BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding BMW Advanced Eye 2 - Dash cam now available in the UK

08-07-2018, 01:08 PM   #1
BudgieUK
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M-Sport Touring

BMW Advanced Eye 2 - Dash cam now available in the UK

I have found out that the latest version of the BMW dash cam is now available in the UK. It looks a lot more compact than the previous version, and the specification seems to be pretty good. List price is £295 and will take about 2-hours to install, so total will be approx £450 installed.
I have attached screen shots showing the specification
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50
      08-08-2018, 12:27 AM   #2
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Thanks for posting.

I'm not so sure though. Was waiting for a first look but no built in screen to view. That's ok as screens add to bulk. So to view you have to connect to the camera software with a cable? This system has wifi so maybe events can be viewed over wifi.

Bonus is a nice rear view camera, though no pics yet in the material

Have had a look at the play store app. One screen shot shows wi fi so this feature might well be available. The specs say wifi n too.

Also lots of screen shots to view. Mixed reviews.

Maybe this is a winner.

Anyone got install instructions? Then we can see if it's dealer only eg needs coding to car or whether the diyer stands a chance to save £250

You tube has an unboxing video with interesting handiwork. Search for advanced car eye unboxing

Last edited by Dephead2004; 08-08-2018 at 12:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 03:54 AM   #3
BudgieUK
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephead2004 View Post
Thanks for posting.

I'm not so sure though. Was waiting for a first look but no built in screen to view. That's ok as screens add to bulk. So to view you have to connect to the camera software with a cable? This system has wifi so maybe events can be viewed over wifi.

Bonus is a nice rear view camera, though no pics yet in the material

Have had a look at the play store app. One screen shot shows wi fi so this feature might well be available. The specs say wifi n too.

Also lots of screen shots to view. Mixed reviews.

Maybe this is a winner.

Anyone got install instructions? Then we can see if it's dealer only eg needs coding to car or whether the diyer stands a chance to save £250

You tube has an unboxing video with interesting handiwork. Search for advanced car eye unboxing
The installation instructions are available here https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/akti...hmentId=762959
Appreciate 1
teaston10990.50
      08-08-2018, 03:27 PM   #4
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks BudgieUK
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 12:16 AM   #5
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

After a bit more research, I think this camera ACE2 set up looks promising with two exceptions.

Firstly, the suggested position for the front camera looks odd offset to the passenger side. Why not directly below the rest mirror cluster?

Secondly, I think I'm right in saying that you would need to be in or close to the car to view the videos. I've seen a Blackvue which has a cloud server with limited free access world wide.

This seems like the next big thing for peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 02:51 PM   #6
BudgieUK
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I have the new Advanced Eye 2 DashCam on order, and expect to get it installed within the next couple of weeks. Once it's in, I'll take some pics and provide a bit of a review.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 04:40 PM   #7
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

That will be a must read
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #8
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

Any update?

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 12:52 AM   #9
BudgieUK
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balster View Post
Any update?
It was fitted yesterday, so just getting used to it at the moment.

Early reactions:
- Wi-fi connectivity to the app is a bit flakey
- The default settings seem strange (e.g only record video when g-shock detected)
- rear camera image looks quite dim (I have m-sport so tinted rear glass)
- location of front camera seems too low in passenger side of screen (I might see if I can move it up a bit) - it's in the position shown in the instructions, but looks a bit too low to me
- front camera "sticky pad" that fixes it to windscreen is grey ... should be black imho
- status LEDs seem a bit bright .... I can see me covering them with black tape!!

I need to download some footage to laptop to have a look at image quality etc. but on my phone it looks OK.

More later
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #10
Ochie
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 30i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgieUK View Post
It was fitted yesterday, so just getting used to it at the moment.

Early reactions:
- Wi-fi connectivity to the app is a bit flakey
- The default settings seem strange (e.g only record video when g-shock detected)
- rear camera image looks quite dim (I have m-sport so tinted rear glass)
- location of front camera seems too low in passenger side of screen (I might see if I can move it up a bit) - it's in the position shown in the instructions, but looks a bit too low to me
- front camera "sticky pad" that fixes it to windscreen is grey ... should be black imho
- status LEDs seem a bit bright .... I can see me covering them with black tape!!

I need to download some footage to laptop to have a look at image quality etc. but on my phone it looks OK.

More later
Anything else you can report on?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 07:08 PM   #11
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Unless BMW makes it an factory option that is built into the car, i.e under the center mirror or something, u r better off getting blackvue or thinkware, who actually make dash cam for living.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 02:33 PM   #12
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvding View Post
Unless BMW makes it an factory option that is built into the car, i.e under the center mirror or something, u r better off getting blackvue or thinkware, who actually make dash cam for living.
+1

I would get a Blackvue DR750S-2CH or Thinkware F880 over a BMW branded dashcam. Hardwiring is dead easy, the hardest part will be crimping the connectors to the Multi-Safer or Power Magic Pro.

£500 RRP for a cam is madness.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #13
BudgieUK
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Anything else you can report on?
After a few weeks using it, I have a few more comments:

- the wi-if connectivity is problematic at times. When trying to connect to the dash-cam, my iPhone keeps disconnecting, and re-connecting to CarPlay, so I have to go into iDrive to stop the car connecting to CarPlay
- resolution is OK at best. The overall image is clear, but resolution will not allow you to see car registration numbers unless the car is quite close by.
- Reliability so far is good, with the camera switching between driving mode to parking mode reliably (the camera announces the status via spoken messages)
- to review the video files on my Mac, I had to download VLC video player (Free), and this allowed easy viewing of the files

Any specific questions you may have, do ask and I'll try and answer as best I can
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 11:14 AM   #14
SEU
Rep
Drives: 17" BMW M4 ZCP + 15" BMW i3

IRO Dashcam for BMW 5 Series

This dashcam looks very good, someone who has experience with it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IRO-Dashcam...r=541893433656

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 03:56 PM   #15
happyandrew
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F01 730d

I now regret getting the Advance Eye 2 fitted. Sure the camera is ok, the app is rubbish (it reports my car is parked 30 miles from the actual location!) There is no PC Dashcam viewer like the one you get with BlackVue or some of the cheaper dash cams. The official BMW Advance Eye software does not recognise the file format of Advance Eye 2. When I ask BMW UK, they refuse to talk to me, I have to go through BMW dealer. So I asked BMW dealer to ask BMW UK for the right software, and after a week they just tell me to us a video player. Makes no use of the GPS data, speed. They can't explain why the app shows the car is parked in the wrong place. BMW UK have been not been at all helpful. So much so I do not want to buy another BMW. Oh and the Dash Cam is going to go back and I am going to fit the Black Vue
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 11:42 AM   #16
maigrait
Rep
Drives: BWM 540i

Quote:

- the wi-if connectivity is problematic at times. When trying to connect to the dash-cam, my iPhone keeps disconnecting, and re-connecting to CarPlay, so I have to go into iDrive to stop the car connecting to CarPlay
- resolution is OK at best. The overall image is clear, but resolution will not allow you to see car registration numbers unless the car is quite close by.
- Reliability so far is good, with the camera switching between driving mode to parking mode reliably (the camera announces the status via spoken messages)
- to review the video files on my Mac, I had to download VLC video player (Free), and this allowed easy viewing of the files

Any specific questions you may have, do ask and I'll try and answer as best I can
Hi Budgie,
Does yours record the rear? My camera is connected as I can see it in the live view and the option for front/rear is selected but when looking at the images on the card no rear camera ones... Any idea?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 03:29 PM   #17
BudgieUK
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maigrait View Post
Quote:

Hi Budgie,
Does yours record the rear? My camera is connected as I can see it in the live view and the option for front/rear is selected but when looking at the images on the card no rear camera ones... Any idea?
Yes, it does record, but seeing it is not straightforward. The front and rear images are in the same file.
I use a Mac, so use VLC player to view the files, but to see the rear image, you need to select the file, then select <video>/<video track>/<Track2>
I hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 04:27 AM   #18
maigrait
Rep
Drives: BWM 540i

Quote:
Yes, it does record, but seeing it is not straightforward. The front and rear images are in the same file.
I use a Mac, so use VLC player to view the files, but to see the rear image, you need to select the file, then select <video>/<video track>/<Track2>
I hope this helps
Ha! I came to this conclusion about an hour before you posted. I've never seen this before on a video file about different tracks. You learn something every day...

Yes VLC works a treat.

Quality is not too bad I guess, better than nothing if something happens.

Thanks for responding Budgie!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 06:32 AM   #19
Reynolds230
Mauritius
Rep
Drives: BMW530E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEU View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEU View Post

Can this dashcam be install on the rear view mirror even if you have adaptive headlights? Because I have the impression that there is a front camera installed in the mirror that comes with adaptive headlights. Anyone has an6 experience with this?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 12:52 AM   #20
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

Seems like a horrible install and no discreet at all and judging by your description of the features, it seems like a really bad way to spend £450!

My generic amazon camera seems to be far better and you cannot see it from inside or outside of car either at a cost of £70 and some diy installation
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 11:15 AM   #21
Loans1308
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 sDrive 2.0i

Advanced Eye 2 Dash Camera

Folks, new to this so please bear with me.
Just got the new BMW Advanced Eye 2 camera fitted to my X3. It was done by the dealer at a cost of £475. Probably more than I wanted to pay but I am not a techy and I wanted to get all the wires hidden etc.

Big disappointment for me was that after I picked up the car I was handed a manual and advised that nobody could tell me how it works as it was so new. My cameras were the first that was fitted by this dealer.

As some people have said I had initial trouble getting it to connect to my phone.
The manual tells you to change the SSID and password to something that you will only know but this came up and I did not realise at the time. Suffice to say that after a couple of days and even to the extent that I reset the camera back to the factory settings to see if this would help I have finally managed to connect the camera to my iPhone.

Here are some pointers about this camera.

When you go into the car and switch on the ignition, the power light and RED light will come on in the camera and it will say “RECORDING STARTED”. Note it is not connected to your phone. All the recordings stay on the SIM card in the camera and you have two choices. You can remove the SD card and take it to your computer or you can download the videos to your phone if you connect the phone to your camera. When you park up the system will say “RECORDING STOPPED “ and then “PARKING MODE ENABLED”.

Assuming you have downloaded the Car Eye 2 App into your phone you go into the app and it will connect the camera to your phone. You will get a message on your phone to hit “CONFIRM”settings on the phone and connect to the network that you have set up when you changed the SSID name and password. The phone finds it but it will say on the phone settings that there is “ NO INTERNET CONNECTION”. When you get connected a “GREEN” light will come on below the RED light alrady lit on the camera. Note this does not automataically download the videos to the phone. I am not really sure the value of this connection but I have noticed that after 5 minutes the GREEN light will go off. The camera is still recording and it is still connected to the Network but no longer connected to the App.

After one week of using the camera I will be going back to the BMW garage to get a couple of changes done.
1) The camera is offset to the passenger side and it needs to be moved more towards the middle of the windscreen. I can see some of the left hand pillar when I playback the video and there are also a couple of areas below the mirror which are shaded and they also block the view. I know that fitted it as per the manual instructions.
2j The rear camera is right in my rear view mirror eyeline but I am not sure they can do anything about this as it needs to be in the windscreen wiper area at the rear so may have to live with it.

Never had a dash cam before but here I think is the biggest issue. The video files are all broken up into 1 minute files so a twenty minute journey would have 20 files. Maybe this is normal but if you wanted to download the files to you phone it would take ages.

Still learning how to use it properly but I would welcome any feedback
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 03:10 PM   #22
BudgieUK
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loans1308 View Post
Folks, new to this so please bear with me.
Just got the new BMW Advanced Eye 2 camera fitted to my X3. It was done by the dealer at a cost of £475. Probably more than I wanted to pay but I am not a techy and I wanted to get all the wires hidden etc.

Big disappointment for me was that after I picked up the car I was handed a manual and advised that nobody could tell me how it works as it was so new. My cameras were the first that was fitted by this dealer.

As some people have said I had initial trouble getting it to connect to my phone.
The manual tells you to change the SSID and password to something that you will only know but this came up and I did not realise at the time. Suffice to say that after a couple of days and even to the extent that I reset the camera back to the factory settings to see if this would help I have finally managed to connect the camera to my iPhone.

Here are some pointers about this camera.

When you go into the car and switch on the ignition, the power light and RED light will come on in the camera and it will say “RECORDING STARTED”. Note it is not connected to your phone. All the recordings stay on the SIM card in the camera and you have two choices. You can remove the SD card and take it to your computer or you can download the videos to your phone if you connect the phone to your camera. When you park up the system will say “RECORDING STOPPED “ and then “PARKING MODE ENABLED”.

Assuming you have downloaded the Car Eye 2 App into your phone you go into the app and it will connect the camera to your phone. You will get a message on your phone to hit “CONFIRM”settings on the phone and connect to the network that you have set up when you changed the SSID name and password. The phone finds it but it will say on the phone settings that there is “ NO INTERNET CONNECTION”. When you get connected a “GREEN” light will come on below the RED light alrady lit on the camera. Note this does not automataically download the videos to the phone. I am not really sure the value of this connection but I have noticed that after 5 minutes the GREEN light will go off. The camera is still recording and it is still connected to the Network but no longer connected to the App.

After one week of using the camera I will be going back to the BMW garage to get a couple of changes done.
1) The camera is offset to the passenger side and it needs to be moved more towards the middle of the windscreen. I can see some of the left hand pillar when I playback the video and there are also a couple of areas below the mirror which are shaded and they also block the view. I know that fitted it as per the manual instructions.
2j The rear camera is right in my rear view mirror eyeline but I am not sure they can do anything about this as it needs to be in the windscreen wiper area at the rear so may have to live with it.

Never had a dash cam before but here I think is the biggest issue. The video files are all broken up into 1 minute files so a twenty minute journey would have 20 files. Maybe this is normal but if you wanted to download the files to you phone it would take ages.

Still learning how to use it properly but I would welcome any feedback
All dash cams break up a recording file .. usually the segments are between 1 and 3 minutes. If you want to download a range of files from the camera to your iPhone, you can select a number of files and then start the download (but it's very slow).

The thing that I have still to work out is how to get files that are now on my phone, onto my laptop. I have yet to find a way to do that, so I have asked the helpline for advice. Once I hear back, I'll update this post.
Appreciate 0