BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions ICE run schedule for 2020 530e ?

02-16-2020, 10:39 AM   #1
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

ICE run schedule for 2020 530e ?

I traded my leased 2017 330e to purchase the 2020 530e. The 12 mi, or so, EV range for the 330e meant that I had to run the ICE occasionally and I was always sure to get the temp gauge off the peg before going back to EV. I also didn't worry a whole lot about this as it was a lease. My 2014 i3 Rex would automatically start the air cooled scooter motor range extender about once a month for what the manual called a "maintenance run". The i3 also has a small pressurized stainless steel fuel tank to keep the fuel as fresh as possible for as long as possible. I would refuel when the tank was about half-full, which ended up being about twice a year--and I tried to do this during the time when ethanol was not being blended with the gas.

After about a month with my 2020 530e and it's 22-25 mi EV range, I have yet to need the ICE engine with my all-urban driving and Level 2 charger. So, what kind of "maintenance" run should I do?

While not SS, the fuel tank is about 10 gal and is pressurized, but I'm afraid that ethanol is in our fuel all-year, now, due to Corn belt State political influence.

Should I adopt a monthly maintenance run in which I get the engine up to temp? Harder to do now, as the temp gauge has been deleted from the instrument panel. And, will a 20 min run--best I can do on a monthly basis, do more harm than good? An alternative is to wait for the 3 or 4 times a year when I make an airport run of 35 miles to do a 70 MPH blow out and let things be, otherwise.

I sent this question to the BMWCCA Roundel Tech Editor, but Mike is on sick leave for the moment. What do the members of this forum think?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 11:15 AM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

My goals are a little different from you. I like to use pure electric driving on local trips but I also like to exercise the car when I can on twisty roads and highways. So I do get the ICE used regularly.

I believe you are over thinking this one. So what if you use a little gas once a month or so. Take it out for a ride and let er rip!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 01:38 PM   #3
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
The temp gauge hasn't been totally removed. If you go into Sport Mode you'll get the Temp gauge in the instrument cluster (you may need to hit the BC button a few times if you've changed this in Sport Mode).

I don't think you need to worry about it though. The fuel in the tank should be good for a year under pressure (I believe the manual mentioned this) and the car will run the engine when needed.

That being said, I would recommend running the car exclusively in sport mode for the first 1200 miles as specified in the manual to "break the engine in". Sport Mode is the only mode the guarantee the engine stays on. Alternatively, you can take a lot of longer trips that would be at speeds sufficient enough to force the engine to run, but I don't think that's an easy option based on your driving pattern.
Appreciate 1
ted99242.00
      02-18-2020, 08:55 PM   #4
rts2101
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
That being said, I would recommend running the car exclusively in sport mode for the first 1200 miles as specified in the manual to "break the engine in". Sport Mode is the only mode the guarantee the engine stays on. Alternatively, you can take a lot of longer trips that would be at speeds sufficient enough to force the engine to run, but I don't think that's an easy option based on your driving pattern.
Yikes! I picked up my first BMW, a 2019 530e, a few months ago. I've been lurking on this site for a few months and meaning to register as a user, but this post forced my hand.

I was not made aware of the Sport mode requirement/recommendation for 1200 miles to break the engine in. I'm at about 3500 miles, and guess I have about 400-500 miles on the ICE in that time. I drive 10 miles to/from work and can and do charge in both locations.

Should I go to Sport Mode Exclusively until I feel I have the 1200 miles on the ICE?? Or is it too late for a proper break in?

Great site and members here, BTW. Was hoping to register and provide a proper introduction at some point, but this post now has me worried.

Thanks in advance!!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 09:18 PM   #5
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rts2101 View Post
Yikes! I picked up my first BMW, a 2019 530e, a few months ago. I've been lurking on this site for a few months and meaning to register as a user, but this post forced my hand.

I was not made aware of the Sport mode requirement/recommendation for 1200 miles to break the engine in. I'm at about 3500 miles, and guess I have about 400-500 miles on the ICE in that time. I drive 10 miles to/from work and can and do charge in both locations.

Should I go to Sport Mode Exclusively until I feel I have the 1200 miles on the ICE?? Or is it too late for a proper break in?

Great site and members here, BTW. Was hoping to register and provide a proper introduction at some point, but this post now has me worried.

Thanks in advance!!
If you've driven the engine conservatively in those 400 miles in line with the break in limits in the manual I think you're fine. There is the open debate on how important Break In is (some say it isn't), but since this is my first BMW I wasn't taking any chances.

I didn't need to run it in sport mode much as I did a 1K mile road trip shortly after buying the car and did a couple a few hundred miles on sport mode outside of that to finish the break in. Since the car doesn't tell you how many miles you have on ICE vs EV motor and it can switch so seamlessly I front loaded my break in so I'd have one less thing to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 09:29 PM   #6
rts2101
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

I like to think I have driven conservatively on the ICE for the most part. And the lack of ICE operation has been on my mind. In fact, every couple weekends I get out on the highway for the sole purpose of running the engine and bringing everything up to temp and burning up some gas. But I will admit that I have done some “spirited” driving here and there.

I am embarrassed to say that while I have always been a diligent manual reader all my life, I guess I didn’t read the entire manual for this car or at a minimum missed the 1200 mile break in recommendation.
Appreciate 1
ted99242.00
      02-19-2020, 10:02 AM   #7
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
you can run sports mode in break in, just don't over rev it no?

to OP, take a long trip...
Appreciate 0