BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Its goodbye

01-19-2022, 09:42 AM   #1
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

Its goodbye

Had a f10 then a g30 both from new with all the good options. Sold the G30 to a wonderful private buyer yesterday. Im now saying goodbye to BMW ownership, best car i have ever owned, felt like a king driving it. It was the financially responsible thing to do given the used car market at the moment.
I was going to order a new 545e but decided against it given how much the cost of everything is increasing by, running a 13 year old ford fiesta for a short while.

Ill still be lurking!

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 3
      01-19-2022, 12:37 PM   #2
H_T
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m550i

Garage List
2021 BMW m550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balster View Post
Had a f10 then a g30 both from new with all the good options. Sold the G30 to a wonderful private buyer yesterday. Im now saying goodbye to BMW ownership, best car i have ever owned, felt like a king driving it. It was the financially responsible thing to do given the used car market at the moment.
I was going to order a new 545e but decided against it given how much the cost of everything is increasing by, running a 13 year old ford fiesta for a short while.

Ill still be lurking!
I had an E60, went to a navigator to haul the kids around. I couldn't wait to switch back, now with a G30 LCI m550. I guarantee you'll be back
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 03:13 PM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:

Ill still be lurking!
Try to hang on till the parts shortage and shipping issues end so you can get what you want when you want it.
Appreciate 2
540iSUP704.00
      01-19-2022, 06:01 PM   #4
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

So what are you buying.

I’ve felt the same way but after seeing that this situation is not only a BMW problem. It’s everything.

I am buying out my lease.

Nothing else I really want to drive. Benz is worse wait and price wise. Porsche is worse all around and I did not love the Lexus product that was just slightly less $.

Infiniti is a car I’ve owned several of and I’m in no rush to go back.

So by default it’s but out my lease in June.

Don’t get me wrong I do love my car. I just like getting a new one every 36 months and I’m not getting one bc I won’t agree to getting Ripped off imho.

Quote:

Ill still be lurking!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 02:43 AM   #5
Sxs1687
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
So what are you buying.

I’ve felt the same way but after seeing that this situation is not only a BMW problem. It’s everything.

Nothing else I really want to drive. Benz is worse wait and price wise. Porsche is worse all around and I did not love the Lexus product that was just slightly less $.

Don’t get me wrong I do love my car. I just like getting a new one every 36 months and I’m not getting one bc I won’t agree to getting Ripped off imho.

Quote:

Ill still be lurking!
Quote:
So what are you buying.

Quote:

Ill still be lurking!
What's the Lexus alternative to the 5, now that they've discontinued the GS series? It can't possibly be the FWD ES, is it?...and the LS is more of a 7 series competitor. GS was the best Lexus imo, too bad it's sales kept getting crushed by the 5 series, E class, and the A6/S6 that they needed to remove it from the line up. That GS-F was pretty cool.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 04:26 AM   #6
Bob in IL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sxs1687 View Post
What's the Lexus alternative to the 5, now that they've discontinued the GS series? It can't possibly be the FWD ES, is it?...and the LS is more of a 7 series competitor. GS was the best Lexus imo, too bad it's sales kept getting crushed by the 5 series, E class, and the A6/S6 that they needed to remove it from the line up. That GS-F was pretty cool.
I don't think Lexus really has a 5 Series competitor now. The ES 350 F Sport is as close as it comes but is too big of a stretch.

Last edited by Bob in IL; 01-20-2022 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 04:54 AM   #7
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

Looked at a 2021 LS AWD sport. Not a direct equal but financially it was. Looked at it and got priced. It’s a large vehicle for me to drive daily. Went back to drive it but a few days later it was sold.

If the GS-F was priced better it would have sold well in the US.
The ES is not a 5 series competitor. It’s a nice car and I bet reliable but I don’t find it fun to drive. My mother loved hers but she was a mellow driver interested in comfort, safety and a nice interior. Worked well for her. I would be frustrated with performance.

I really liked the Audi but every time I drive one I feel like I am going to break it.
Maybe I’ll feel differently. Next week I rented an Audi sport back for my trip to Florida. My luck I’ll get the Q 50. Alamo says it’s either a A5 Sport back or a Q50.
I requested the Audi but they cannot guarantee availability.

The Benz E class is nice but feels tight on me I’m 6’3 and the E class I want is no savings at all.

This is my DD. It needs to handle 15-18k /year of highways, city and all weather. I go to work no matter the weather. Most of my miles are solo and I need top tech for making hands free calls and sending texts and email hands free. CarPlay integration for waze is a must. I need a capable reliable vehicle, that’s also able to handle 4 adults on occasion. I do lots of lunches with clients and some dinners where I’m the driver. The 540 IX M Sport has been able to handle all that and be fun to drive.

I’ll warranty it up and continue to enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sxs1687 View Post

Last edited by jsf721; 01-20-2022 at 05:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 09:31 AM   #8
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looked at a 2021 LS AWD sport. Not a direct equal but financially it was. Looked at it and got priced. It’s a large vehicle for me to drive daily. Went back to drive it but a few days later it was sold.

If the GS-F was priced better it would have sold well in the US.
The ES is not a 5 series competitor. It’s a nice car and I bet reliable but I don’t find it fun to drive. My mother loved hers but she was a mellow driver interested in comfort, safety and a nice interior. Worked well for her. I would be frustrated with performance.

I really liked the Audi but every time I drive one I feel like I am going to break it.
Maybe I’ll feel differently. Next week I rented an Audi sport back for my trip to Florida. My luck I’ll get the Q 50. Alamo says it’s either a A5 Sport back or a Q50.

The Benz E class is nice but feels tight on me I’m 6’3 and the E class I want is no savings at all.

This is my DD. It needs to handle 15-18k /year of highways, city and all weather. I go to work no matter the weather. Most of my miles are solo and I need top tech for making hands free calls and sending texts and email hands free. CarPlay integration for waze is a must. I need a capable reliable vehicle, that’s also able to handle 4 adults on occasion. I do lots of lunches with clients and some dinners where I’m the driver. The 540 IX M Sport has been able to handle all that and be fun to drive.

I’ll warranty it up and continue to enjoy it.
One way to test the Audi is to rent from "Silver Car" The car rental company is owned by Audi and only rents loaded Audis.

I agree with you on Lexus. The GS series was supposed to be a German competitor but it was never properly priced. The ES is a gussied up Toyota Avalon...perfect for your mother but not for anyone who likes to drive a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 11:44 AM   #9
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

I am flying in and out of West Palm Beach Airport and there are no silver car locations close by so that's a no go.

Will keep in mind next time I rent.

Just checked and I looks like they don't rent what I'd want to drive. RS5. S6, RS6, S7, RS7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
One way to test the Audi is to rent from "Silver Car" The car rental company is owned by Audi and only rents loaded Audis.

I agree with you on Lexus. The GS series was supposed to be a German competitor but it was never properly priced. The ES is a gussied up Toyota Avalon...perfect for your mother but not for anyone who likes to drive a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 05:48 PM   #10
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am flying in and out of West Palm Beach Airport and there are no silver car locations close by so that's a no go.

Will keep in mind next time I rent.

Just checked and I looks like they don't rent what I'd want to drive. RS5. S6, RS6, S7, RS7
I doubt you will see many of these cars at rental stores.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 06:37 PM   #11
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

Met too. Especially at a price I would pay.

I looked at Touro and they had a Lamborghini Uris for only 695 a day. That would be fun!

Quote:
I doubt you will see many of these cars at rental stores.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 10:48 PM   #12
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in IL View Post
I don't think Lexus really has a 5 Series competitor now. The ES 350 F Sport is as close as it comes but is too big of a stretch.
The ES is a FWD appliance and a gussied-up Camry.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 08:19 AM   #13
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:

Ill still be lurking!
You will be back. I don't fully understand the logic, but it seems like people are motivated to make a few bucks and give up the driving pleasure that puts a smile on my face anyway.

From a financial perspective, you really have one option, sell, drive a beater and wait for the market to correct. I bet it never will completely. You have inflation and shortages driving up the prices, inflation is not going to reverse.

I have plenty of other cars to drive that are paid for and I would not cash out on my G30 even though I can get $13,000 more now than I paid for it in April. Cars are a guilty pleasure.
Gautam613.50
I3LaZeN504.50
      01-21-2022, 09:02 AM   #14
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
The ES is a FWD appliance and a gussied-up Camry.
You are 50% in error. It is a gussied-up Avalon.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 04:54 PM   #15
zipstic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Last year I got the Audi A5 SB from Alamo and drove from Minnesota to Florida and back. This year we got an X3 since the wife wanted to haul more stuff. I preferred the A5 SB over the X3. It drove better and had a surprisingly large amount of cargo room. My one gripe with Alamo is that they disabled the Navigation in the Audi, but not in the X3. We ended up using Apple CarPlay and Android Auto which ended up working well.
      01-22-2022, 08:02 AM   #16
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipstic View Post
Last year I got the Audi A5 SB from Alamo and drove from Minnesota to Florida and back. This year we got an X3 since the wife wanted to haul more stuff. I preferred the A5 SB over the X3. It drove better and had a surprisingly large amount of cargo room. My one gripe with Alamo is that they disabled the Navigation in the Audi, but not in the X3. We ended up using Apple CarPlay and Android Auto which ended up working well.
Duh. A car drives better than an SUV. Who woulda thought? The proper comparison would be the 4 series GC against the A5 Sportback.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 12:02 PM   #17
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

Just left rental dealer. The Audi sport back that they had. Nice white one was pulled from service. I saw it but they won’t rent it. Has red sign out of service.

They let me pick anything I wanted. Was between a mustang convertible and a Volvo S60. Both under 7k. I took the Volvo bc I need to take the in-laws around.

Not bad. Not great.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 09:05 AM   #18
zipstic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Duh. A car drives better than an SUV. Who woulda thought? The proper comparison would be the 4 series GC against the A5 Sportback.
Wrong. The context is important here. Alamo doesn’t rent a 4 series GC. In their full size elite class they have an A5 SB or Q50, which would be the proper comparison in this context.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 10:34 AM   #19
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipstic View Post
Wrong. The context is important here. Alamo doesn’t rent a 4 series GC. In their full size elite class they have an A5 SB or Q50, which would be the proper comparison in this context.
I am not talking about Alamo and what it stocks. I am talking about a fair comparison of one vehicle vs. another. You compared a BMW SUV with an Audi car and determined that the car rode better. I merely pointed out that this is not a fair comparison. You were not asking what car you could rent form Alamo; you were comparing vehicles for future purchase/lease.

I am not one to blindly praise BMW, look at my historical comments. But I also don't think one should compare an SUV with a car and draw conclusions. The actual comparison would be an Audi Q5 with the BMW X3 or the comparison I drew.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 03:09 PM   #20
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

Those who are interested.
Gonna be driving OHs 2009 Ford Fiesta 1.4 🤨

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 06:10 AM   #21
G30 545e
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 545e G30

Quote:
Oooohh! That must hurt!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 03:11 PM   #22
Sutho
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Garage List
2009 BMW 520d  [0.00]
Quote:

Ill still be lurking!
Good move.. as much as people may not realise, the world will return to normal and when it does new and used car prices will plummet. In another year or so, Covid will be just another flu that we live with. Being in automotive sales it still astounds me that people will pay ridiculous prices for cars and trucks that will return to normal.
The above is all my opinion though.
Appreciate 1
NGT25611.50