BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Do you daily drive a pick-em-up truck?

04-05-2020, 12:08 PM   #1
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Do you daily drive a pick-em-up truck?

I asked because I got rid of my Hyundai Hybrid and drove my full size crew cab truck to work.

I'm getting around 20-21 MPG but now I'm saving $$$ on car payments and insurance.

When gas was $2.50/gallon, my fuel cost was $45 a week. Now it's about $27 a week with gas price of $1.50/gallon.

Granted this is not ecologically sound. But I can't deny the over all savings.

Am I being selfish and condemning the world to excess carbon dioxide emissions and elevated oil consumption?

Does this matter anymore?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 01:06 PM   #2
Captain Starbucks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

I'm going from 2 to 1 soon.

My M3 gets 17 mpg.
My F250 crew cab long box 4wd manual with 35" tires gets 21 mpg while weighing 8200 lbs.

Im selling both and getting a Tesla tri motor Truck.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 01:34 PM   #3
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Subjectively - It's cheaper for now, as you notice overall lower costs. It's also going to consume more gas and pollute more than before with the hybrid. Your maintenance will go up because of the wear and tear on the less durable machine (the truck needs more appointments). But if you save in a car payment this offsets the increased gas/service bills.

Objectively - if everyone else around continues to drives less, then the pollution and fossil fuel consumption still goes down in the aggregate even if yours individually went up.

Should there be a rebound within a year like what happened in 2008 then you'll be stuck with higher gas prices, and higher service bills, and without knowing how much your payment was you could be worse off.

If this was strictly an environmental/economic question, then your truck is worth more and you should sell that as well and instead put the funds towards an inexpensive luxury hybrid (say an off lease lexus) that gets better gas mileage and is an overall nicer ride that you can pay off faster. They also cost less to maintain due to consumables lasting longer (brakes, oil, etc.) and just being one of the least repair prone vehicles extant. That would leave you with a better environmental footprint and lowest economic footprint of all.

All in all, by lowering your personal economic burden you made a wise move.

Seth
Appreciate 1
GenXer1351.00
      04-05-2020, 01:38 PM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

This my daily! Nissan Titan longbed! After the lift and mud tires from 9 mpg I'm probably 7-8mpg lol

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
GenXer1351.00
      04-05-2020, 01:40 PM   #5
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas View Post
Subjectively - It's cheaper for now, as you notice overall lower costs. It's also going to consume more gas and pollute more than before with the hybrid. Your maintenance will go up because of the wear and tear on the less durable machine (the truck needs more appointments). But if you save in a car payment this offsets the increased gas/service bills.

Objectively - if everyone else around continues to drives less, then the pollution and fossil fuel consumption still goes down in the aggregate even if yours individually went up.

Should there be a rebound within a year like what happened in 2008 then you'll be stuck with higher gas prices, and higher service bills, and without knowing how much your payment was you could be worse off.

If this was strictly an environmental/economic question, then your truck is worth more and you should sell that as well and instead put the funds towards an inexpensive luxury hybrid (say an off lease lexus) that gets better gas mileage and is an overall nicer ride that you can pay off faster. They also cost less to maintain due to consumables lasting longer (brakes, oil, etc.) and just being one of the least repair prone vehicles extant. That would leave you with a better environmental footprint and lowest economic footprint of all.

All in all, by lowering your personal economic burden you made a wise move.

Seth
I don't think I can get rid of the truck since I have plenty of need for it e.g. camper, boat and general uses around the house - landscaping etc. I can drive the 440i to work but it doesn't get that much better mileage and is even more expensive to maintain.
Appreciate 0