BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches Tag Steps Up Their Game

03-01-2014, 09:14 AM   #1
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Tag Steps Up Their Game

So, I've made no secret of the fact that while I do like Tag watches and own two of them, I don't generally have much cause to recommend them. I outlined the reasons why here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...37&postcount=6 .

Now, I never had an issue with their performance or quality. It's really just a matter that they have always struck me as a horological equivalent of a modestly upscale chain restaurant. It's sort of like the difference, at least in D.C., between, say, something between the likes of the Legal Seafood and McCormick & Schmick chains and Pesce (or Kinkead's before it closed), which is an independent and very good seafood place that's been so for some 20+ years. While each restaurant does great food, Pesce offers stuff that's unique and original, rather than playing it safe and offering stuff that's sure not to push anyone's envelope. None are quite what one would find prepared on say Top Chef or Iron Chef America, but Pesce is just a touch closer because it displays freedom and innovation in its preparations.

Well, my opinion of Tag may be changing in at least one regard. It seems they are stepping up their game and I think that's a good thing. Continuing my analogy above, I'd say they are stepping into Pesce territory. You see for yourself, be you a Tag devotee or not.
So after buying the rights to other folks excellent movements -- Zenith's and Seiko's -- and riding on that for some time, Tag is finally "doin' they own thang." I realize it's just the guts, but still, that's a good start. Concurrently with putting out their own movements, it's looking like their watches are also starting to show some distinctive flair. That's wonderful too.

I think Tag is finally getting serious about being a leader in the middle market rather than just a brand that is good enough to garner a lot of mass appeal, but that otherwise was distinguished only by the fact that their products were reliable, but also reliably bland and inoffensive.

Kudos to Tag.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
rennis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70 5.0 & B5 S4

Agreed with your analogy. Tag is the PF Changs of the watch world.

(If PF Changs had been sponsoring Formula 1 for 40 years.)

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #3
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennis View Post
Agreed with your analogy. Tag is the PF Changs of the watch world.

(If PF Changs had been sponsoring Formula 1 for 40 years.)

I have no idea what a PF Chang is, but I'll take your word for it. LOL

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 07:15 AM   #4
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

It's an Asian food restraunt chain. Decent food.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
It's an Asian food restraunt chain. Decent food.
What he says Tony. Washed down Chinese food.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 12:00 AM   #6
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
i love most tag's. i don't care what anyone says. they feel damn good.
      03-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #7
bing240sx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C /// E90 M3 ESS-VT2

all Tag has to do is stop making $1000 quartz watches that go head to head with Movado or similar stuff... get rid of the 'Link', 'F1' and various other low end watches.

Make the Carrera and the Monaco the bottom of the range then start chasing Rolex Daytona subsitutes for a few years.

But then again, tag is owned by LVMH who also owns hublot and Zenith so they'll always position TAG under those two brands. hublot targets people who already have Rolexes nad Zenith targets people who either already have a bunch of Rolexes or who are thinking about a rolex but hate resale value
      03-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #8
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing240sx View Post
all Tag has to do is stop making $1000 quartz watches that go head to head with Movado or similar stuff... get rid of the 'Link', 'F1' and various other low end watches.

Make the Carrera and the Monaco the bottom of the range then start chasing Rolex Daytona subsitutes for a few years.

But then again, tag is owned by LVMH who also owns hublot and Zenith so they'll always position TAG under those two brands. hublot targets people who already have Rolexes nad Zenith targets people who either already have a bunch of Rolexes or who are thinking about a rolex but hate resale value

Okay...I'll bite. What do you see as the business case for taking that tack?

Keeping in mind that what you suggested is essentially that they gut their entire lineup, starve themselves for profits, hope and pray that folks who spend $4K - $7.5K on watches will buy them in sufficient quantities to keep the business going until Tag reaches the point some 30 years hence to finally have the money to come up with another original design.

You seem so knowledgeable about what will and won't be a good approach for Tag and its customers so I'm eager to see just how you envision your strategy playing out.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #9
bing240sx
Captain
Rep

you said they upped their game... but they still make entry level swiss watches...
i don't care about strategy or their sales and revenue and you never mentioned it in your post anyways.

with ETA cutting supply to non-Swatch Group brands + the impact of the fire at their factory last year lots of people need to find a new supply of movements.
      03-23-2014, 10:10 PM   #10
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Tag now offer watches having in-house movements whereas before they had none.

Quote:
you said they upped their game... but they still make entry level swiss watches...
i don't care about strategy or their sales and revenue and you never mentioned it in your post anyways.

with ETA cutting supply to non-Swatch Group brands + the impact of the fire at their factory last year lots of people need to find a new supply of movements.
Okay....perhaps "upping their game" was the wrong way to put it. I have to agree a clearer thread title would have been:
Tag now offer watches having in-house movements whereas before they had none.
Appreciate the "sanity check." BTW, do you like Tag watches or have any thoughts about the new in-house movements they are offering?

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 11:50 PM   #11
bing240sx
Captain
Rep

i can get behind the Carrera day/date in titanium or the Monaco Chrono...

they have a few for 30% off or more at my local TAG dealer at the mall.. that should tell you something though.

for the money you're better off with an Omega or waiting for a Rolex.
      03-24-2014, 06:47 AM   #12
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i can get behind the Carrera day/date in titanium or the Monaco Chrono...

they have a few for 30% off or more at my local TAG dealer at the mall.. that should tell you something though.

for the money you're better off with an Omega or waiting for a Rolex.
Yes, that told me several things, one of which being that there are good prices available in Canada on Tag watches.

Hard to arbitrarily say which is the better or worse chose. Many factors can be in play and they aren't necessarily the same for each consumer. For example:
  • Purchase objective
  • Collecting objective (assuming one is a collector of some stripe)
  • Aesthetic appeal
  • Technical values
  • Intangible values and expectations
  • Intended usage pattern
  • Intended usage time period
  • Objective functionality requirements
  • Servicing expectations and availability/convenience
All the best.

Appreciate 0