BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Connected package renewal glitch

06-13-2023, 06:45 AM   #1
madaxeman
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530d XDRive MSport

Connected package renewal glitch

One for UK members - I received an email from BM advising me the connected package that came with my (ex demo) 5-series was expiring at the end of the month, so I clicked through to their website and paid to renew it for another 12 months.

Turned out the "renewal" 12 months started immediately, and the expiry date they had given me was a month out as well so I still had an extra month on the package to run.

End result, I've paid to have the same service twice for the past 6 weeks.

Emailing BMW I got a helpful reply of "sorry, we cant change the start date of a package you've booked".

OK, they did generously give me a months extra at the end of the package ... but it does look as if their system for "renewal" of connected drive packages isn't set up for extending the existing package - instead it's down to the customer to wait until the package expires and then renew on that date.

Seems bizarre to me ... anyone else had this ?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 07:42 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

No but I’m connected drive , it lists what subscriptions you have and when they will expire so I can only suggest to review that and make a note to renew nearer the expiry times listed next time
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 02:30 PM   #3
Spyder3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

Yes, I had the same experience last year. Definitely puts BMW ahead vs. the customer, which is unacceptable.

I was just reading an article today about how most people dislike the automotive industry approach to subscriptions.

Chalk this up to one of the reasons why. Vote with your dollars?
      06-14-2023, 06:15 AM   #4
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

I found that you cannot renew until 2 weeks before the renewal date. Otherwise I'd renew in November when there have been 20% off offers on black Friday.

However, as I have been away and returned but not needing the extension package incl rtti for a month, I have delayed renewing until then. An 8.3% saving
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 03:50 AM   #5
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

I got them to refund me and then renewed the day before it expired.

I raised a complaint with BMW UK as the email regarding the renewal doesn't specify it takes effect immediately and any normal person would assume the renewal will follow on from existing cover.

Regarding the complaint, they were completely useless and did nothing. When I chased them, they asked me to confirm what I was chasing them for.

If you are going to complain, do it on twitter as you're more likely to get a response if you do it publicly.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2023, 02:01 AM   #6
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Agreed, first tier support is pretty basic
Appreciate 0