BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Its goodbye

02-08-2022, 04:53 PM   #23
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balster View Post
Had a f10 then a g30 both from new with all the good options. Sold the G30 to a wonderful private buyer yesterday. Im now saying goodbye to BMW ownership, best car i have ever owned, felt like a king driving it. It was the financially responsible thing to do given the used car market at the moment.
I was going to order a new 545e but decided against it given how much the cost of everything is increasing by, running a 13 year old ford fiesta for a short while.

Ill still be lurking!
Good move.. as much as people may not realise, the world will return to normal and when it does new and used car prices will plummet. In another year or so, Covid will be just another flu that we live with. Being in automotive sales it still astounds me that people will pay ridiculous prices for cars and trucks that will return to normal.
The above is all my opinion though.
I'm kind of interested to see how some of the 2021 & 2022 cars do on the used market in 2-3 years, since many were built out without certain options, due to shortages. Applies to BMW but also pretty much all the other manufacturers.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 05:21 PM   #24
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Good move.. as much as people may not realise, the world will return to normal and when it does new and used car prices will plummet. In another year or so, Covid will be just another flu that we live with. Being in automotive sales it still astounds me that people will pay ridiculous prices for cars and trucks that will return to normal.
The above is all my opinion though.
At least here in the US, I'll bet it's another 2 years before anything close to normal returns. I pass a Nissan dealership every week; their new car section is a vacant lot. Pre-owned prices are still going up. The dealer where I just bought my 2019 540i has a lesser optioned car for $1K more. Prices on Autotrader are also increasing due to lack of inventory. A month ago when I started looking for a 2019 540i there were 75 available with less than 45K miles in the entire country! There were 122 last I checked.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 07:10 PM   #25
Sutho
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Garage List
2009 BMW 520d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
I'm kind of interested to see how some of the 2021 & 2022 cars do on the used market in 2-3 years, since many were built out without certain options, due to shortages. Applies to BMW but also pretty much all the other manufacturers.
Used vehicle prices are determined by the price of new vehicles. At the moment we have dealers with limited stock availability holding out for retail prices and getting it. In another couple of years when manufacturing has returned to some kind of normal dealers will again be discounting stock to move it. That is when you won’t want to be trying to get out of a 3 year old car. Surprisingly, new cars being sold today with guaranteed future values are more expensive than previously as manufacturers price in the drop of future vehicles in the used car market.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 08:11 PM   #26
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
Used vehicle prices are determined by the price of new vehicles. At the moment we have dealers with limited stock availability holding out for retail prices and getting it. In another couple of years when manufacturing has returned to some kind of normal dealers will again be discounting stock to move it. That is when you won’t want to be trying to get out of a 3 year old car. Surprisingly, new cars being sold today with guaranteed future values are more expensive than previously as manufacturers price in the drop of future vehicles in the used car market.
I'm kind of counting on everything you just said. I can put another 40-50k miles on the three year old car I've got now. By the time I've done that, hopefully we will be back to where you can get a deal on that car someone drive for 9 months and changed their mind. Right now those can be more expensive than the new ones sometimes!

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 1
Sutho1.50