BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding 530E G31 HK audio upgrade

10-31-2023, 05:56 AM   #1
SoundHound75
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

530E G31 HK audio upgrade

Hello Everyone,

I own a G31 BMW from January 12, 2021, equipped with the HK audio option 688. While my past BMWs featured HK, B&O, or B&W systems, I've only truly been satisfied with the B&O. Unfortunately, B&O isn't available in the newer BMW models. I've personally found the B&W system to have a somewhat piercing sound. I'm curious about the experiences of other BMW owners with these audio systems.

I'm gearing up to upgrade my HK audio and am excited to showcase the results once it's installed.

I've purchased two Earthquake i82SWS 8-inch 2 Ohm woofers and a 2x250W RMS class D amplifier with high-level input. I'll be hooking up the battery with an 8AWG cable and a 60A fuse. The plan is to replace the standard woofers and link the woofer output from my HK amplifier to the high-level input of the Class D amplifier, ensuring the subs connect to the new amplifier.

I've encountered some conflicting information during my research, leading to a few questions:

* Is the battery located in the trunk's center? Would a 1-meter cable suffice?
* What's the recommended method for positioning and mounting my new amplifier close to the current HK amp?
* I've come across information suggesting that iDrive 7 systems have a 464 W capacity, not the 600W I expected. Does this apply to all models with the iDrive 7 system? If true, the addition of my 500W RMS amplifier will certainly boost my system, allowing the original HK amplifier to efficiently power the remaining speakers.
* Does it make sense to change the front speakers with focal ISBMW100 (or something else) or are the HK speaker good enough?

I'd appreciate any feedback on this setup.
Are there any specific aspects I should be cautious about?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by SoundHound75; 10-31-2023 at 06:18 AM..
Appreciate 0