BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Another MSS Spring Install

06-06-2022, 08:32 PM   #1
Scotty B
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 M550

Another MSS Spring Install

I posted this on the G30 FB group, but wanted to post here in case you guys aren't on there.

MSS spring update. I've put about 700 miles on em now. Dropped car about an inch in the front, 3/4 inch rear. Completely adjustable from 0-30mm. This is on an M550 with the heavier engine too. I am running DWS06+ right now and a 12/15mm spacer f/r. OEM springs really accentuated body roll of the car. These springs have almost completely eliminated body roll and keeps the car flat through curves and corners. This helps with tire loads while cornering. I feel more contact patch and can feel the tire limits easier. Previously I ran US421 and had major understeer on certain curves over 50mph due to tires on one side of the car unloading and the other side overloading. More like corners, but we will call them curves. Yesterday, I was one handing the steering wheel at 60mph around the same curves, cruising. As far as comfort, it is more comfortable in certain situations with road undulations and imperfections. Definitely stiffer on bigger bumps though due to spring rate. These have an OEM feel. Based on a stock M5 I drove, it is more comfortable and as capable. TLDR; best suspension upgrade if you don't want to spend 3-4k on coil overs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      06-08-2022, 04:46 AM   #2
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 540ix

I fitted them too on my 540ix, they greatly improved handling in most situations, with only being noticeably stiffer over speed ramps/humps.

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 08:10 PM   #3
Scotty B
Private
Rep

Looks great! I am more impressed with the kit everyday.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 08:40 PM   #4
choppedliver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550ix Pure

Great write up.

I have mine lowered a similar amount.

Only issue that has come up recently is it's a little low in some circumstances. I went up a steep ramp and over a speed hump and it bottomed out under the front seats so I had to reverse back.

Also scrapped the right hand (metallic) side dropping down (albeit slowly) a rounded driveway/curb.

Generally the car handles better and is stiffer in the corners whilst almost as comfortable as stock.

I do wonder if I should wind it back up a touch but it looks so good as it is.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 08:41 PM   #5
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty B View Post
I posted this on the G30 FB group, but wanted to post here in case you guys aren't on there.

MSS spring update. I've put about 700 miles on em now. Dropped car about an inch in the front, 3/4 inch rear. Completely adjustable from 0-30mm. This is on an M550 with the heavier engine too. I am running DWS06+ right now and a 12/15mm spacer f/r. OEM springs really accentuated body roll of the car. These springs have almost completely eliminated body roll and keeps the car flat through curves and corners. This helps with tire loads while cornering. I feel more contact patch and can feel the tire limits easier. Previously I ran US421 and had major understeer on certain curves over 50mph due to tires on one side of the car unloading and the other side overloading. More like corners, but we will call them curves. Yesterday, I was one handing the steering wheel at 60mph around the same curves, cruising. As far as comfort, it is more comfortable in certain situations with road undulations and imperfections. Definitely stiffer on bigger bumps though due to spring rate. These have an OEM feel. Based on a stock M5 I drove, it is more comfortable and as capable. TLDR; best suspension upgrade if you don't want to spend 3-4k on coil overs.
Do you think you'd have gotten those same results if you didn't lower it at all, or maybe half as much? I've been paying more attention the last few weeks and I really don't want to lower much or at all. Daily driving just needs the clearance around here or else it's one more thing I have to worry about.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 12:23 PM   #6
Scotty B
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
Do you think you'd have gotten those same results if you didn't lower it at all, or maybe half as much? I've been paying more attention the last few weeks and I really don't want to lower much or at all. Daily driving just needs the clearance around here or else it's one more thing I have to worry about.
I think the results would be very similar. Your center of gravity is only going to be a little higher. Most of the handling improvements have to do with the improved spring rates and the multiple rates involved.
Appreciate 1
NGT25706.00
      06-24-2022, 12:09 PM   #7
Couna777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80M3CX

did you have to wait long time to receive this kit?
i have ordered about 2 months ago .. still waiting ...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 06:14 PM   #8
bigscore
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW G30 540i M Sport

I had my MSS kit installed back in April and concur with your assessment.

Enjoy!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
NGT25706.00