BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Bye Bye 5 series - after 20 years…

09-16-2021, 08:10 AM   #1
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G03 X3

A journey that started with an e39 530d back in 2001, followed by an e60 and 2x f10 is ending with my gorgeous Mediterranean Blue g30 530i

As they no longer do a 530i in the UK, and a combination of the politics here about climate change and my actual usage (mainly town driving with odd trips to family across the UK), I looked at the 530e but the loss of luggage space is a deal breaker. And the missus does not like the Touring at all…. (Or any estate car). And Yes, she does do a lot of the driving, as well!

Very surprisingly, she liked the look of the X3 they had in the showroom - go figure… Maybe as I was also looking at the Macan as well, she'd been softened up (had considered the XC60 when I got the 530i, but not a fan of the touchscreen for everything approach, nor it's high central transmission tunnel between the front seats).

The X3 was good on a test drive (the M Adaptive suspension gave a better ride with still decent handling on 21" wheels on the test car, than my 'normal' M Sport spec 530i) with quite direct steering and it was easy to place. Even with a panoramic roof, there was plenty of headroom. Only negative was the slightly dead/'woody' feeling brake pedal.

So, just pulled the trigger on a X3 30e hybrid…. Got a decent deal (used Coast2Coast as Drive the Deal did not have any BMWs and CarWow - who I sourced my current car from - weren't showing the hybrid as an option).

Surprisingly, have got a planned build slot for this November (subject to change, of course) whereas my expectation had been set for February next year.

Also some fun and games re spec and available options, due to chip shortages (e.g. no wireless phone charger) but it is what it is!

Now just have to wait…
Appreciate 1
430Scud250.00
      09-17-2021, 05:06 PM   #2
Jonny2400
Private
Rep
Drives: G30 530d X Drive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1gma View Post
A journey that started with an e39 530d back in 2001, followed by an e60 and 2x f10 is ending with my gorgeous Mediterranean Blue g30 530i

As they no longer do a 530i in the UK, and a combination of the politics here about climate change and my actual usage (mainly town driving with odd trips to family across the UK), I looked at the 530e but the loss of luggage space is a deal breaker. And the missus does not like the Touring at all…. (Or any estate car). And Yes, she does do a lot of the driving, as well!

Very surprisingly, she liked the look of the X3 they had in the showroom - go figure… Maybe as I was also looking at the Macan as well, she'd been softened up (had considered the XC60 when I got the 530i, but not a fan of the touchscreen for everything approach, nor it's high central transmission tunnel between the front seats).

The X3 was good on a test drive (the M Adaptive suspension gave a better ride with still decent handling on 21" wheels on the test car, than my 'normal' M Sport spec 530i) with quite direct steering and it was easy to place. Even with a panoramic roof, there was plenty of headroom. Only negative was the slightly dead/'woody' feeling brake pedal.

So, just pulled the trigger on a X3 30e hybrid…. Got a decent deal (used Coast2Coast as Drive the Deal did not have any BMWs and CarWow - who I sourced my current car from - weren't showing the hybrid as an option).

Surprisingly, have got a planned build slot for this November (subject to change, of course) whereas my expectation had been set for February next year.

Also some fun and games re spec and available options, due to chip shortages (e.g. no wireless phone charger) but it is what it is!

Now just have to wait…
Health to enjoy, I’ve always disliked SUVs and swore I’d never own one, but currently the X3 40d is peaking my interest, the more I see the current shape X3 on the roads, the more it appeals to me.

It’s the only car in the BMW line up, I fancy, of course I’d love a m550i but living in the UK and doing 25,000 miles a year, it would be a very stupid decision, especially looking at the latest fuel forecasts having premium unleaded breaking the £2 a litre / $11 a gallon [in the UK] by Q2 2023.

I am already spending £700 / $961 a month on diesel at 41mpg in the 530dx !!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 01:22 PM   #3
CHECKERED
ex deus machina
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30, F15, Audi S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny2400 View Post
Health to enjoy, I’ve always disliked SUVs and swore I’d never own one, but currently the X3 40d is peaking my interest, the more I see the current shape X3 on the roads, the more it appeals to me.

It’s the only car in the BMW line up, I fancy, of course I’d love a m550i but living in the UK and doing 25,000 miles a year, it would be a very stupid decision, especially looking at the latest fuel forecasts having premium unleaded breaking the £2 a litre / $11 a gallon [in the UK] by Q2 2023.

America is calling you: $3.30 per gallon here for premium 93 (98 Ron)
not VAT or sales tax (in New Hampshire)

a fully loaded M5C 122K pounds ($168K US) but only 116K in America
Gone: E92 335i N54 468rwtq
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 02:13 PM   #4
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny2400 View Post

Health to enjoy, I've always disliked SUVs and swore I'd never own one, but currently the X3 40d is peaking my interest, the more I see the current shape X3 on the roads, the more it appeals to me.

It's the only car in the BMW line up, I fancy, of course I'd love a m550i but living in the UK and doing 25,000 miles a year, it would be a very stupid decision, especially looking at the latest fuel forecasts having premium unleaded breaking the £2 a litre / $11 a gallon [in the UK] by Q2 2023.

With that kind of mileage, stick to diesel and saloons! Maybe look at a 3/4 series for next time…
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 04:06 PM   #5
FrankW1029
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 540i

X3 30e is nice. My sister bought one the same time I got my 540i earlier this year. You do need to option out some stuff to get to similar luxuries in the x3 tho. Make sure you do plug-in daily tho. The e-range is only 14miles on a full charge and can get you 17-18miles with re-gen. Charging time is 12hrs on regular outlet.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 06:17 PM   #6
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankW1029 View Post
X3 30e is nice. My sister bought one the same time I got my 540i earlier this year. You do need to option out some stuff to get to similar luxuries in the x3 tho. Make sure you do plug-in daily tho. The e-range is only 14miles on a full charge and can get you 17-18miles with re-gen. Charging time is 12hrs on regular outlet.
Thanks!

I'm looking to get a proper wall box fast charger, which should do the business in about 3 and a bit hours….

I have a small solar PV installation as well and there are a couple of domestic EV chargers that can be programmed to prioritise that over pulling charge from the grid (depending on what's on in the house!)!

Was genuinely surprised at what a nice drive the X3 was….

I just hope they are able to fulfil my spec and I don't have to lose anything else due to the chip shortage over and above what was announced at the time of the order.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2021, 06:57 PM   #7
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

I'am personally also a SUV hater, only to find myself to use it as a daily driver now. The only reason is that my company started to reject 5-series because they were considered to be too luxerious and no more matching our companies brand perception. The alternative would be a 318d, but then I still preferred a X3 2.0d. Now my wive regularly reminds me about this stupid choice and still blames me for not opting for the 318d.

The X3 is not a match for the 5-series: it has none of the composure and none of the calm of this car. In contrast, the car is always unsettled and restless while the steering has no feel at all, totally numb. Like you drive a wild pony without control. Strange since your bottom gets to feel everything and your hands feel nothing of the road. On the other hand, I would never have believed how nimble it is and how mad you can throw it in a corner without losing grip.

Nonetheless, still hate my X3 like I hated it from the first day. Bah, what a dreadful car concept!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 07:00 PM   #8
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Forgot to mention: I also never liked it from the exterior. How can somebody state that this is a good designed car? It always looked like a pure utility vehicle to me, never a luxury one.

On the other hand, just read in a German car magazine that the 3.0e is probably the best engine combo to get it in since it's frugal and dynamic!
Appreciate 0