BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery 2017 540i xDrive Price Check?

02-23-2020, 01:31 PM   #1
Starbot1
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord

2017 540i xDrive Price Check?

Could I get a sanity check— dealer is asking $42,000 before fees and taxes for a CPO 540i xDrive:
-Imperial Blue
-Cognac interior
-24k miles

It has the following:

-Cold Weather Package
Heated Steering Wheel
Front and Rear Heated Seats

-Driving Assistance Package
Active Park Distance Control
Rear view camera
Head-up Display

-Premium Package
Comfort Access keyless entry
Automatic High Beams
Adaptive Full LED Lights
Wireless Charging
SiriusXM Radio

-Sport Line
18" wheel 634 w/as rft
Sport leather steering wheel
Chrome Line Exterior
Fineline Ridge Wood Trim

ADDITIONAL OPTIONS
Soft-close automatic doors
Power Rear Sunshade
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 09:16 PM   #2
mffarrell
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i Porsche 911 turbo

What was the MSRP? 6 months ago I was looking at a fully loaded 540i with a $75K MSRP with 18K miles for $47K.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 10:33 PM   #3
Starbot1
Rep

Thanks! It was $68k MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 10:46 AM   #4
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbot1 View Post
Thanks! It was $68k MSRP.
Assuming you can knock off at least $10K with various incentives and bargaining, a new one similarly equipped would then retail at $58K with a full warranty and maintenance. By my calculations that means they are giving you a discount from buying a new one of 24% which presumably covers depreciation, etc.

You don't say what year it is so I have no idea how much warranty you have left. It comes down to whether the $17K discount is worth the lack of free maintenance, how much of the OEM warranty you have left, and your comfort level at purchasing a used BMW.

Also, this forum is filled with debates about BMW seats. Before doing the deal, I would request an extended test drive (ideally overnight) so you can make sure you and any regular passengers (e.g., a significant other) are comfortable in the seats and the suspension (you apparently don't have the adaptive suspension).
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2020, 01:00 PM   #5
Starbot1
Rep

Well I truly appreciate the effort you put into replying— thanks very much. The car is a 2017.

I thought the warranty coverage was reasonable but I admit to being green behind the ears here. Essentially I have the balance of the 4yr/50k "new car warranty" (exp 4/2021). After this expires, a 1yr/unlimited miles "certified pre owned" warranty kicks in (exp 4/2022)— primary difference is no maintenance with the CPO warranty, I suppose: https://cpo.bmwusa.com/warranty/

I did rent a 2019 530i with what I think were the same seats recently for a week. I felt fairly comfortable in them.

Am I getting myself in deep with a used BMW G30, or is it kind of a crap shoot?

VS new— I'm near the top of the range I wanted to spend. Thus a new one for around 40% more doesn't seem to be as good a value. Of course if reliability problems are large...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 02:07 PM   #6
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbot1 View Post
Well I truly appreciate the effort you put into replying— thanks very much. The car is a 2017.

I thought the warranty coverage was reasonable but I admit to being green behind the ears here. Essentially I have the balance of the 4yr/50k "new car warranty" (exp 4/2021). After this expires, a 1yr/unlimited miles "certified pre owned" warranty kicks in (exp 4/2022)— primary difference is no maintenance with the CPO warranty, I suppose: https://cpo.bmwusa.com/warranty/

VS new— I'm near the top of the range I wanted to spend. Thus a new one for around 40% more doesn't seem to be as good a value. Of course if reliability problems are large...
I did rent a 2019 530i with what I think were the same seats recently for a week. I felt fairly comfortable in them.

Am I getting myself in deep with a used BMW G30, or is it kind of a crap shoot?

Well...you will be losing a couple of years of warranty coverage but $17K buys you a lot of repairs.

If the car has had its scheduled maintenance, and you do the same with it, there is no reason to believe it will not be reliable.

BUT, reliability is a statistical concept and it breaks down on single units. So you pays your money and youse takes your chances (to quote a Tammany Hall politician at the turn of the 20th century).

You will have a few years to see if it proves reliable. If it doesn't, sell it. Otherwise keep it and enjoy it.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2020, 07:45 PM   #7
ArchieV
Corporal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 540i xDrive

I've been hunting used 540i Xdrives for a while now. That spec with similar mileague usually runs in 39-44 range so you're on the higher end of average. Obviously locations plays a big part. I've noticed Northeast and Midwest tend to have the lower prices. But given it's CPO you're probably at a pretty "fair" deal. Definitely not sticking your head in the sand pricing.

Good luck on the purchase (maybe)