BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Modifications Aftermarket exhaust and BMW Warranty

06-08-2020, 01:50 AM   #1
maxxvito
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M550i

Aftermarket exhaust and BMW Warranty

I'm interested in getting an Armytrix exhaust for my M550, but don't want to do it if it voids BMWs warranty on the engine/turbo. It is from my understanding that installing a new exhaust could potentially give the car a little bit more horsepower/torque. Obviously, that affects the engine. Could BMW void the warranty the covers the engine and turbo because of an aftermarket exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 02:31 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Why don't you ask them and be upfront with them and the you will know where you stand.
Get in writing if you can so should you have issues you are covered.

Better to know up front exactly where you stand.
Then you canmake an informed decision on whether you want to proceed.
That's what I would do .
Appreciate 2
      06-12-2020, 09:40 AM   #3
brokeboi
Private
Rep
Drives: F90

Aftermarket exhausts usually gives you more hp because it helps the car breathe better. It is however minimal, it's not like you end up going from M550i to M5 AC Schnitzer performance. Turbos benefit from less back pressure.
I would be more worried about voiding warranty if I was installing something more restrictive than stock. Just leave the downpipe alone and you should be good. Other than that, do what AP said about contacting the dealer just to be sure.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2020, 07:14 PM   #4
PetieD 7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 540i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxvito View Post
I'm interested in getting an Armytrix exhaust for my M550, but don't want to do it if it voids BMWs warranty on the engine/turbo. It is from my understanding that installing a new exhaust could potentially give the car a little bit more horsepower/torque. Obviously, that affects the engine. Could BMW void the warranty the covers the engine and turbo because of an aftermarket exhaust?
A small number of authorized dealerships' service departments are in the business of selling/installing limited number of aftermarket "cat-back" exhaust systems. Was informed that cat-back system should be fine with the warranty as long as catalytic converter(s) is/are not removed and/or replaced. Any aftermarket pipes "before or the replacement" of catalytic converter(s) such as downpipe or catless downpipe will likely impact/void the factory warranty.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2020, 07:30 PM   #5
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Aftermarket exhaust may provide minimal power increase. It's real benefit is sound and in some cases the look.

If the exhaust install is done correctly and the system used is proper for the car, you should be OK with warranty. No one can tell you 100%, however if BMW tried to deny a warranty claim they'd have to have good reason to do so and be able to provide evidence. The Magnuson Moss warranty act is on your side and makes it a little more difficult for bmw to simply deny warranty with no basis.

BTW, you realize that BMW makes a performance exhaust for your M550?
      06-26-2020, 02:32 PM   #6
khoa@x-ph.com
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Best answer is to speak with your SA. But I don't think an exhaust system would void your warranty unless it is the cause for any engine/turbo problems. We offer Armytrix exhaust system on our site let me know if you got any more question.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 12:56 PM   #7
dberry08
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i -> 2017 540i

I only removed my muffler on my previous 335i and they would not honor my warranty on exhaust related repairs. Ask the SA first.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 04:54 PM   #8
maxxvito
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Aftermarket exhaust may provide minimal power increase. It's real benefit is sound and in some cases the look.

If the exhaust install is done correctly and the system used is proper for the car, you should be OK with warranty. No one can tell you 100%, however if BMW tried to deny a warranty claim they'd have to have good reason to do so and be able to provide evidence. The Magnuson Moss warranty act is on your side and makes it a little more difficult for bmw to simply deny warranty with no basis.

I do, but not interested. From my research, Armytrix's exhaust sounds the best
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 08:47 AM   #9
Rotherd31
User Name
Rep
Drives: 2023 G83 BG/FR/ 963M wheels

Quote:

To my knowledge BMW only makes a G30 M Performance exhaust for the 540, not the 550. Do you have a part number?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 06:11 PM   #10
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotherd31 View Post
Quote:

To my knowledge BMW only makes a G30 M Performance exhaust for the 540, not the 550. Do you have a part number?
I didn't realize there's no "upgrade" m performance exhaust for the m550i. So, it's stock or aftermarket.
      01-21-2021, 09:04 PM   #11
Scotty B
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 M550

I feel like the stock exhaust on m550 is considered performance. It has valves and pops and crackles nicely when engine and exhaust are warmed up. I'm going to leave stock exhaust and go with an x pipe which just removes resonators.
Appreciate 0