BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2020-202x Toyota Supra

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-07-2019, 02:16 PM   #969
OkieSnuffBox
Lieutenant
280
Rep
400
Posts

Drives: '13 135i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: OKC, OK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
To be fair, Toyota jacked a BMW engine...
facepalm.png

I forget that many "enthusiasts" don't understand how for-profit companies have to operate.

Sounds like the people in the stands at a football game that don't understand the game, "FIRE THE COACH! Why didn't he just throw for a touchdown there? God, he's so stupid."
Appreciate 1
See5270.00

      08-07-2019, 02:18 PM   #970
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
816
Rep
378
Posts

Drives: Miss Daisy
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
facepalm.png

I forget that many "enthusiasts" don't understand how for-profit companies have to operate.

Sounds like the people in the stands at a football game that don't understand the game, "FIRE THE COACH! Why didn't he just throw for a touchdown there? God, he's so stupid."
You are capt assumption today. Is that what people do when there is no real rebuttal? Good day
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 02:27 PM   #971
Humdizzle
Major
1336
Rep
1,306
Posts

Drives: 2010 ferrari 458
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

of course Toyota jacked a BMW engine. Just like they jacked a Subaru engine for the FRS.

What do you expect them to do... build a new engine like Nissan did for the GTR ? Build a new engine like they did for the vette? Or how about like BMW did with the S65 and S85.

The Nissan VR motor and Vette LT are built of existing designs... but Toyota could have built something off the LFA or LC 500 motor. They were just lazy.
__________________

2010 Ferrari 458
2015 Silverstone F80 6MT
2009 Honda Civic
Previous: E36 M3 | E46 M3 | R35 GTR | FR-S | F30 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 03:38 PM   #972
supra93
Major
United_States
1169
Rep
1,450
Posts

Drives: SLK, CLK, E500, Supra, RX7
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

^The 2UR is old as dirt and is most likely to be phashed out in the near future. As to why Toyota didn't just use their new V35A TT-V6, guess you can thank all the people they interviewed that said a new Supra must have a straight six.



New vid
Appreciate 1
Red Bread3559.00

      08-07-2019, 05:08 PM   #973
See5
Real Goon
See5's Avatar
United_States
270
Rep
605
Posts

Drives: Nothing
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
of course Toyota jacked a BMW engine. Just like they jacked a Subaru engine for the FRS.

What do you expect them to do... build a new engine like Nissan did for the GTR ? Build a new engine like they did for the vette? Or how about like BMW did with the S65 and S85.

The Nissan VR motor and Vette LT are built of existing designs... but Toyota could have built something off the LFA or LC 500 motor. They were just lazy.
A V8 Supra would've caused an uproar. LFA engine way too expensive.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 07:41 PM   #974
MisterF80M3
Lieutenant
MisterF80M3's Avatar
258
Rep
476
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
And they have already stated in multiple interviews, had they developed their own engine and platform, the car would have been north of $100k.

Sure, I realize there are quite a few here that can afford a $100k, or multiple used expensive cars, but Toyota is in the business of making money.

$50-55k is a lot more attainable on an upper-middle class salary than $100k+
Ricer excuses by Toyota
__________________
2018 BMW F80 ///M3
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2019, 08:07 PM   #975
super51fan
Private First Class
113
Rep
176
Posts

Drives: F10 535i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Indianapolis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
A V8 Supra would've caused an uproar. LFA engine way too expensive.
And because Toyota doesnít need a third 2UR V8 coupe
Appreciate 1
See5270.00

      08-07-2019, 08:14 PM   #976
avantegardestyle
Captain
217
Rep
822
Posts

Drives: E90 ///M3 SG
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: East Side

iTrader: (0)

Ive tried my best to like this car but i cannot
this is an absolute screw up by Toyota and BMW.

Toyota should have kept key elements of the old Supra.
this car will not age well

Also deal breaker for me that they made this a two seater. was uncomfortable but 4 seat in original Supra was more desirable.

#THUMBSDOWN!
Appreciate 4
duder13760.50
NickyC6637.50

      08-07-2019, 08:25 PM   #977
supra93
Major
United_States
1169
Rep
1,450
Posts

Drives: SLK, CLK, E500, Supra, RX7
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)



Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 08:39 PM   #978
See5
Real Goon
See5's Avatar
United_States
270
Rep
605
Posts

Drives: Nothing
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantegardestyle View Post
Ive tried my best to like this car but i cannot
this is an absolute screw up by Toyota and BMW.

Toyota should have kept key elements of the old Supra.
this car will not age well

Also deal breaker for me that they made this a two seater. was uncomfortable but 4 seat in original Supra was more desirable.

#THUMBSDOWN!
You're asking for an RCF.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2019, 08:43 PM   #979
duder13
Captain
duder13's Avatar
761
Rep
914
Posts

Drives: Cashmere
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

I wonder how many Supra fans were really into the last Z4 coupe? I feel like they're all running in circles trying to justify this thing. The way I look at it, it's a Z4 coupe with weird styling and without a manual transmission, which just isn't all that appealing to me.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2019, 08:50 PM   #980
supra93
Major
United_States
1169
Rep
1,450
Posts

Drives: SLK, CLK, E500, Supra, RX7
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
I wonder how many Supra fans were really into the last Z4 coupe? I feel like they're all running in circles trying to justify this thing. The way I look at it, it's a Z4 coupe with weird styling and without a manual transmission, which just isn't all that appealing to me.
Idk where you have been, but places like Supraforums is shitting all over this thing.
Appreciate 1
duder13760.50

      08-07-2019, 09:05 PM   #981
super51fan
Private First Class
113
Rep
176
Posts

Drives: F10 535i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Indianapolis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
I wonder how many Supra fans were really into the last Z4 coupe?
Because there is zero correlation between the E89 and the MKV in any way, shape, or form.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 10:38 PM   #982
duder13
Captain
duder13's Avatar
761
Rep
914
Posts

Drives: Cashmere
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by super51fan View Post
Because there is zero correlation between the E89 and the MKV in any way, shape, or form.
Iím talking about the E86. I wonder how Supra fans would have felt if the Mark V came out 15 years ago as the coupe form of the E85?

The new Supra is practically badge engineering.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 12:05 AM   #983
rainfall
First Lieutenant
132
Rep
383
Posts

Drives: A
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: West coast

iTrader: (0)

IDK what's so exciting about going on a drag strip with an auto transmission
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 12:26 AM   #984
2 SLOW
Private First Class
United_States
39
Rep
141
Posts

Drives: 2016 F80 M3
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfall View Post
IDK what's so exciting about going on a drag strip with an auto transmission
Winning
Appreciate 1
heavyD^21250.50

      08-08-2019, 12:39 AM   #985
hellrotm
Major General
3137
Rep
6,474
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ...Location...Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
You're asking for an RCF.
That thing is a pig. I remember the first comparison by MT when it debuted, RCF weighed in at 4,040lbs. RS5 was 13lbs lighter with a heavy awd system.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 12:49 AM   #986
hellrotm
Major General
3137
Rep
6,474
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ...Location...Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
And they have already stated in multiple interviews, had they developed their own engine and platform, the car would have been north of $100k.

Sure, I realize there are quite a few here that can afford a $100k, or multiple used expensive cars, but Toyota is in the business of making money.

$50-55k is a lot more attainable on an upper-middle class salary than $100k+
Excuses...excuses. They could have developed an engine and shared it with other platforms(like the old 1JZ and 2JZ). Spread the r&d cost. No one said it had to be Supra only.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 06:26 AM   #987
super51fan
Private First Class
113
Rep
176
Posts

Drives: F10 535i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Indianapolis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Iím talking about the E86. I wonder how Supra fans would have felt if the Mark V came out 15 years ago as the coupe form of the E85?

The new Supra is practically badge engineering.
Oh my bad.
Because there is zero correlation between the E86 and the MKV in any way, shape, or form.

The Supra and Z4 donít even drive or look remotely the same, the only reason it comes to mind it because they share platforms.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 07:49 AM   #988
OkieSnuffBox
Lieutenant
280
Rep
400
Posts

Drives: '13 135i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: OKC, OK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Excuses...excuses. They could have developed an engine and shared it with other platforms(like the old 1JZ and 2JZ). Spread the r&d cost. No one said it had to be Supra only.
What platform, exactly would they share it with?

Going to take all their 4 door cars and CUVs, build new platforms, convert them to RWD? Going to get rid of the V8 in the Tundra and LandCruiser and put a turbo I6?

Oh, maybe develop a FWD transmission and build a hopped a minivan?

You guys are great for a laugh.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1729.00

      08-08-2019, 08:58 AM   #989
heavyD^2
Major
heavyD^2's Avatar
Canada
1251
Rep
1,299
Posts

Drives: X3M Competition
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Excuses...excuses. They could have developed an engine and shared it with other platforms(like the old 1JZ and 2JZ). Spread the r&d cost. No one said it had to be Supra only.
What platforms does Toyota have that could use a longitudinal mount inline 6 turbo? I suppose they could use it in the Lexus lineup but I would guess they would have already developed an inline 6 for those cars if that was the direction they wanted to go in. I don't think people understand how risk averse Toyota is as they simply aren't going to put resources into developing a low volume seller like the Supra and truth be told they aren't very good at making cars like this anymore as you only need to look at the 4000 lb beast that is the RC F to see that they just aren't the same company that made the A80 Supra.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 09:13 AM   #990
duder13
Captain
duder13's Avatar
761
Rep
914
Posts

Drives: Cashmere
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by super51fan View Post
Oh my bad.
Because there is zero correlation between the E86 and the MKV in any way, shape, or form.

The Supra and Z4 donít even drive or look remotely the same, the only reason it comes to mind it because they share platforms.
Hardly. The Supra is simply a Z4 with a different shell and tuning.

To quote Autoblog, who tested them together, ďTheir virtual carbon-copy mechanicals are some blessing, including a chassis that Toyota says is more rigid than the Lexus LFA supercar, and the BMW-designed front MacPherson strut and rear-multi link suspension hardware. Team Supra was left to work its individual magic largely on tuning the electrically assisted steering, adaptive damping, transmission and electronic differential.Ē
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST