BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW To Start Offering Car Subscription Program

Closed Thread

01-17-2018, 05:37 PM   #45
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Not interested, so BMW don't contact me.

Enjoy ED every 3 years and PCD's. What a hassle this would be for moders, like myself, unmodding every 12 months instead of 3 years.

Doubt how I highly option and customize my BMW's would be available, as Center allocation would probably be limited- just like the bare bone packages/options on the loaner fleet vehicles.

Highly doubt there would be individual paint or interior colors available within the fleet.

I'll pass.
      01-17-2018, 05:48 PM   #46
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
I think you are all missing the point in that while the risk is spread, we all pay different rates based on our risk profiles. We don’t all pay the same amount.

we understand that you made a poor analogy and will allow you to retract it.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
At least he's B. Kuhnt and not A. Kuhnt
like this.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 05:57 PM   #47
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel_Hunden View Post
Perpetual car payments with nothing to ever show for it. Yes, a car is a depreciating asset, but in the end you do have something of value.

I'm skeptical.
This is a good topic of conversation.

I don't even look at a car lease or purchase agreement from the asset point of view, which is why I usually lease. I have only purchased two cars in my life, where I had a note and payment schedule, and I didn't make it to the end of either term before I was ready to get something different. If I could do a one year lease, that might be perfect for me.

The argument you make is a good one, but with a caveat. It's truly only beneficial to buy a vehicle if you keep it for a decent period of time after it has been paid off (and you presumably do something else with that monthly payment, like investing it somehow). Because when you trade a car in early, you get what the car is worth - whether that's based on a loan or a lease, right?
Trading is not what I'm referring to, paying the car off and keeping it long(er) term so that the money otherwise used for a car payment can be used for another purpose, investment, for example - or paying a second car off early, home improvement, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 06:02 PM   #48
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

I wonder how this impacts the price negotiations from
Customers?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 06:29 PM   #49
bjcarls
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 Tahoe, 22 R1S, 23 Z07

http://www.porschepassport.com
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2018, 06:33 PM   #50
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

New car every year with one payment insurance included? Perfect for work / daily car

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 06:35 PM   #51
LemonOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///Most Powerful Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcarls View Post
$2000 a month (Cayman, Boxster, Macan, Cayenne)
$3000 a month (+ 911 and Panamera)

$2000 a month for BMW M2, BMW 3/4, BMW M5, BMW M8, BMW X5M, BMW X6M?
Sign me up!
Appreciate 2
e92ben1050.00
PoorLurker1135.00
      01-17-2018, 08:03 PM   #52
MRCUR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Model 3 Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
Customers?
If they're going to do this like the Porsche program, I would expect there to be no negotiation involved but also not customization of the cars.

That way it's easy to market and sell. Customers know what they're going to pay and exactly what they get for it while the dealers know exactly how much $$$ they'll make on the deal.
Appreciate 2
Ibiza3480.00
      01-17-2018, 08:23 PM   #53
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox73 View Post
Hate to break this to you, but all insurance, whether it's Obamacare, regular health insurance, car insurance or home insurance works this way. We all pay into the pot and the good apples keep the bad ones afloat.
Yes all insurance works this way, but if you’re telling me that under the BMW plan, I will pay the same monthly payment as the maniac next door, I’d prefer not to participate.
You live next door to a maniac?

Just kidding. In all seriousness, my guess is the costs would be relative and variable, keeping individual profiles in mind.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 08:32 PM   #54
AndyX5d
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240 Xi

this is perfect for me, I haven't found a car yet that I wasn't done with in 10 months or less. There are just too many good cars out there to try to stay in one.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 08:38 PM   #55
Roch M4
I /// M FAN
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 SS/SO 2016 / X5M C 2023

BMW is already offering maintenance, so adding insurance is not a big deal...but how they are going to manage the differences between a good and bad driver, with frequent accidents vs none, daily driving vs track driving...anyway the only looser will be the customer...these days people will be ending by knowing only one thing to do in their life...paying
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2018, 09:37 PM   #56
XsltAnalyst
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80, 957 Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonOne View Post

Sign me up!

the membership from passportporsche seems like a posh and very expensive version of Zipcar. Now the manufacturers want to get in on the action. This concept is nothing new, I saw like hundreds of BMWs parked Frankfurt/Munich that had some sort of BMW car share stickers.

Haha for $2K/ month I should start a car sharing service too. It'll only have BMW M2/M3/M4 with manuals and only base models, you know, for weight reduction (not cost cutting). Only requirement is prepay 50 months in advance and you can keep the car at the end, free of charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch M4 View Post
BMW is already offering maintenance, so adding insurance is not a big deal...but how they are going to manage the differences between a good and bad driver, with frequent accidents vs none, daily driving vs track driving...anyway the only looser will be the customer...these days people will be ending by knowing only one thing to do in their life...paying
For this program BMW picks you, not vice versa. They'll invite or market this to those with a low insurance risk and who already change cars every year.
There will be a fine print, only 0.001 unicorn applicant's will qualify, everyone else will be denied or offered a much higher rate for this pilot program.
Appreciate 2
Roch M4424.00
      01-17-2018, 10:05 PM   #57
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbmwlife View Post
Quote:
BMW of North America CEO Bernhard Kuhnt

:
Dude as I was reading it I stopped at his name thinking to myself. That can't be right. That's not his name then loled.
At least he's B. Kuhnt and not A. Kuhnt
Hopefully his middle initial is not A. :

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 2
ORIGIN M.3159.50
JustChris17426.00
      01-18-2018, 12:07 AM   #58
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

like this.
You guys are fake news lol.
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2018, 12:37 AM   #59
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox73 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiBruin View Post
remember this includes insurance as well. I'd be interested especially if you can get a new car every 12 months.
Yeah but what about people like me who don't have high insurance costs to begin with? It sounds like ObamaCare where the healthy people subsize the sickly. I'd want to be able to opt out of that part unless they can adjust insurance based on your driving record. And don't tell me I'm paying for the convenience because I can update my insurance info in less than 10 minutes.
Hate to break this to you, but all insurance, whether it's Obamacare, regular health insurance, car insurance or home insurance works this way. We all pay into the pot and the good apples keep the bad ones afloat.
The very reason my cars are not insured in an major metropolitan city.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2018, 12:39 AM   #60
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

like this.
You guys are fake news lol.
It's real news via your bootleg channel access.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 01:06 AM   #61
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
Customers?
One size fits all.
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2018, 01:08 AM   #62
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XsltAnalyst View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonOne View Post

Sign me up!

the membership from passportporsche seems like a posh and very expensive version of Zipcar. Now the manufacturers want to get in on the action. This concept is nothing new, I saw like hundreds of BMWs parked Frankfurt/Munich that had some sort of BMW car share stickers.

Haha for $2K/ month I should start a car sharing service too. It'll only have BMW M2/M3/M4 with manuals and only base models, you know, for weight reduction (not cost cutting). Only requirement is prepay 50 months in advance and you can keep the car at the end, free of charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch M4 View Post
For this program BMW picks you, not vice versa. They'll invite or market this to those with a low insurance risk and who already change cars every year.
There will be a fine print, only 0.001 unicorn applicant's will qualify, everyone else will be denied or offered a much higher rate for this pilot program.
You have no idea what BMWFS will do so let's get real.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 04:09 AM   #63
mptpa
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/16/1...auto-show-2018

Quote:
Not to be left out by rivals, BMW and Mercedes-Benz appear to be joining the world of automotive subscription models that cover all of the fees required with car ownership or leasing under one payment.

Both BMW and Mercedes are expected to announce pilot programs for a subscription service that covers not only car payments, but maintenance and insurance, Automotive News reported on Tuesday. They would join the likes of Audi, Cadillac, and Porsche in offering customers a simplified payment structure and the flexibility to swap to a newer car sooner than a traditional lease or finance plan, or a higher-quality vehicle than a daily rental from the airport. BMW Group and Daimler, Mercedes’ parent company, already run car-sharing firms.

“We are in the phase of looking at it and evaluating together with BMW Financial Services,” BMW of North America CEO Bernhard Kuhnt told the publication this week at the Detroit Auto Show. “And if we are going to do it, we are going to pilot it first to learn more about it.”

Mercedes-Benz’s global sales chief Britta Seeger echoed Kuhnt’s feelings on the need to try it out, although that company may try it in more markets, whereas BMW plans to pick a single point. A BMW representative did not comment on the story to The Verge. A Mercedes spokesperson confirmed Seeger’s comments, but said details of a pilot program would be announced at a later date.

The biggest test for subscription-based services may come this spring when the new Volvo XC40 is offered with the company’s Care by Volvo subscription ownership service that rolls the car payment, insurance, and maintenance together, starting from $600 per month, with the ability to get a new car after 12 months. It appears the model of subscribing to a car or car service, rather than owning or leasing a car, may be attracting other automakers as they search for ways to attract new customers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/16/1...auto-show-2018

Quote:
Not to be left out by rivals, BMW and Mercedes-Benz appear to be joining the world of automotive subscription models that cover all of the fees required with car ownership or leasing under one payment.

Both BMW and Mercedes are expected to announce pilot programs for a subscription service that covers not only car payments, but maintenance and insurance, Automotive News reported on Tuesday. They would join the likes of Audi, Cadillac, and Porsche in offering customers a simplified payment structure and the flexibility to swap to a newer car sooner than a traditional lease or finance plan, or a higher-quality vehicle than a daily rental from the airport. BMW Group and Daimler, Mercedes’ parent company, already run car-sharing firms.

“We are in the phase of looking at it and evaluating together with BMW Financial Services,” BMW of North America CEO Bernhard Kuhnt told the publication this week at the Detroit Auto Show. “And if we are going to do it, we are going to pilot it first to learn more about it.”

Mercedes-Benz’s global sales chief Britta Seeger echoed Kuhnt’s feelings on the need to try it out, although that company may try it in more markets, whereas BMW plans to pick a single point. A BMW representative did not comment on the story to The Verge. A Mercedes spokesperson confirmed Seeger’s comments, but said details of a pilot program would be announced at a later date.

The biggest test for subscription-based services may come this spring when the new Volvo XC40 is offered with the company’s Care by Volvo subscription ownership service that rolls the car payment, insurance, and maintenance together, starting from $600 per month, with the ability to get a new car after 12 months. It appears the model of subscribing to a car or car service, rather than owning or leasing a car, may be attracting other automakers as they search for ways to attract new customers.

I think the concept is sound, a la cell phones. Will this 'subscription' then not show up on my credit report as a liability then? If the plan is similar in lease amount but for just 12 months, I would be all over it.

BMW FS/NA, I would be a test case if you want!!
2015 M4 (ED Aug 2014) Austin Yellow/Sakhir Orange, EXEC, DCT, LED, Driver Assist (SOLD)
2015 328GT (ED Apr 15), White, loaded (Wife's)
2012 X3 2.8, Dark Blue/Red (Wife's SOLD)
Retired: 2011 535i, ED / 2008 335is / 2006 525i ED,
2003 525i ED / 2002 Audi TT
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      01-18-2018, 05:20 AM   #64
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

The way we buying cars are changing... wife tells me it’s going to be autonomous and the cars are going to eventually drive away too.
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      01-18-2018, 06:04 AM   #65
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bt12 View Post
The way we buying cars are changing... wife tells me it’s going to be autonomous and the cars are going to eventually drive away too.
The DMV has already become become very European in the way that they're starting to build up with shops on the ground floor and apartments above with stores and restaurants just a couple steps away. You can just walk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 06:51 AM   #66
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCUR View Post
If they're going to do this like the Porsche program, I would expect there to be no negotiation involved but also not customization of the cars.

That way it's easy to market and sell. Customers know what they're going to pay and exactly what they get for it while the dealers know exactly how much $$$ they'll make on the deal.
This is not the program for the car obsessed contributors to this forum, those who carefully spec their cars and care for them like family. I wonder whether they will be like the many BMW loaner cars I've had - generally low on options, white, with beige leather and burled wood - or if BMW will make the subscription fleet a bit more special. Hopefully it is the latter, which will make for more interesting options on the CPO market.
Appreciate 1
Closed Thread