BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications US Spec 2021 M550i BMC Filter Install

06-11-2021, 07:18 PM   #1
PsiAddict
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i 2019 C7 GS

US Spec 2021 M550i BMC Filter Install

Hey guys, just have a question for the experienced folks!...Everything went super smooth, I removed the charcoal filter (for good), then replaced the stock orange air filter with the BMC. However, the stock orange filter had this extra small felt peice that appears to more seal off a small rectangle square section in the box that appears to have a flap that would only open due to some pressure. Is this a problem with the BMC filter not having that (maybe it still sits flush) and any issues removing the charcoal filter?? Thank you in advance and have a great weekend! If pictures of the felt peice stuck to the stock filter would help, please let me know.

Last edited by PsiAddict; 06-11-2021 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 09:48 AM   #2
PsiAddict
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiAddict View Post
Hey guys, just have a question for the experienced folks!...Everything went super smooth, I removed the charcoal filter (for good), then replaced the stock orange air filter with the BMC. However, the stock orange filter had this extra small felt peice that appears to more seal off a small rectangle square section in the box that appears to have a flap that would only open due to some pressure. Is this a problem with the BMC filter not having that (maybe it still sits flush) and any issues removing the charcoal filter?? Thank you in advance and have a great weekend! If pictures of the felt peice stuck to the stock filter would help, please let me know.
I don’t have a picture, as I forgot before I put the BMC filters in and reinstalled everything etc. but here’s a similar looking flap inside an older air box. Any ideas?

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 03:22 PM   #3
Boosted_8
Captain
Rep
Drives: M550i

I think this is a snow snorkel for cold weather markets like NA and Canada most likely. I assume it would open when the lower half of the intake is clogged.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 04:19 PM   #4
PsiAddict
Private First Class
Rep

That’s what I was hoping it was for, not worried about it then. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 04:49 PM   #5
hoyas490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiAddict View Post
How did you get the filter boxes off?

I've undone all the T25 bolts and loosened the hose clamp on the rubber hosing, but can't get it off.

Do you need to undo the strut bracing? And if so, how much did you torque it down to retighten?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 05:42 AM   #6
PsiAddict
Private First Class
Rep

Yes, you must remove the metal braces but it’s super easy. They were snug but not overly tight, I just have a feel for the tightness when I remove them, then put back to similar. I’m sure you could find the exact torque spec, if you do let me know! Lol
Appreciate 0