BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions how to get a m550 or 2018 and newer sideways

10-23-2020, 07:12 PM   #1
BimmerJ550
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M550I xdrive

Garage List
2014 Bmw 535i   [0.00]
how to get a m550 or 2018 and newer sideways

I tried to show my mom how what the different feeling was in her 18 m550 between full traction,
sport traction and dsc off. this was done in a culdesac, the first experience with getting it sideways was after launch control making a turn and scared the both of us. any recommendations on how to do this or in circles like Dinan did ?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 03:16 AM   #2
Jas387
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
The only times I’ve seen xdrive cars going sideways has been in the rain. Even in Dinan’s footage you can see the front wheels spinning and trying to pull the car straight.

I haven’t tried it in my own car (and probably never will!), but I’d expect it would be difficult to get a 4WD car properly sideways in the dry.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 03:55 AM   #3
Deathstar
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d M Sport

Is it just me who thinks that trying to get a premium marque car sideways is a stupid thing to do?
It's not an M3/4 or a RWD monster.
It's a refined luxurious vehicle.... Buy an American shed with a leaf sprung suspension, if that is what floats your boat.....

It's like, look I have managed to get my Pen15 sideways.....
Rather than, see how comfortable and refined my car is, even with all this power.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 07:11 AM   #4
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Having owned an M4, which would spin the rear wheels in 4th gear and almost any other time I didn't want it to happen, I love my M550! It just launches, and that is exactly the feeling I want. I don't want to get it sideways.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 09:57 AM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerJ550 View Post
I tried to show my mom... between full traction, sport traction and dsc off...any recommendations on how to do this or in circles like Dinan did ?
Since you didn’t describe the road surface in the cul-de-sac...like mentioned already...the ground/road surface was WET in the video?

If you really want to give your mom the knowledge & experience of what her car is capable of...I would highly suggest saving some money to send her to the BMW Performance Center in So Carolina...it would be a great Mother’s Day or birthday gift. You could go with her and make it a great parent/child event. It would be safer too...under the direction of professionals on a track designed for educating drivers.

BMW Performance Center/So Carolina location:

{note the road surface was wet in the video you posted}
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-24-2020 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 10:21 AM   #6
Jas387
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Since you didn’t describe the road surface in the cul-de-sac...like mentioned already...the ground/road surface was WET in the video?

If you really want to give your mom the knowledge & experience of what her car is capable of...I would highly suggest saving some money to send her to the BMW Performance Center in So Carolina...it would be a great Mother’s Day or birthday gift. You could go with her and make it a great parent/child event. It would be safer too...under the direction of professionals on a track designed for educating drivers.
+1

I’ve done a few track/skidpan sessions and they’re great fun as well as teaching you a lot about cars and handling.

Also - no wear and tear on your own expensive machine!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 05:11 PM   #7
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Even the yearly M Track Days, done at several tracks around the country are fantastic. Drag races, Autocross, and hot laps doing lead follow with a professional driver. I did this at COTA in Austin twice, and it was fantastic each time. Unbelievable what these cars are capable of. Hated driving home at 70 MPH.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 05:52 PM   #8
Superjackson
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M550i

Easily done with DSC off(hold traction button)
And manual mode so you don't randomly shift while sliding lol
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 07:28 PM   #9
BimmerJ550
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M550I xdrive

Garage List
2014 Bmw 535i   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerJ550 View Post
I tried to show my mom... between full traction, sport traction and dsc off...any recommendations on how to do this or in circles like Dinan did ?
Since you didn't describe the road surface in the cul-de-sac...like mentioned already...the ground/road surface was WET in the video?

If you really want to give your mom the knowledge & experience of what her car is capable of...I would highly suggest saving some money to send her to the BMW Performance Center in So Carolina...it would be a great Mother's Day or birthday gift. You could go with her and make it a great parent/child event. It would be safer too...under the direction of professionals on a track designed for educating drivers.

BMW Performance Center/So Carolina location:

{note the road surface was wet in the video you posted}
the surface was dry and she has driven at the road course here in Atlanta (but in the f30 3 series) is there a difference in course wise ?
Appreciate 0