BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Adaptive Headlights Don't Swivel Side to Side Anymore?

10-07-2021, 05:43 PM   #23
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post
This was probably my biggest (only?) disappointment coming from a 2018 540 to my 2021 M550. Hard to know what their thought process was with the LED lights. My guess is that laser lights (which I would have gotten if I could have) are not offered on the G30 in the US because they aren't fully functional here anyway. So, with component shortages, why offer them from their perspective?
No one knows why BMW isn't offering laser lights as an option on the G30 like you can in Canada and elsewhere. It is just another head scratcher on the decisions made by BMWNA.

Laser lights are offered on the 3-Series, X5, and other cars in the US. So it isn't like they aren't offering laser lights in the US at all. Unusual I'd imagine that you can get a "better" option on the 3-Series than you can on the 5-Series...
G3x LCI Laser Lights have 3 independent forward lighting elements per side which is not compliant with FMVSS 108 (maximum of 2 per side allowed).

F90 CS is the only 5er that gets them in the US due to the extremely low volume which allowed an exemption for Non-Conformity to be approved.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      10-07-2021, 10:11 PM   #24
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
G3x LCI Laser Lights have 3 independent forward lighting elements per side which is not compliant with FMVSS 108 (maximum of 2 per side allowed).

F90 CS is the only 5er that gets them in the US due to the extremely low volume which allowed an exemption for Non-Conformity to be approved.
What do you mean exactly?

The G30 has had laser lights outside the US pre-LCI and LCI. The LCI laser light has less independent lights than the pre-LCI Full Adaptive LED headlights.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 10:38 PM   #25
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

What do you mean exactly?

The G30 has had laser lights outside the US pre-LCI and LCI. The LCI laser light has less independent lights than the pre-LCI Full Adaptive LED headlights.
LCI Laser has MORE independent forward light emitting units, with the Multi-Function Laser Module housed between the inboard LED projector and cornering lamp.

Pre-LCI Laserlight is an extremely rare bird on US 5er that didn't go to Canada specifically because they didn't provide any benefit over the Icon Adaptive LED when FMVSS restrictions were applied.
Attached Images

Last edited by lemetier; 10-07-2021 at 10:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      10-08-2021, 08:04 AM   #26
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
LCI Laser has MORE independent forward light emitting units, with the Multi-Function Laser Module housed between the inboard LED projector and cornering lamp.

Pre-LCI Laserlight is an extremely rare bird on US 5er that didn't go to Canada specifically because they didn't provide any benefit over the Icon Adaptive LED when FMVSS restrictions were applied.
I doubt that matters. The Adaptive Full LED headlights from the pre-LCI had 4 independent light emitting units and Mercedes and many other cars have many more than 2.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 9.02.58 AM.jpg
Views: 1396
Size:  155.7 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 9.04.15 AM.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  134.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 09:06 AM   #27
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I doubt that matters. The Adaptive Full LED headlights from the pre-LCI had 4 independent light emitting units and Mercedes and many other cars have many more than 2.

Attachment 2714315

Attachment 2714316
Solid State Chip Sets and Light Emitting Units are not the same thing.

Pre-LCI Icon Adaptive LED and Pre-LCI Laserlight both have 2 LEU Per Side under FMVSS. That MB image you posted also only has 2.

If you really want your mind blown, this is considered 1 LEU.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      10-08-2021, 09:40 AM   #28
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:

Pre-LCI Icon Adaptive LED and Pre-LCI Laserlight both have 2 LEU Per Side under FMVSS. That MB image you posted also only has 2.

I won’t claim to understand the federal regulation here. But I am not sure how that Mercedes headlight or the one you posted could count as 1 light emitting source, but the BMW laser light as 3. Nor do I get how the pre-LCI is 2.

But BMW could have created a light that was US compatible on the LCI as they did for the 3-Series and the X5. They chose not to. Whatever their reasons.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2021, 09:53 AM   #29
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I won't claim to understand the federal regulation here. But I am not sure how that Mercedes headlight or the one you posted could count as 1 light emitting source, but the BMW laser light as 3. Nor do I get how the pre-LCI is 2.

But BMW could have created a light that was US compatible on the LCI as they did for the 3-Series and the X5. They chose not to. Whatever their reasons.
Fortunately there is someone here who does understand the regulations; myself. Like all bureaucratic issues, it's confusing at best.

BMW doesn't make the headlamps or the modular components within them. On G3x/F90 LCI, the Laser Light Module is too large to combine it within the Matrix Module. Because it is also a 4th Gen Laser Light system, the functions have been greatly expanded, requiring it's separate placement. It is no longer just a Supplemental High Beam light.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 10:10 AM   #30
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Fortunately there is someone here who does understand the regulations; myself. Like all bureaucratic issues, it's confusing at best.

BMW doesn't make the headlamps or the modular components within them. On G3x/F90 LCI, the Laser Light Module is too large to combine it within the Matrix Module. Because it is also a 4th Gen Laser Light system, the functions have been greatly expanded, requiring it's separate placement. It is no longer just a Supplemental High Beam light.
I’m even more confused now. If BMW doesn’t make the headlamps or the modular components within them who does? That’s not a trick question. I get BMW will outsource the actual manufacturing to a supplier, but BMW designs the headlight and leverages their own technology in doing so.

Just like how BMW’s Adaptive Headlight LED matrix isn’t the same as the Audi or Mercedes implementation they design the headlights they use.

BMW absolutely decided to design and use a headlamp that wouldn’t be compatible with the US market as you state. The reasons though is anyone’s guess still though. As they had BMW Laser Lights for the 5-Series pre-LCI around the world which looked like the Adaptive Full LED with the extra Laser piece. Those were not sold in the US while sold on the 3-Series and X5.

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 10:36 AM   #31
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
I'm even more confused now. If BMW doesn't make the headlamps or the modular components within them who does? That's not a trick question. I get BMW will outsource the actual manufacturing to a supplier, but BMW designs the headlight and leverages their own technology in doing so.

Just like how BMW's Adaptive Headlight LED matrix isn't the same as the Audi or Mercedes implementation they design the headlights they use.

BMW absolutely decided to design and use a headlamp that wouldn't be compatible with the US market as you state. The reasons though is anyone's guess still though. As they had BMW Laser Lights for the 5-Series pre-LCI around the world which looked like the Adaptive Full LED with the extra Laser piece. Those were not sold in the US while sold on the 3-Series and X5.

[IMG]https://static.schmiedmann.dk/Produc...270709_big.jpg[/IMG]
Hella is the supplier for the G3x/F90 LCI. The Matrix Module and Laser Module used in this application can be found in many other vehicles including models from MB and Audi. No Vehicle Manufacturer develops their own lighting components beyond the aesthetics and work with lighting suppliers to develop and incorporate components. Sometimes these agreements include time based exclusivity agreements for new technologies.

The Pre-LCI G30 M550/F90 M5 Icon with the GEN 2 Laser Light option wasn't "officially" available in the US because as I noted earlier, they didn't provide any improvement in lighting performance. TBH, they were actually worse than the regular Icon Adaptive LED. Canada had changed their regulations by this point, so the decision was made to limit them to that Market.

The other models you mention (3/4er, LCI 7er, 8er, X5/6/7) use a Gen 3 Laser system which is different than the GEN 2 Pre-LCI 5er/7er and has slightly more functionality then Gen 2, but it is still incorporated within the existing outboard Combination LEU.

Had FMVSS 108 been deregulated by Oct of last year after a decade of battle to do so, this wouldn't be an issue of discussion.
Appreciate 2
H_T152.00
      10-08-2021, 01:17 PM   #32
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Hella is the supplier for the G3x/F90 LCI. The Matrix Module and Laser Module used in this application can be found in many other vehicles including models from MB and Audi. No Vehicle Manufacturer develops their own lighting components beyond the aesthetics and work with lighting suppliers to develop and incorporate components. Sometimes these agreements include time based exclusivity agreements for new technologies.

The Pre-LCI G30 M550/F90 M5 Icon with the GEN 2 Laser Light option wasn't "officially" available in the US because as I noted earlier, they didn't provide any improvement in lighting performance. TBH, they were actually worse than the regular Icon Adaptive LED. Canada had changed their regulations by this point, so the decision was made to limit them to that Market.

The other models you mention (3/4er, LCI 7er, 8er, X5/6/7) use a Gen 3 Laser system which is different than the GEN 2 Pre-LCI 5er/7er and has slightly more functionality then Gen 2, but it is still incorporated within the existing outboard Combination LEU.

Had FMVSS 108 been deregulated by Oct of last year after a decade of battle to do so, this wouldn't be an issue of discussion.
I won't say I understand it with this level of depth. Thanks for the deeper insight.

My only point is that BMW could offer the 5-Series with Laserlight, but they've chosen to do otherwise and they have their reasons. We just have no idea what those reasons truly are.

I really would love to see our headlight regulations updated though so we could get the headlight improvements we're seeing across the world and are "decoded" on our cars. I have no idea why this is still MIA other than the government dragging their feet as usual.

Last edited by LogicalApex; 10-08-2021 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 02:17 PM   #33
kennyzm
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e xdrive touring

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I won't claim to understand the federal regulation here. But I am not sure how that Mercedes headlight or the one you posted could count as 1 light emitting source, but the BMW laser light as 3. Nor do I get how the pre-LCI is 2.

Are the g3x laser lights different from the g2x?
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2021, 04:37 PM   #34
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
My only point is that BMW could offer the 5-Series with Laserlight, but they've chosen to do otherwise and they have their reasons. We just have no idea what those reasons truly are.
No they could not. I've explained the reasons why but it's up to the reader to accept the truth. As you stated you don't understand this subject in depth, stop fabricating bullshit.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 04:38 PM   #35
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyzm View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Are the g3x laser lights different from the g2x?
Completely different in architecture, design, and functions.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 04:51 PM   #36
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
No they could not. I've explained the reasons why but it's up to the reader to accept the truth. As you stated you don't understand this subject in depth, stop fabricating bullshit.

That escalated quickly…

I am not even sure what BS you think I am fabricating. If it is my assertion that BMW chose not to offer the Laser Light option in the US because they chose not to. I can’t see how that is a fabrication of anything… No BMW supplier is dictating what parts BMW absolutely has to use in their cars.

But I guess that is BS.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 11:30 PM   #37
kennyzm
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e xdrive touring

[QUOTE=lemetier;28121371][QUOTE=kennyzm;28120834][QUOTE=lemetier;28119790][QUOTE=LogicalApex;28119737]
Quote:
Completely different in architecture, design, and functions.

The latest tech in the g3x and older tech in g2x? Claimed range of laser lights is 650 meters for the g3x and 530 meters for the g2x. (BMW.no)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 08:15 PM   #38
scsfll
SCSFLL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550I /2019 X5 Premium

Garage List
What's even sadder is corprorate states that they are not sold any more when in fact they are but with less functionality.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 07:15 PM   #39
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G03 X3

There are a few things to differentiate here…

1). The lights swivelling with the wheel, to follow corners. So, is that now gone in the LCI and does that affect all markets/countries? Yes, there are cars (other brands, usually cheaper ones) which just illuminate another light when cornering at low/city speeds- but I want the ones which follow the wheel. Is that no longer the case???

2). Different legislation. There is a decent video on WSJ or Bloomberg website - can't remember which, but it's on YouTube (for free) talking about rapid increase in headlight tech. It also details the legal/legislation rules in the US and why they have not been able to implement innovations seen in other countries.

3). The microchip shortage and companies de-speccing cars/changing their offering. A whole other game!

Personally, I want confirmation about point 1!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 09:33 PM   #40
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1gma View Post
There are a few things to differentiate here…

1). The lights swivelling with the wheel, to follow corners. So, is that now gone in the LCI and does that affect all markets/countries? Yes, there are cars (other brands, usually cheaper ones) which just illuminate another light when cornering at low/city speeds- but I want the ones which follow the wheel. Is that no longer the case???

2). Different legislation. There is a decent video on WSJ or Bloomberg website - can't remember which, but it's on YouTube (for free) talking about rapid increase in headlight tech. It also details the legal/legislation rules in the US and why they have not been able to implement innovations seen in other countries.

3). The microchip shortage and companies de-speccing cars/changing their offering. A whole other game!

Personally, I want confirmation about point 1!
On point 1:

Starting with G3x, G01/2 LCI, and coming to future models, mechanical stepper motors have been eliminated and adaptive lighting is now fully digital. The Matrix LED module provides software driven beam shaping but this is inhibited in the US (not applicable to other markets).

On models equipped with the Laser Light option, the Laser Module provides additional dynamic lighting in ALL modes; no longer just as a supplemental high beam used in previous applications.
Appreciate 2
en1gma200.00
      10-11-2021, 05:26 AM   #41
r1cero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 520d g30

Citroen introduced swiveling headligths in 1967, bmw cancelling it in 2021
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 11:46 AM   #42
MikeElmendorf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5/2024 i5 M60

Lemetier - So are you saying that, with it being fully digital, the LCI 5 series with the LED headlights could in theory be coded to be adaptive like the pre-LCI LEDs were able to be coded to have the tunneling?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 01:19 PM   #43
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post
Lemetier - So are you saying that, with it being fully digital, the LCI 5 series with the LED headlights could in theory be coded to be adaptive like the pre-LCI LEDs were able to be coded to have the tunneling?
Yes but with a couple of caveats.

After FMVSS 108 deregulation is finally published, the functions can be enabled officially from BMW via an OTA update so there is an incentive to wait for that.

The unofficial coding currently used isn't great; I call it marginal at best. Just to give one example, with HBA active, the adaptive bend lighting logic for the matrix module ceases to function. While it doesn't create an unsafe situation for other drivers, the shaded area(s) can be excessively large unless the target is directly in front of you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 01:44 PM   #44
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Here is a link to the proposed rule update to allow the technology in the US that was closed for comment in 2018 and we’re all still awaiting final rule approval. The unknown is how the rule will address cars already on the road that have the technology, but have had it turned off by the car manufacturer (probably more than half the new cars on the road). Hopefully it allows manufacturers to activate this technology in those cars as well.

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...ated-equipment
Appreciate 1