BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Phantom traction control and a lease term of diminished fun. :(

09-20-2021, 11:12 PM   #1
modthispny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 540i M sport

Phantom traction control and a lease term of diminished fun. :(

I leased my 2019 M550 in late-December of 2018, and always felt like the car had some sort of delay/issue anytime I would hold it in a low gear then give it full throttle, such as M1 @ 15 mph, M2 @ 40 mph, etc. Even when I got the Dinan Elite v2 installed, I still felt delays when I would hold in a low gear then give it full throttle. Was a bit underwhelming when I would let my friends drive the car and just felt that it was not as fast as it should have been with those exact variables.

A few weeks ago I held the car in 1st at around 20 mph and when I gave it full throttle, I felt the delay but this time noticed that the TC light went on - something that never really happened in the 2+ years of the lease. A light bulb went on in my head, and I completely disabled TC. I went on a quiet street, put the car in M1 @ 15 mph, and gave it full throttle and the car accelerated like I expected a 500+ HP sedan to do.

So this whole time, even though the traction control light was not going on, the traction control was kicking in, which is why the car felt slow. With 3 months left on my lease, I now finally feel the true power of the car - even kickdowns into 2nd gear at 40 mph pull a lot harder.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 03:14 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Interesting.
I've noticed on a few occasion where I had been moving along at say 15mphs or so and I have put my foot down ( but not all the way down) that there is a delay. Not sure if that's the trans mission or not but feels like it takes about a second to respond.
That's in sportnindividual

Guess I need to try in a manual mode but I would expect the car to respond quicker than what it does.

Traction on the road is not an issue in theee circumstances
Appreciate 0