BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding On Street Parking (OSP) service

05-30-2018, 02:28 AM   #1
JohnDoe2017
Rep
Drives: BMW G31

On Street Parking (OSP) service

Does any of you out there have On Street Parking as a connected drive service

For my car it is not possible to activate in the store. Car produced in June 2017.

BMW Sweden official response is that it can only be activated for cars produced from and after July 2017 due to Hardware.

Now while this may be true if it was related to an Idrive 6.1 version or something like this I don't buy this explanation especially since it was working earlier in other markets before July 2017 production (I suppose the service worked even earlier on other models). But if it turns out somehow to be true this would be a very dumb move to not provide earlier models ability to subscribe to services.

Any ideas out there ?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 05:23 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Yes I have it. based in UK with a July 2017 build.
Not sure it's down to hardware as such , may be just firmware as coincidentlly, July builds onwards in the UK were the first to have the lane change assistant enabled. But I digress.

not aware of any hardware changes and suspect it's simply down to firmware (ISTEP levels). My guess is that it may be but BMW are only prepared to support it on builds from xx/xx onwards.

I guess you could press then and ask if its down to the level of ISTEP on teh car and if so, if you could get your car flashed to a later version. Then raises the question of the connected website though , how does it know what firmware you have on the car? Maybe it's just going by the VIN to determine whether its capable or not. Might be the easites form their point of view fo support purposes.

So my guess (and it is just a guess) is that technically it might be possible but whether BMW has the will to pursue it is another matter.

having said all that, I've not really used it on my car! You hav to zoom in very close to see.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 06:14 AM   #3
JohnDoe2017
Rep
Drives: BMW G31

Istep updated after July so I should have a suitable firmware.

Might be that the website only checks VIN as you say.

I am still under the impression that Germany at least (and US) had OSD service earlier than July 2017.

Thanks for your comments
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 06:44 AM   #4
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
I've had it in my car for the past 6 months. I'd say it's well integrated into maps but I'm not convinced it's that useful. I live in Edinburgh which is one of the first 6 cities that BMW UK offered this.

At this stage, all we get is a visual indication of parking availability via a colour coded system. Maybe in bigger cities it might be more useful to know which streets are likely to have free spaces. I know they'll be enabling parking payments via the connected drive in the future. That's when I think the whole system will become very useful. Until then I won't miss it much if I don't have it.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 03:17 PM   #5
Roxan
Rep
Drives: X5 30d + 330e

Just bought the yearly subscription for our 330e built in May 2016 as it was documented as applicable to our car.

But while I received notification that the feature was active I don’t see it anywhere in any menu. Just lost 40€
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 04:16 AM   #6
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxan View Post
Just bought the yearly subscription for our 330e built in May 2016 as it was documented as applicable to our car.

But while I received notification that the feature was active I don’t see it anywhere in any menu. Just lost 40€
It's not in any menu. Parking spaces are shown on the maps with a colour coded system.
Appreciate 0