BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 530e Smells like gas in cabin when not in Max eDrive

09-13-2021, 03:49 PM   #1
MrModus
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e, 2006 325i

530e Smells like gas in cabin when not in Max eDrive

Hi There,

I recently purchased a 2018 530e with the M Sport package. I've noticed that often when I'm not running in pure electric mode I can smell a gasoline smell inside the cabin. Most often it's noticeable when I've come to a stop or completed by drive and parked it.

Has anyone experienced this before? I'm only just out of warranty I believe.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 06:39 PM   #2
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

As Max e drive also affects the air conditioning system (turns off the compressor I believe)please try switching off the aircon system button on bottom right of control panel and driving with sport mode engaged to force the engine on and see if the Gas smell goes away? Also try with recirc mode on or off.

If it does go away when aircon is off I bet you have an issue with the Aircon system taking in exhausted gasses or smells from under the hood, likely a cracked or disconnected inlet pipe or something.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 08:05 AM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnSky View Post
As Max e drive also affects the air conditioning system (turns off the compressor I believe)please try switching off the aircon system button on bottom right of control panel and driving with sport mode engaged to force the engine on and see if the Gas smell goes away? Also try with recirc mode on or off.

If it does go away when aircon is off I bet you have an issue with the Aircon system taking in exhausted gasses or smells from under the hood, likely a cracked or disconnected inlet pipe or something.
Sounds like good advice. My 2018 530e has no such smell.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 10:13 AM   #4
MrModus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnSky View Post

Hello all,

Sorry for the delay. I've been away for a bit and haven't been driving. I did as suggested and yes, I notice the smell does not happen with the aircon system off. As soon as I turn it on I get an immediate whiff of gas. I find I get it most when the engine first turns on or when it turns off, for instance at a stop light. I don't tend to notice it just during normal driving.

So assuming this is a cracked or disconnected inlet pipe, does it make sense that I'd smell gas at all? This doesn't smell like combustion smells, it smells like raw gas, which I've never smelled before under the hood of my 06 combustion engine. It smells like a gas leak. Am I maybe looking at multiple problems here?

Thanks,

Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 10:16 AM   #5
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

I suspect just a fuel leak somewhere as the air under the hood would be pulled into the aircon system and if it contains gas vapour you will get the smell.

The fact it happens in start and shutdown mainly would indicate it's drawing the fumes in when your not driving fast. Do you experience same when driving on highway?

Could also be a leaking exhaust joint or exhaust manifold letting exhaust enter the aircon system.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 12:37 PM   #6
MrModus
Rep

Yeah I don't really notice it when on the highway. It's not particularly easy to pin point exactly when I smell it. I wouldn't say a definitive no, that it doesn't happen on the highway, but just that it seems to happen more noticeably on start/stop. I've only had the car (used) for one month so it hasn't really had a whole lot of driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 01:42 PM   #7
MrModus
Rep

I just went for another drive and definitely see a difference when the aircon is in recirc mode. I don't really smell anything. When not in recirc it's much more noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 02:28 PM   #8
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
I don't smell gas in my car at all under any circumstances.

I would get it to BMW and let them sort it out. Do you still have any warranty left? I have no idea what the warranty situation is like in Canada, but in the US you would still likely be under warranty on this issue either via the Federal Emissions control or for CARB states the CARB warranty that hits for up to 15Y.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 02:49 PM   #9
MrModus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
I don't smell gas in my car at all under any circumstances.

I would get it to BMW and let them sort it out. Do you still have any warranty left? I have no idea what the warranty situation is like in Canada, but in the US you would still likely be under warranty on this issue either via the Federal Emissions control or for CARB states the CARB warranty that hits for up to 15Y.
Hi there. No, warranty expired May of this year. I don't really know anything about any other protection. I'm taking it back to the dealer to check it out. It's not a BMW dealer. I'll do that if these guys can't figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 03:13 PM   #10
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

I suspect it's just a leaky exhaust manifold or a exhaust joint under the hood that is loose.

You could remove the engine cover and manifold cover (easy) wrap the manifold with a white cloth and same at each joint in the system including turbo and start the car, give it a few good revs and then turn off before things get hot.( don't want any the cloth bursting into flames)

If any joint is leaking the white cloths will have deposits on it. Could just be a loose bolt or clamp.

I would start up front as I don't see how anything outside of under the hood could be getting pulled into the aircon system.

My only concern is your turbo could be leaking as it is receiving exhaust gasses also.

Outside of that it could be a fuel leak.

My advice is forego BMW if your out of warranty this should be an easy thing to identify for any Indy garage. Then at least you know what it is and if they can't repair it your not wasting expensive man hours at BMW identifying the issue.

See image below of exhaust manifold and turbo and the inlet charge air system they are very close.

Also the aircon system takes air from the inlet's under the windscreen I believe so if their is a fuel/exhaust leak under the hood and air is coming in through the front kidney grills it will force the fuel vapour back to the inlet grills.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-22-2021, 09:08 PM   #11
MrModus
Rep

That's great advice, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 02:58 PM   #12
MrModus
Rep

A bit of a follow up on this. Sorry it took so long.

I took it back to the used car dealer, they did diagnostics on it and ended up replacing a fuel pump gasket and bolts. It made an immediate difference, however after a few weeks I still notice some smell when I'm driving it in combustion mode. I'm going to take it back to them again and let them do additional diagnostics.

Stay tuned.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2021, 05:49 PM   #13
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Thank for the update I'd say the bolts need to be re torqued after a few weeks, probably a small fuel seep still happening.
Appreciate 0