BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery I got VIN #, what does that mean ?

04-03-2019, 08:54 AM   #1
Old Boy
Oberstabsgefreiter
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i xdrive

I got VIN #, what does that mean ?

Last week my BMW Canada dealer gave me the VIN number for my M550i, and they said the car should have been completed by Mar.22, 2019. They say they expect the delivery to me to take place in the first week of May, perhaps even as early as the end of April.
Sounds to me they are just guessing.

I've got two questions:

(1) At what stage of the production of a vehicle does BMW issue the VIN number for it ?
(2) Keeping in mind that we are talking here about a car for Canada, how can one do production and shipping tracking using the VIN number, if it can be done at all ?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 09:06 AM   #2
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
not sure about Canada, but in the US you get vin number pretty early and you can put in the tracker to see car that's just in "order" status even before production start.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 10:54 AM   #3
Old Boy
Oberstabsgefreiter
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
not sure about Canada, but in the US you get vin number pretty early and you can put in the tracker to see car that's just in "order" status even before production start.
That is what I suspected.....having the VIN # may not mean the car assembly has been completed, the way my BMW dealer has suggested.

One would expect the BMW factory to allocate VIN numbers at a standard production step, regardless of what market the cars are shipped to.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 10:59 AM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

In the uk we get an order number and quoted this to the bmw 'genius' to find out the status.
This obviously works in the early stages before a vin is allocated.
Your dealer should be able to give you the order number.

I tracked my car from the genius on the bmw website chat rather than keep bothering the dealer. They will let you anybsignificant dates anyway.

This is the hardest part though the waiting for it to be built and then shipping it over. The actual build time seems to be about 3-4 days , certainly within the week.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 11:04 AM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

In the uk we get an order number and quoted this to the bmw 'genius' to find out the status.
This obviously works in the early stages before a vin is allocated.
Your dealer should be able to give you the order number.

I tracked my car from the genius on the bmw website chat rather than keep bothering the dealer. They will let you anybsignificant dates anyway.

This is the hardest part though the waiting for it to be built and then shipping it over. The actual build time seems to be about 3-4 days , certainly within the week.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #6
Old Boy
Oberstabsgefreiter
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
The way I understand it, BMW Canada has their "geniuses" dispersed amongst the existing sales staff of their dealers. In effect, I'd probably end up talking to the same sales person who has already been at a loss when it came to my vehicle status.

No matter, a couple of weeks more or less is not life threatening, the car will eventually show up.
Appreciate 0