BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW Might Build A Hybrid Hypercar To Compete with Mercedes

04-27-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
AKRAPOVICOWNS
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

BMW Might Build A Hybrid Hypercar To Compete with Mercedes

"Given the overall success of hypercars like the McLaren P1, Porsche 918, and Ferrari LaFerrari, it makes sense that other automakers want to join in on the fun. Mercedes-Benz, for examples is already preparing a $2.4-million motorsport-inspired hypercar, and now BMW is considering one as well.

According to a report from Australian website Drive, BMW is toying around with the idea of a hypercar to compete with the likes of McLaren and Mercedes-Benz. Though it remains a low priority on BMW?s list of future product, BMW M Vice President of Sales and Marketing, Peter Quintus, admitted that if produced, it would definitely have some sort of hybrid technology, and that they have the concepts ready to do it.

"The two big factors beyond that are our development capacity and also the investment required," said Quintus. "We would love to do it. Our engineers would love to do it. But there has to be the money to do it. We have concepts. If you said tomorrow, go, we know already what it would look like."

This isn't the first time BMW has toyed around with the idea of a hypercar. Along with the M1 Hommage concept pictured here, in 2015, reports suggested that the German marque was working together with McLaren in development of a hypercar with well over 750 horsepower (559 kilowatts) and a hybrid powertrain. Ultimately, those rumors turned out to be false.

For now BMW remains confident that the i8 hybrid sports car will be able to retain its role as the brand?s halo car. A roadster variant will be making its debut in 2019, bringing some added performance to go along with it. Output could be pushed to as much as 372 horsepower (277 kilowatts), along with a revised suspension that should improve handling overall."

Source: motor1

Saw that last week or something, but as no one created the thread I thought to do so.

This time around its not just a rumor, as a BMW exec actually talks about it openly.

I know its low on their priority list, but still doesnt make too much sense. If BMW sees no businesses case to make a AMG GT/ 911 competitor because it sees no market or something for it, why would they bother with a hypercar, which cleary has even less market for.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 01:18 PM   #2
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

I'll believe it when I see it.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2017, 02:07 PM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS View Post
This time around its not just a rumor, as a BMW exec actually talks about it openly.
This isn't the first time in recent history that a BMW official has said things like "We would love to" or "We've looked into it and have ideas" either though. The reason is, interviewers keep asking the question, so they have to keep answering in a positive yet noncommittal way. There's only so many ways to do that, so they keep saying the same thing.

There's still absolutely no indication that BMW will enter the supercar/hypercar market nor offer an R8 or AMG GT competitor.
Appreciate 2
      04-27-2017, 02:15 PM   #4
AKRAPOVICOWNS
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
This isn't the first time in recent history that a BMW official has said things like "We would love to" or "We've looked into it and have ideas" either though. The reason is, interviewers keep asking the question, so they have to keep answering in a positive yet noncommittal way. There's only so many ways to do that, so they keep saying the same thing.

There's still absolutely no indication that BMW will enter the supercar/hypercar market nor offer an R8 or AMG GT competitor.
Indeed we have come a long way on this topic.

I just thought that on the most part they were just rumors not based in any official indication of anything.

But i found it interesting, that if it even cross their mind of doing such a project, that a middle ground AMG GT rival might be a little bit further up in their list than this. Definitely not holding my breath though.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 03:04 PM   #5
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS View Post
Source: motor1

Saw that last week or something, but as no one created the thread I thought to do so.
From motor1.com, dated 4/21/17:

https://www.motor1.com/news/143242/b...ar-considered/

Appreciate 0