BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications Catted downpipe: slightly confused about what I've read regarding mounting bracket

07-24-2023, 09:01 PM   #1
uberboosted
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i xDrive

Catted downpipe: slightly confused about what I've read regarding mounting bracket

I'm looking for a catted downpipe for my 540i. Researching the less expensive brands, specifically VRSF and CTS, I've seen comments indicating that they are missing one of the mounting brackets that is present on the stock system. I've seen Active Autowerke downpipes, which sell for about 3 times the price of the other two, suggested as a better alternative.

However, looking at vendor photos of the three systems, I don't see any real difference in the mounting brackets. But I can't be sure that these are the units specific to my application.

So, I guess what I'm asking is:

1) Is it true that the less expensive options, and VRSF and CTS specifically, do not have a mounting bracket that the stock system does?

2) If so, does it matter?

3) If so, is there an option for a quality high-flow cat that does have the preferred brackets, and preferably, is somewhere in the same price range as the VRSF and CTS ($400 - $500)?

Also, any general comments about the quality, fitment, etc. of any of these, or others, is welcome.

I plan to use the BM3 Stage 2 tune, if that's relevant information.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 05:22 AM   #2
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 540ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberboosted View Post
I'm looking for a catted downpipe for my 540i. Researching the less expensive brands, specifically VRSF and CTS, I've seen comments indicating that they are missing one of the mounting brackets that is present on the stock system. I've seen Active Autowerke downpipes, which sell for about 3 times the price of the other two, suggested as a better alternative.

However, looking at vendor photos of the three systems, I don't see any real difference in the mounting brackets. But I can't be sure that these are the units specific to my application.

1) Is it true that the less expensive options, and VRSF and CTS specifically, do not have a mounting bracket that the stock system does?

3) If so, is there an option for a quality high-flow cat that does have the preferred brackets, and preferably, is somewhere in the same price range as the VRSF and CTS ($400 - $500)?

Also, any general comments about the quality, fitment, etc. of any of these, or others, is welcome.

VRSF has the mounting bracket. i have one on mine. the early ones didnt back maybe 5 years ago but they revised their design

Without the bracket the weight of exhaust is on the downpipe to turbo connection, which could cause issues overtime there due to extra weight and stress on the turbo flange i wold imagine

You cant really put cheap and quality in the same sentence when it comes to catted downpipes, the money is in the cat cell and the materials in it are not cheap, the higher quality the cat cell the longer it will last. My VRST one lasted 3 years. it no longer passes emissions so ill change for a new one before the next emissions test
      07-25-2023, 09:38 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

1) depends on the brand. CTS does have a bracket.

2) its not a major issue in my opinion, but if you can get a brand with the bracket its a plus

3) less expensive downpipes will use cheap cats, that how they can afford to be less expensive. cheaper cats will trigger the check engine light and will not pass emission. if this is a concern, you must invest in the Active Autowerke

4) CTS is a great value item, great price, fitment, 304L stainless steel, and get the job done.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 09:56 AM   #4
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

All of our options include the mounting bracket like oem as well. It's definitely something you want as it takes the weight off the turbo.

Non catted - https://mad-us.com/mad-b58-downpipe-...chassis-supra/

Catted- https://mad-us.com/mad-b58-4.5-catte...chassis-supra/

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 02:54 PM   #5
uberboosted
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
VRSF has the mounting bracket. i have one on mine. the early ones didnt back maybe 5 years ago but they revised their design

Without the bracket the weight of exhaust is on the downpipe to turbo connection, which could cause issues overtime there due to extra weight and stress on the turbo flange i wold imagine

You cant really put cheap and quality in the same sentence when it comes to catted downpipes, the money is in the cat cell and the materials in it are not cheap, the higher quality the cat cell the longer it will last. My VRST one lasted 3 years. it no longer passes emissions so ill change for a new one before the next emissions test
Ah OK thanks, that explains a lot.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 02:56 PM   #6
uberboosted
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
1) depends on the brand. CTS does have a bracket.

2) its not a major issue in my opinion, but if you can get a brand with the bracket its a plus

3) less expensive downpipes will use cheap cats, that how they can afford to be less expensive. cheaper cats will trigger the check engine light and will not pass emission. if this is a concern, you must invest in the Active Autowerke

4) CTS is a great value item, great price, fitment, 304L stainless steel, and get the job done.
Will the BM3 tune not take care of the CEL? Or will it still be an issue?

Yeah the CTS is certainly budget-priced... I may go with this one if someone doesn't convince me otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 04:42 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

Yeah the CTS is certainly budget-priced... I may go with this one if someone doesn't convince me otherwise.
it does but you'd still fail emissions even with the code hidden

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 12:41 PM   #8
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:

I'm here to convince you otherwise. Our downpipe has a smoother transition to the factory exhaust size and ends up cheaper with our Forum discount code and free shipping
Appreciate 0