BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 2018 Display Key addition

08-14-2018, 03:43 AM   #23
prince1566
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 530i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxJedi View Post
Hello all!

I just purchased a 2018 M550, and am interested in adding a display key (just seems cool!!!)

So far, my dealer hasn’t been able to get me an answer in over 10 days, and I’m getting a little frustrated. I asked and they gave me the “We’re not sure you can add that, but we’ll check for ya”. As it is an option while buying the vehicle, I would imagine it can be added after. As well, many have mentioned about the ordering of this key after purchase on forum’s. And I find it hard to believe the parts department can’t get this ordered ASAP, or have a definitive answer??!!

I’m in SWFLA, and would appreciate any direction/advice.

Thanks,

RxJedi

I have 2018 530i and it did not come with a display key, But i got it added by bimmertech for about $899.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 04:17 PM   #24
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Side question - if you order a M550 with remote parking (and obviously the display key), do you still also receive one or two standard keys?

For me, remote parking will be useful in a few places I frequent, but otherwise would much prefer the look/size of the normal keyfob for everyday use.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 11:04 PM   #25
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
Side question - if you order a M550 with remote parking (and obviously the display key), do you still also receive one or two standard keys?

For me, remote parking will be useful in a few places I frequent, but otherwise would much prefer the look/size of the normal keyfob for everyday use.
My wife just took delivery of her MY18 540i M Sport a few weeks ago.The car finished production in June.We ordered the display key and the car still also came with the two regular M keys.

According to Jason BMW is only giving customers one standard M key now if they order the display key for the MY19 model year.Seems like a total rip off by BMW,when customers have to pay extra for the display key.

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1505445
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 06:09 AM   #26
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
My wife just took delivery of her MY18 540i M Sport a few weeks ago.The car finished production in June.We ordered the display key and the car still also came with the two regular M keys.

According to Jason BMW is only giving customers one standard M key now if they order the display key for the MY19 model year.Seems like a total rip off by BMW,when customers have to pay extra for the display key.

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1505445
Thanks. Deleting the second M key is indeed a rip off. And it'll work, as I'll probably eventually get tired of swapping keys with my wife and buying an extra M key after all. Rrgh.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 07:16 AM   #27
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Yeh that is penny pinching, especially on a car like this.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 11:54 AM   #28
cligslayer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 330i xDrive

Quote:
Hello all,

So, after several dealers, both continental and abroad, I finally have an answer to,help,us all.

All BMW's that are comparable with the BMW app (remote lock, etc...) have the HARDWARE to work with the display key. Here is where it gets interesting.

Outside of the area controlled by BMW North America, you can purchase a Display Key after market, or considered as a retrofit. Yes, BMW offers an OEM Display Key! But, not in North America. BUT....... the cars are still programmed for it!

So, you can purchase the key from a vendor that sources the product outside BMW North America. The key will come coded for your VIN, but you still have to have the option "unlocked" in the car coding. So, you'll have to take it to an aftermarket dealer that will do the tech work for you. It takes less than 15 minutes, and is a very simple process. Apparently, BMW dealers in the US don’t want the MONEY!

Why BMW North America won't provide this as a retrofit here, when they do elsewhere is quite interesting. Why wouldn't they want the money for the key, as well as the 0.5 or 1 hour of labor in their service department to program the vehicle?

My key will be here shortly, and I'll document the process and post. I can't wait to walk into my dealer that told me "your vehicle doesn't have the correct hardware", and show them the functioning key!

Side note: the display key works with all functions except the remote parking feature. That DOES require additional hardware... but, all other functionality works...

And for all you European posters, you are correct about just going to your dealer. Us Americans are screwed!

RxJedi
Super old post, but same boat with a 2022 g20. Bimmertech appears to have stopped offering aftermarket retrofit display keys unless your car came from the factory with the option. RxJedi which place did you go with, since you've been thru the hassle and managed to get resolution?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 11:39 AM   #29
Bill BMW OR
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i

Garage List
2018 BMW M550ix  [10.00]
Quote:
Hello all,

So, after several dealers, both continental and abroad, I finally have an answer to,help,us all.

All BMW's that are comparable with the BMW app (remote lock, etc...) have the HARDWARE to work with the display key. Here is where it gets interesting.

Outside of the area controlled by BMW North America, you can purchase a Display Key after market, or considered as a retrofit. Yes, BMW offers an OEM Display Key! But, not in North America. BUT....... the cars are still programmed for it!

So, you can purchase the key from a vendor that sources the product outside BMW North America. The key will come coded for your VIN, but you still have to have the option "unlocked" in the car coding. So, you'll have to take it to an aftermarket dealer that will do the tech work for you. It takes less than 15 minutes, and is a very simple process. Apparently, BMW dealers in the US don’t want the MONEY!

Why BMW North America won't provide this as a retrofit here, when they do elsewhere is quite interesting. Why wouldn't they want the money for the key, as well as the 0.5 or 1 hour of labor in their service department to program the vehicle?

My key will be here shortly, and I'll document the process and post. I can't wait to walk into my dealer that told me "your vehicle doesn't have the correct hardware", and show them the functioning key!

Side note: the display key works with all functions except the remote parking feature. That DOES require additional hardware... but, all other functionality works...

And for all you European posters, you are correct about just going to your dealer. Us Americans are screwed!

RxJedi
Maybe the process has changed in the last year. I purchased a previously owned 2018 M550i in February last year. Remote parking option was on the car but no display key.
I went to my dealer part department who ordered a genuine BMW display key. It arrived at parts department next day. I talked to my service advisor who had service department activate the key for free while I waited. Said it was included in the price of the key. Interesting you are getting a different answer than my experience. Was told this was treated like a lost key situation.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 02:21 PM   #30
Gautam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill BMW OR View Post
Maybe the process has changed in the last year. I purchased a previously owned 2018 M550i in February last year. Remote parking option was on the car but no display key.
I went to my dealer part department who ordered a genuine BMW display key. It arrived at parts department next day. I talked to my service advisor who had service department activate the key for free while I waited. Said it was included in the price of the key. Interesting you are getting a different answer than my experience. Was told this was treated like a lost key situation.
I had this exact same experience last year.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 04:09 AM   #31
boffman
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40D, F31 330i Touring

I just bought a used g31 530i with display key and remote park. I’ve got two cars in a tight two car garage. I use remote park a lot. Also car came with two regular keys and the toy key.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 05:50 AM   #32
ivorracho
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d (G31)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Let's be honest... Display key is mostly a toy.
Exactly, it's just to impress... Unless you have remote parking, which is also to impress the ladies!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 07:51 PM   #33
Ptree1822
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 18' G30 B58

Quote:
Hello all!

I just purchased a 2018 M550, and am interested in adding a display key (just seems cool!!!)

So far, my dealer hasn’t been able to get me an answer in over 10 days, and I’m getting a little frustrated. I asked and they gave me the “We’re not sure you can add that, but we’ll check for ya”. As it is an option while buying the vehicle, I would imagine it can be added after. As well, many have mentioned about the ordering of this key after purchase on forum’s. And I find it hard to believe the parts department can’t get this ordered ASAP, or have a definitive answer??!!

I’m in SWFLA, and would appreciate any direction/advice.

Thanks,

RxJedi
whats the last 7 of your vin? need to know what options your car has. im on the east coast sfl. the key only really works with self parking. kind of a ploy. and always needs charging. more of a pain to pull out of your pocket then just walking up to the car. pay for connected drive its way cooler than the key and has more range too. you can be across country and unlock car pre condition it and more features with connected drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 07:53 PM   #34
Ptree1822
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 18' G30 B58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
I had this exact same experience last year.
nice dealership, should of been charged an hour for programing.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 08:44 PM   #35
Gautam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptree1822 View Post
whats the last 7 of your vin? need to know what options your car has. im on the east coast sfl. the key only really works with self parking. kind of a ploy. and always needs charging. more of a pain to pull out of your pocket then just walking up to the car. pay for connected drive its way cooler than the key and has more range too. you can be across country and unlock car pre condition it and more features with connected drive.
Agreed that connecteddrive is a must. Not sure if this is what you meant but comfort access works fine so the key generally stays in the pocket. Charging is not a big deal, I do so once every few weeks, and even if I forget, it continues to function as a normal key even with zero charge. But I would not bother with it without remote control parking- it adds nothing otherwise.

The dealer was supposed to charge, apparently, but they figured that out after the fact.
Appreciate 0