BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Tips for maximizing mpg for the 530e

12-05-2017, 03:10 PM   #23
Chem14
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Does charging at maximum vs reduced vs low provide any benefit to range?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 05:33 PM   #24
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e X-Drive

I've heard charging under "maximum" with a standard 110v outlet at home might be a fire hazard. It's the same as running a hair dryer for a few hours straight?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 05:42 AM   #25
lnaukkar
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: G30 530e, F40 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chem14 View Post
Does charging at maximum vs reduced vs low provide any benefit to range?
No. When your car is at 100% there's absolutely no difference in how it got there.

However, you should always precondition the car, because then you waste less energy on heating/cooling after you plug it off. And doing so, if your charger can't push in as much energy as the car uses on heating/cooling, the battery won't be at 100% by the time you are driving off. So more charging power you got the better.

Ideally, you want the car cabin preconditioned and battery at 100% when you leave.
Appreciate 1
ando2000.50
      12-06-2017, 05:05 PM   #26
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnaukkar View Post
However, you should always precondition the car, because then you waste less energy on heating/cooling after you plug it off. And doing so, if your charger can't push in as much energy as the car uses on heating/cooling, the battery won't be at 100% by the time you are driving off. So more charging power you got the better.

Ideally, you want the car cabin preconditioned and battery at 100% when you leave.
Good information, the sort of preparation/use which really gets the best from electric charging. Important for those considering a hybrid, or using one to take on board.

BTW, what sort of time/consumption does the preconditioning phase take in winter time?
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2017, 12:02 AM   #27
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85, G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by phozenstone View Post
I've heard charging under "maximum" with a standard 110v outlet at home might be a fire hazard. It's the same as running a hair dryer for a few hours straight?
I haven't heard that. It's hard to imagine that BMW would allow the feature of it could result in a fire and likely home fire. I have the optional turbo charger and I do put my hand on it where it plugs in wall and it wasn't really even warm. I'm not worried about it, but will keep checking periodically. I'm going to add a 220 outdoor plug this month in preparation for the inductive charging pad that should come early 2018.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 07:33 AM   #28
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey4me View Post
I haven't heard that. It's hard to imagine that BMW would allow the feature of it could result in a fire and likely home fire. I have the optional turbo charger and I do put my hand on it where it plugs in wall and it wasn't really even warm. I'm not worried about it, but will keep checking periodically. I'm going to add a 220 outdoor plug this month in preparation for the inductive charging pad that should come early 2018.
This is what I read regarding the charge rates on the i3 which I presume is the same for the 530e:

http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1500
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 12:36 PM   #29
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
This is what I read regarding the charge rates on the i3 which I presume is the same for the 530e:

http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1500
I actually have a fridge plugged in to the circuit as well. It's 15 amp socket. I'll keep monitoring until I get the 220 set up. Thanks for the link
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #30
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I achieved 54 mpg today on 48 mile commute in Los Angeles. I noticed in bottom right corner near the battery gauge there is a number for electric miles only left so I drive in auto drive until I saw the total miles left was just a little more than all electric miles and switched to max edrive. This allowed me to let the car most efficiently handle it until the end when I took over and used up all the electric miles. I get to charge my car for free at work.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 11:29 PM   #31
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I achieved 54 mpg today on 48 mile commute in Los Angeles. I noticed in bottom right corner near the battery gauge there is a number for electric miles only left so I drive in auto drive until I saw the total miles left was just a little more than all electric miles and switched to max edrive. This allowed me to let the car most efficiently handle it until the end when I took over and used up all the electric miles. I get to charge my car for free at work.
stupid question but how do you reset or see the MPG for just the most recent trip? Do you reset it on the BC stalk?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 07:16 AM   #32
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
stupid question but how do you reset or see the MPG for just the most recent trip? Do you reset it on the BC stalk?
I'm using the BMW Connected App. It only stores the latest trip information.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 04:58 PM   #33
Ghanziang
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 3.5i Silver

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
My commute to work is mostly downhill. So I end up with pretty good MPG. US Gallons, 117.6 MPG. Unfortunately, on the way home, I have to go back up the hill. My best so far is about 40MPG, but the worst was 19.8.

G.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 05:39 AM   #34
RussH69
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e

Picking this thread up again with some observations I made recently motorway driving. So once on the motorway and driving sensibly at the top of the speed limit plus 10% NOTE that the battery is empty at this point as it has been depleted getting to the motorway out of town :

ECOPRO Mode - AUTO EDRIVE
Averaging ~46-50 MPG on the straights
When coasting though the battery does NOT charge. Only Braking.

COMFORT Mode - AUTO EDRIVE
Averaging ~44-46 MPG on the straights
When coasting though the battery DOES charge (obv u slow down quicker!). Including when braking.

ECOPRO Mode - BATTERY SAVE MODE
Averaging ~29-31 MPG on the straights.
Full Battery charge takes approx 25 miles or so?.....

My conclusion is that for long journeys you should just whack it into Auto-Edrive & ECOPRO mode and you are done. Charging before and after your trip for the ideal setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 11:31 AM   #35
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussH69 View Post
Picking this thread up again with some observations I made recently motorway driving. So once on the motorway and driving sensibly at the top of the speed limit plus 10% NOTE that the battery is empty at this point as it has been depleted getting to the motorway out of town :

ECOPRO Mode - AUTO EDRIVE
Averaging ~46-50 MPG on the straights
When coasting though the battery does NOT charge. Only Braking.

COMFORT Mode - AUTO EDRIVE
Averaging ~44-46 MPG on the straights
When coasting though the battery DOES charge (obv u slow down quicker!). Including when braking.

ECOPRO Mode - BATTERY SAVE MODE
Averaging ~29-31 MPG on the straights.
Full Battery charge takes approx 25 miles or so?.....

My conclusion is that for long journeys you should just whack it into Auto-Edrive & ECOPRO mode and you are done. Charging before and after your trip for the ideal setup.
Makes a lot of sense. Any battery charging from the ICE is a very inefficient way to charge the battery. As I see it for any long trip, you want the battery to be virtually 'flat' when you get home/to your charging point.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 06:06 AM   #36
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
How long does it take you guys to get a full charge on regular 110v home outlet? It seems like it's way more than 7 hours for me.
And what's that costing in comparison to Petrol!!!
Electric vehicles are not what they seem cost per mile.
      03-06-2018, 06:52 AM   #37
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Be interested in what you think of your car after your 80 mike drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 03:47 PM   #38
Ghanziang
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 3.5i Silver

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Is your statement about cost per mile that it is amazing at how wonderful they are? Or are you saying that when you compare cost per mile of an PHEV to a standard ICE that there is not much of a difference?

The fun part is that I don't think anyone on this forum purchased a BMW 5 Series because they wanted to save money. There are many less costly vehicles that can transport you from point a to point b for a much lower cost per mile than any BMW.

G.
Appreciate 1
ando2000.50
      03-06-2018, 04:04 PM   #39
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghanziang View Post
Is your statement about cost per mile that it is amazing at how wonderful they are? Or are you saying that when you compare cost per mile of an PHEV to a standard ICE that there is not much of a difference?

The fun part is that I don't think anyone on this forum purchased a BMW 5 Series because they wanted to save money. There are many less costly vehicles that can transport you from point a to point b for a much lower cost per mile than any BMW.

G.
So what's the big deal on MPG, lol, I Drive my M Cars for fun not MPG
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 02:12 AM   #40
planehazza
Rep
Drives: 530e

Quote:
On a give price per KWH, charging at 7 hours shouldn't cost more than what it costs us UKers on 230v to charge, as effeciency aside, you're still using the same amount of watts to charge a full battery.

It costs me £1.10 to charge from --- 0% to 100% and I can do my whole day's commute to work and back on a single charge so a full week of work commuting is £5.50.

My Skoda Octavia VRS was costing me £30 in petrol every 7-8 days; the BMW, assuming I charge it daily is costing me about £15 at most, including petrol used at weekends. Nice saving there. I'm looking forward to getting to 6 months of ownership so I have a good chunk of data to more accurately work out what I'm spending on fuel (petrol AND electric) compared to what the Skoda was costing. As long as it's less than ~£120 a month the skoda was costing, I'm happy

Quote:
So what's the big deal on MPG, lol, I Drive my M Cars for fun not MPG
True but any saving is good. Not all of my driving is fun, and because my 530e is my only car, then it's fair to say that most of my driving is in fact boring-as-fook-stuck-in-traffic driving. Why spend lots of fuel there when one can save, and that's one of the main reasons I went PHEV, and plan to go full EV in the next 5 years.

E driving is cheaper and cleaner, and potentially, faster

Last edited by planehazza; 03-07-2018 at 02:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 02:31 AM   #41
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by planehazza View Post
On a give price per KWH, charging at 7 hours shouldn't cost more than what it costs us UKers on 230v to charge, as effeciency aside, you're still using the same amount of watts to charge a full battery.

It costs me £1.10 to charge from --- 0% to 100% and I can do my whole day's commute to work and back on a single charge so a full week of work commuting is £5.50.

My Skoda Octavia VRS was costing me £30 in petrol every 7-8 days; the BMW, assuming I charge it daily is costing me about £15 at most, including petrol used at weekends. Nice saving there. I'm looking forward to getting to 6 months of ownership so I have a good chunk of data to more accurately work out what I'm spending on fuel (petrol AND electric) compared to what the Skoda was costing. As long as it's less than ~£120 a month the skoda was costing, I'm happy

True but any saving is good. Not all of my driving is fun, and because my 530e is my only car, then it's fair to say that most of my driving is in fact boring-as-fook-stuck-in-traffic driving. Why spend lots of fuel there when one can save, and that's one of the main reasons I went PHEV, and plan to go full EV in the next 5 years.

E driving is cheaper and cleaner, and potentially, faster
I go with you on your type of driving TBH, town/traffic is fecking boring and an electric car IF i had that type of driving to do would be suitable.
Driving today is fast becoming a "None Event" with speed camaras heavy traffic ect, I don't get the pleasure out of many drives that I used too.
      03-07-2018, 02:51 AM   #42
planehazza
Rep

Quote:
I go with you on your type of driving TBH, town/traffic is fecking boring and an electric car IF i had that type of driving to do would be suitable.
Driving today is fast becoming a "None Event" with speed camaras heavy traffic ect, I don't get the pleasure out of many drives that I used too.
I know mate. I don't drive like a reckless idiot, but there is definite fun to be had knocking it into Sport and M/S mode and chucking it around a few corners. Roads are too busy and potholed now, and so frankly, I'm scared to do any fun driving. It just takes one moment of being carried away. I should know; in my VXR I got a section 59 once, but I did deserve it. If I tell you I was doing speeds of 80 in a 40, you'd be "you did what?!?", but the area is empty and it was a new build with nothing around it yet. Nothing except a random police van...

Driving at those speeds are long gone now for me.

For me, the speed/power is as much of a safety thing now. The ability to over take and get away if needed is as important to the stopping power for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 02:58 AM   #43
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by planehazza View Post
I know mate. I don't drive like a reckless idiot, but there is definite fun to be had knocking it into Sport and M/S mode and chucking it around a few corners. Roads are too busy and potholed now, and so frankly, I'm scared to do any fun driving. It just takes one moment of being carried away. I should know; in my VXR I got a section 59 once, but I did deserve it. If I tell you I was doing speeds of 80 in a 40, you'd be "you did what?!?", but the area is empty and it was a new build with nothing around it yet. Nothing except a random police van...

Driving at those speeds are long gone now for me.

For me, the speed/power is as much of a safety thing now. The ability to over take and get away if needed is as important to the stopping power for me.
Know were your coming from, I have had the M5/M6/M3 down to this modified 540i M Sport, you can't stretch these cars legs anymore.
Bogey4me152.00
      03-07-2018, 03:26 AM   #44
planehazza
Rep

Quote:
Know were your coming from, I have had the M5/M6/M3 down to this modified 540i M Sport, you can't stretch these cars legs anymore.
Very nice! This 530e is the 'poshest' car I've had, and this one is a lease so not even mine

Where abouts in the UK are you? Up here in Newcastle I'm lucky that I can go to rural roads fairly easily, but even in a small city like Newcastle, the traffic is just horrific even when 'quiet'.
Appreciate 0