THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) M235i Got rear ended by teenage texter!

07-08-2017, 12:33 AM   #1
Audioholics
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

M235i Got rear ended by teenage texter!

My 2 month old M235i just got rear ended by an 18yo teenage texting going about 35-40mph.

What really sucks, aside from the whiplash my wife and I got, was there is likely not enough damage to get the car totaled but even a full repair will cause accidental depreciation. I honestly don't want to keep a car that's been damaged this extensively.

One thing I have to give this car, it still drives straight.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 10:38 AM   #2
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

First off I'm glad to hear you and your wife are ok - aside from the whiplash that is. Laws on diminished value vary from state to state so get in contact with an attorney well versed in your states laws.

Do the research and pick out a BMW certified repair center that has good reviews. Almost anything can be fixed when repaired properly your car should be good as new - and most importantly safe. Good luck and get well soon.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 02:38 PM   #3
Audioholics
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantdieselx View Post
First off I'm glad to hear you and your wife are ok - aside from the whiplash that is. Laws on diminished value vary from state to state so get in contact with an attorney well versed in your states laws.

Do the research and pick out a BMW certified repair center that has good reviews. Almost anything can be fixed when repaired properly your car should be good as new - and most importantly safe. Good luck and get well soon.
Yea thx, I'm doing exactly what you're saying right now.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 03:42 PM   #4
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 228i xdrive

How'd the front get damaged? Did they push you into something?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #5
EuroDude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 GT350

Garage List
2017 Ford GT350  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher View Post
That was going to be my question as well. Where in Florida are you?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 03:13 PM   #6
Audioholics
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher View Post
yes they pushed me into a car with a trailer hitch on it

Last edited by Audioholics; 07-09-2017 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 03:57 PM   #7
Audioholics
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroDude View Post
That was going to be my question as well. Where in Florida are you?
a little north of Tampa.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 04:01 PM   #8
ares05x
Rep
Drives: NA

Sorry about the car OP. Hope your wife and you are recovering well. With regards to the diminished value, would you be able to recover this from the other party's insurance? Would this impact your premiums by any chance? I'm just curious and don't know a lot about how auto insurance works in these cases. Hope you get some justice out of this.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 12:50 PM   #9
Audioholics
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ares05x View Post
Sorry about the car OP. Hope your wife and you are recovering well. With regards to the diminished value, would you be able to recover this from the other party's insurance? Would this impact your premiums by any chance? I'm just curious and don't know a lot about how auto insurance works in these cases. Hope you get some justice out of this.
thx for your thoughts.

Yea this is new to me as well. My lawyer says they will go after his insurance company for depreciated value but its best for me to use my,insurance company to get the car fixed otherwise his insurance will drag this out.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 07:26 PM   #10
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

sucks, hope you are alright. I also hope you went to the hospital or doctor to get checked out. You might not have pains until 3 days after the accident. Could have caused neck, or back injury's which can result in up to a 100k settlement.

It has about 4k woorth of damage all in. Pay your deductible and move on. Doesn't look like any frame damage, car will be fine.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 09:31 PM   #11
Audioholics
Private
Rep

Yea I went to Chiropractor the day it happened and going to my MD this week. WE both have some unfortunate neck/back pain. I can't even workout now which really pisses me off because it limits my ability to eat pizza without getting fat

The insurance appraiser gave me an estimate of $9k worth of damage. I'm having my car shipped directly to a BMW body shop and they will reassess. I am also hoping to get some depreciation value after all is repaired.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2017, 04:58 PM   #12
lootman1221
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

sorry to hear that and hope everyone is alright. i do realize im comparing two different cars at a major difference in value but about 3 months ago i was rear ended in my hyundai genesis coupe while stopped at a redlight by a chevy silverado doing about 40mph. my car was white and paint is very hard to match, so right from the start i essentially needed a whole new shell and that wasnt even including frame damage, tail lights and other repairs. the car was only worth 26k which is far from howmuch your bmw is worth but i felt the same way, being that i bought the car brand new because i knew it wasnt in an accident or anything along those lines. i hope they total it for your luck

Last edited by lootman1221; 07-14-2017 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 07:58 PM   #13
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioholics View Post
Yea I went to Chiropractor the day it happened and going to my MD this week. WE both have some unfortunate neck/back pain. I can't even workout now which really pisses me off because it limits my ability to eat pizza without getting fat

The insurance appraiser gave me an estimate of $9k worth of damage. I'm having my car shipped directly to a BMW body shop and they will reassess. I am also hoping to get some depreciation value after all is repaired.
I feel you man. Take it easy and just watch your diet and you'll be fine. I had a herniated disc and had to stop working out for 2 1/2 months. I stuck to a strict diet and actually lost 20lbs. Got back to working out in ever better shape than before I got hurt.

Try a good Physical Therapist it worked wonders for my back. Combination of traction with manipulation and stretching worked wonders. Good luck.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 11:17 PM   #14
Audioholics
Private
Rep

Quote:
I feel you man. Take it easy and just watch your diet and you'll be fine. I had a herniated disc and had to stop working out for 2 1/2 months. I stuck to a strict diet and actually lost 20lbs. Got back to working out in ever better shape than before I got hurt.

Try a good Physical Therapist it worked wonders for my back. Combination of traction with manipulation and stretching worked wonders. Good luck.
Yea after the MRI's are done, that will be my next step. It's really just annoying the time/pain/money lost for someone else carelessness.

I did a little rant about it here which I guess helped me come to terms with it a little more:
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #15
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yea after the MRI's are done, that will be my next step. It's really just annoying the time/pain/money lost for someone else carelessness.

I did a little rant about it here which I guess helped me come to terms with it a little more:
I've been there. Believe me when I tell you it sucks but it could have been much worse. BMW makes some of the safest cars on the planet - I'm living proof. In 2011 I had 2010 E92. One snow storm I was on the way to work.

I was hit by a plow truck (one of the large trucks that the DOT uses). On top of the plow blade impaling the left side if my car it dumped snow over the entire car. I lost control and spun out backwards slamming into a guard rail. As I was stuck in the snow perpendicular to traffic I was hit broad side by an SUV. I hit my head on the B-pillar and split my head open.

In addition to neck & back injuries I wound up with a Traumatic Brain Injury. It took a solid 8 months to recover. The plow driver took off and never even stopped. I was lucky in that there were cameras on the section of bridge where it happened and they were able to track down the driver.

Doctors told me the car saved my life and it did. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 12:47 PM   #16
Audioholics
Private
Rep

Quote:
I've been there. Believe me when I tell you it sucks but it could have been much worse. BMW makes some of the safest cars on the planet - I'm living proof. In 2011 I had 2010 E92. One snow storm I was on the way to work.

I was hit by a plow truck (one of the large trucks that the DOT uses). On top of the plow blade impaling the left side if my car it dumped snow over the entire car. I lost control and spun out backwards slamming into a guard rail. As I was stuck in the snow perpendicular to traffic I was hit broad side by an SUV. I hit my head on the B-pillar and split my head open.

In addition to neck & back injuries I wound up with a Traumatic Brain Injury. It took a solid 8 months to recover. The plow driver took off and never even stopped. I was lucky in that there were cameras on the section of bridge where it happened and they were able to track down the driver.

Doctors told me the car saved my life and it did. Prayers for a speedy recovery.
Wow man, I'm sorry to hear about your horrible accident. Yes you are right, we were very fortunate. These type of events really open your eyes to how delicate and precious life is. Thanks for your thoughts and hope all is well on your end too.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 05:39 PM   #17
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Wow man, I'm sorry to hear about your horrible accident. Yes you are right, we were very fortunate. These type of events really open your eyes to how delicate and precious life is. Thanks for your thoughts and hope all is well on your end too.
Thank you as well. I'm 100% recovered from that accident thank God. You'll get there take it one day at a time.

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 12:56 PM   #18
Audioholics
Private
Rep

I just spoke to the body shop fixing my car. I am having them add sound deadening materials to the trunk and floor boards. This should really help reduce road noise and improve audio fidelity in the car as a result. At least I'm getting the car partly enhanced while being repaired.
Appreciate 1