dr. Strange Love.
I can't relate to your comment as I have not seen it, but this is to also say that someone can not be intelligent just because they have not read War and Peace.

I only watch super hero movies so that I can discuss how terrible they are and make fun of my friends who watch every single one of them and know the entire back story of every single character. I get that everyone is different and my opinion of super hero movies wins me no fans but they are extremely predictable, over done and show exactly how far hollywood goes to produce films just to fill seats at the theater rather than to come up with something original.

Super hero films are no different than playing on the playground when you are a child and the other kid you play with always seems to have an "invisible shield" and can't be hurt but yet they always expect you to fall down and die. Put this mentality in film form and you have EVERY....SINGLE....super hero movie ever made.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 11:50 AM   #164
WestRace
Major
Rep

Quote:
I can't say that I hate on Black Panther for any reason other than if I can't make it more than 15 minutes in then it just isn't worth it. The only arguable point that you make here is that the $$$$ can not be indicative as to any basis for films these days based on how society is. No disrespect my man as I feel like we have the same taste in a lot of things but as a beacon here Minions grossed $1,217,970,720. People will throw money at whatever you put in front of them. Some of the greatest movies I've ever seen most have never heard of.
Sometimes you cannot ignore the money. It is what it is. Nobody is going to pay money to watch Shakespeare ... over and over again.

Of course it's just not the money. The reason Black Panther was so successful because there is a timeless humanity in its characters. Most movies nowaday are just a bunch of special effects with no humanity (aka Christopher Nolan).
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
TXSTYLE13651.00
      02-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #165
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
John Carpenter is a LEGEND!!! Fan of all his films.

Was just watching remastered copy of THEY LIVE!
In my kitchen I have a sign with a white background and black lettering that reads "CONSUME." Only the cool people get it and appreciate it. Others think I'm a weirdo and I'm cool with the squares thinking that.
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13651.00
      02-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #166
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Sometimes you cannot ignore the money. It is what it is. Nobody is going to pay money to watch Shakespeare ... over and over again.

Of course it's just not the money. The reason Black Panther was so successful because there is a timeless humanity in its characters. Most movies nowaday are just a bunch of special effects with no humanity (aka Christopher Nolan).
Have you seen a Chris Nolan movie? Batman Begins was outstanding! What every comic movie should aspire to be. 10X better than most Marvel movies. Great acting, great plots (no gaping plot holes), good FX. Did you see Interstellar? Memento?

Was there humanity in Black Panther? A little maybe, but the plot lacked, there were plot holes, and lots of mindless FX and fights. Typical Marvel fare.
Appreciate 1
Shiza1193.00
      02-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #167
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
Have you seen a Chris Nolan movie? Batman Begins was outstanding! What every comic movie should aspire to be. 10X better than most Marvel movies. Great acting, great plots (no gaping plot holes), good FX. Did you see Interstellar? Memento?

Was there humanity in Black Panther? A little maybe, but the plot lacked, there were plot holes, and lots of mindless FX and fights. Typical Marvel fare.

I have to agree with Dodger, you must be thinking of Michael Bay movies instead. Have you seen Dunkirk, Interstellar, Inception?

Dunkirk alone won major awards.

After looking it up, 3 Oscars.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2019, 12:21 PM   #168
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
I have to agree with Dodger, you must be thinking of Michael Bay movies instead. Have you seen Dunkirk, Interstellar, Inception?

Dunkirk alone won major awards.

After looking it up, 3 Oscars.
Humanity.....See the pilots eyes (Tom Hardy) in Dunkirk. A very good movie.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #169
WestRace
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
Have you seen Dunkirk, Interstellar, Inception?
Unfortunately I did. It was painful. I have seen bad movies and those belong to what I would call "painfully bad". I would see a Michael Bay movie at least I'd be entertained.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #170
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Unfortunately I did. It was painful. I have seen bad movies and those belong to what I would call "painfully bad". I would see a Michael Bay movie at least I'd be entertained.
Dude wtf
Appreciate 2
Shiza1193.00
      02-11-2019, 12:27 PM   #171
WestRace
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post

I actually saw Memento which I liked but I think he went down hill after that. Batman Begin actually was pretty good, but everything after that was an absolute mess. It's best to categorize all his movies as "pseudo science".
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #172
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

True grit, no country for old men, saving private Ryan,?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 12:32 PM   #173
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
True grit, no country for old men, saving private Ryan,?
All great movies
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      02-11-2019, 12:33 PM   #174
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
When I say the "money don't lie", it does not mean that "profits determine the overall review of a film". But it obviously signals that the movie has enough substance (whatever that may be) to justify it's phenomenal success. Generally speaking, just about all MARVEL films currently hit that mark. I think you know what I'm saying, being a "movie buff" as I.
      02-11-2019, 12:39 PM   #175
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I feel like a clear line has been drawn in the sand here and the Black Panther love is starting to make sense to me now.

I can't hate on Michael Bay too much as he has been associated with some greatness over the years.....but then again he has made some tragic pieces of shit as well. I hurts my head to think that the man who directed A Quiet Place, The Purge Movies, Bad Boys and Pain and Gain is also responsible for those damn Transformer movies, Ouija, Pearl Harbor (I'm sorry but this movie sucked!) Ninja Turtles and personally I feel like he needs a beating after the portrayal of Freddy Krueger in 2010's remake of Nightmare on Elm Street.

I do feel like I need to dig a bit deeper here. What are your thoughts on Paul Blart Mall Cop and The Nutty Professor movies?
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #176
WestRace
Major
Rep

Quote:
I do feel like I need to dig a bit deeper here. What are your thoughts on Paul Blart Mall Cop and The Nutty Professor movies?
I have not seen Paul Blart Mall Cop, but have seen Nutty Professor. Nice popcorn movie.

Every director makes good or bad movies. Nobody makes good movies all the time. What I don't like about Nolan is all his movies are somewhat pretentious and lacking authenticity and I would call them "pseudo intellect". They pretend to be serious but looking deeper they are somewhat superficial.

Black Panther does not pretend to be anything but a piece of entertainment. Of course it's more than that. As I said there is a timeless humanity. The fight scene on water on the mountain cliff was one of the most original scenes I have seen lately (along with Ben Hur horse race scene) albeit at a smaller scale but no less grit. I am sure both guys and girls can find something they like in that scene.
Appreciate 0