BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications Stage 1 BM3 on 2018 M550 - OTS or Customized Tune?

05-14-2023, 09:59 PM   #1
Bmfinn
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550xi

Stage 1 BM3 on 2018 M550 - OTS or Customized Tune?

Just curious what performance or longevity perks there might be to have a shop install and configure of a Bootmod3 tune versus an off the shelf (OTS) tune. My current setup is BMC air filters, Dinan cat back (x-pipe and axle back), and I'll be throwing in NGK 97506's at 0.022 gap. I haven't pulled the trigger on downpipes because I'm worried about Cook County Illinois emissions and untimely blowing through O2 sensors.

So, will the OTS Stage 1 tune BM3 be fine or are there optimizations someone with more experience could dail into a tune?

Thanks for reading!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 07:30 PM   #2
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmfinn View Post
So, will the OTS Stage 1 tune BM3 be fine or are there optimizations someone with more experience could dial into a tune?
I have recently been pondering the same question. I already have a BM3 Stage 1 tune on my 2020 550i, which now also has the xHP transmission tune but is otherwise completely stock. In your case it's not exactly an "either/or" choice, because custom tuners still need a platform to flash their tune and log data. So I'd go ahead and get the BM3 Stage 1 tune. You will definitely notice a difference.

As for a custom tune: From what I can tell, the BM3 Stage 1 tune is fairly tame since I've seen folks with JB4 piggybacks run faster than I do. So you might want a custom tune to get something more aggressive. Plus, every car is different so in theory a tune customized to your specific car will beat an OTS tune. Having said that, there are some drawbacks to getting a custom tune:
  1. You may have a hard time finding a tuner who specializes in tuning the N63 engine.
  2. Even if you do, I've heard that custom tuners are mostly interested in highly modified cars that make big horsepower numbers that they can advertise.
  3. If you change anything in your engine after getting a custom tune, you will need to get a new tune.
I haven't done any serious investigation yet, but if anybody else has some experience to share with custom tuning an N63 engine, please do!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 07:39 AM   #3
Bmfinn
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550xi

Thanks for the dialogue! Why'd you have to go mention xHP trans tune, that wasn't even on my radar and now I have more ways to spend money!

I'm cool with the fairly tame Stage 1 tune, this is my daily driver and I'm probably getting too old for deep highway pulls to beat the other guy with a hotter setup. At the moment I'm just looking to wake the car up just a bit more. I'll do the OTS tune and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 02:56 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

So, will the OTS Stage 1 tune BM3 be fine or are there optimizations someone with more experience could dail into a tune?

Thanks for reading!

When you say "fine," do you mean safe? If so, then yes, an Off-The-Shelf (OTS) tune is safe.

However, could you potentially achieve more power while maintaining safety with a custom tune? The answer, in most instances, is also yes.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 05:14 PM   #5
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Quote:
... Why'd you have to go mention xHP trans tune, that wasn't even on my radar and now I have more ways to spend money! ...
There is no turning back now!
Appreciate 0