BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Gloss Black Rear Diffuser Install (G30 540i M-Sport)

09-14-2020, 04:52 PM   #1
nyu98
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Installed a gloss black rear diffuser from eBay on my 2017 Bluestone Metallic 540i M-Sport.

Install was a bit confusing at first (trying to figure out where all the tabs are- there is a lack of in-depth videos out there on the G30), but overall it was very simple. Took me 1.5 hours, but in hindsight I could've done it in under 30 min.

Diffuser is ABS plastic and cost $180 from New Jersey. Only has 4 holes for screws that come included with the diffuser. Remove 7-8 OEM screws and pull on the corners until tabs pop out, then pop in the new diffuser. Fit is 9/10, not 100% precise but nothing really noticeable.

Kick-to-open trunk function still works with this diffuser, surprisingly.

The difference between the OEM M-Sport diffuser and this gloss black aftermarket one is night and day, matches the gloss black trim around the entire car. Will be installing gloss black 540i decal as well, and considering black exhaust tips... any recommendations on the tips?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 06:16 PM   #2
KmanM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Which EBay seller?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 10:27 PM   #3
Supacat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i M-Sport

Yes who was the seller and any other install tips would be appreciated. Would love this for my 2017 Graphite Metallic 540i M-Sport!

Nice job, she looks a lot better!!!
Appreciate 2
nyu9812.00
PAL51620.50
      09-15-2020, 12:46 AM   #4
nyu98
United_States
Rep

Gloss Black Rear Diffuser Install (G30 540i M-Sport)

I've sent you a PM for the seller.

Thanks! I'm glad to hear some affirmation for my decision to buy this bad boy, would look great on a Dark Graphite Metallic!

That was actually my first-choice color for the 5er, had Mineral Gray Metallic on my 328i. BMW makes a sleek gray color, but had to settle for the Bluestone Metallic instead. I haven't seen too many Graphite Metallics, do you have any pics of yours?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 05:38 AM   #5
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Looks great! Looks so much better.

Did it come as one piece or two?

I want to do the same on mine.

Can you also PM me the seller's link please?

G30 540i xDrive / BM3 Stage 2+ / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / MPS4S / 20" BBS CI-R / Eibach Spacers / xHP Stg 3 / MST Intake / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 1
nyu9812.00
      09-15-2020, 05:43 AM   #6
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I looked at getting OEM black chrome tips for the exhaust. They are from the sport model which we don't have in the UK.

The tips are £102 each. Bit steep but still in 2 minds.

The other alternative someone recommended to me was using Foliatec Exhaust Spray Paint.

Looks easy enough to do and seems to be long lasting.

G30 540i xDrive / BM3 Stage 2+ / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / MPS4S / 20" BBS CI-R / Eibach Spacers / xHP Stg 3 / MST Intake / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 05:48 AM   #7
Jas387
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug85 View Post
I looked at getting OEM black chrome tips for the exhaust. They are from the sport model which we don't have in the UK.

The tips are £102 each. Bit steep but still in 2 minds.

The other alternative someone recommended to me was using Foliatec Exhaust Spray Paint.

Looks easy enough to do and seems to be long lasting.
I think you should be able to get black tips in the UK soon. We are awaiting delivery of an M Sport Edition 540i, and it has black exhaust tips from the factory.
Appreciate 2
Junebug851589.00
nyu9812.00
      09-15-2020, 06:12 AM   #8
KmanM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyu98 View Post

Thanks! I'm glad to hear some affirmation for my decision to buy this bad boy, would look great on a Dark Graphite Metallic!

That was actually my first-choice color for the 5er, had Mineral Gray Metallic on my 328i. BMW makes a sleek gray color, but had to settle for the Bluestone Metallic instead. I haven't seen too many Graphite Metallics, do you have any pics of yours?
I did not receive a PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 09:37 AM   #9
nyu98
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmanM3 View Post
Quote:

I did not receive a PM.
I just resent it, let me know if you don't see it
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 09:44 AM   #10
nyu98
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks! I've sent you a PM as well.

The diffuser came in one piece, in a long box. Package includes painted Tow Hole Cover and 4 screws. I have to say that the wrapping was not brilliant... a thin sheet of foam over the diffuser and covered in a thin plastic bag. It didn't sustain any damage but the box had a tear. This shouldn't deter you but just something to keep in mind about the packaging. Perhaps you can request the seller to send it in extra packaging, he is quick and responsive.
Appreciate 1
Junebug851589.00
      09-15-2020, 02:38 PM   #11
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks! I've sent you a PM as well.

The diffuser came in one piece, in a long box. Package includes painted Tow Hole Cover and 4 screws. I have to say that the wrapping was not brilliant... a thin sheet of foam over the diffuser and covered in a thin plastic bag. It didn't sustain any damage but the box had a tear. This shouldn't deter you but just something to keep in mind about the packaging. Perhaps you can request the seller to send it in extra packaging, he is quick and responsive.
Thanks alot bud

Will take a look at the link tonight

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 06:18 PM   #12
Marior20
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550

Can anyone please post the ebay seller or link? Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 10:28 PM   #13
Supacat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marior20 View Post
Can anyone please post the ebay seller or link? Thanks !
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353141638374
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 10:52 PM   #14
Supacat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks a bunch for the link and as you requested, here are some shots of mine in the Dark Graphite Metalic. I just got her coated with Kenzo Ceramic coating. I think the diffuser would look great on mine as well as its shadow-line.

Appreciate 1
nyu9812.00
      09-15-2020, 11:04 PM   #15
Marior20
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supacat View Post
Thank you!
Appreciate 1
PAL51620.50
      09-16-2020, 09:10 AM   #16
spiciercheez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '17 540 M Sport

Garage List
Looks great! I need to do this on mine for sure...thanks for sharing.

Did you have to take off the reflectors from the OEM diffuser and put them on this one? Wondering if that was a pain to do. Thanks
Appreciate 1
nyu9812.00
      09-16-2020, 12:24 PM   #17
nyu98
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supacat View Post
Quote:

Thanks a bunch for the link and as you requested, here are some shots of mine in the Dark Graphite Metalic. I just got her coated with Kenzo Ceramic coating. I think the diffuser would look great on mine as well as its shadow-line.
[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
Wow, love how aggressive the Dark Graphite is. Pairing the gloss black diffuser to match your shadowline trim will be icing on the cake. Looks like we pretty much have the same spec besides the paint.

How is the Kenzo coating? Did you get it done professionally? I've been getting quoted for Ceramic Pro and Xpel Film wraps at an installer near me, but I don't know much about Kenzo.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 12:28 PM   #18
nyu98
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiciercheez View Post

Did you have to take off the reflectors from the OEM diffuser and put them on this one? Wondering if that was a pain to do. Thanks
No problem, I hope the seller gives me a commission at this point :

Yes, just use the OEM reflectors that you have. That was actually the easiest part of the whole install. There are three squeeze tabs behind the reflector that you pop out and then simply pop back into the holes of the new diffuser. Takes about 30 seconds. It would also be a good opportunity to get smoked or painted reflectors if you're into that
Appreciate 1
Junebug851589.00
      09-16-2020, 08:56 PM   #19
spiciercheez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '17 540 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, just use the OEM reflectors that you have. That was actually the easiest part of the whole install. There are three squeeze tabs behind the reflector that you pop out and then simply pop back into the holes of the new diffuser. Takes about 30 seconds. It would also be a good opportunity to get smoked or painted reflectors if you're into that
Quote:
Quote:

Oh awesome! I wasn't sure if they were attached with adhesive and tough to get off without ruining. I actually have mine smoked now so that's why I asked. Thanks again, hope you get your commission
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 01:21 AM   #20
Supacat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, love how aggressive the Dark Graphite is. Pairing the gloss black diffuser to match your shadowline trim will be icing on the cake. Looks like we pretty much have the same spec besides the paint.

How is the Kenzo coating? Did you get it done professionally? I've been getting quoted for Ceramic Pro and Xpel Film wraps at an installer near me, but I don't know much about Kenzo.
Thanks a bunch! I did get the Kenzo installed professionally by an authorized Kenzo installer. I had Ceramic Pro on my 335i and the word was that Kenzo is even better at a 10H hardness (vs 9H) and better shine. Of course I cant comment on the hardness but so far the the reviews are stellar and its being now preferred by a lot of Ceramic Pro dealers as the one. The only poeple that usually hate on it are the ones that hate all ceramic coatings. If you have got it installed correctly it is just amazing and lasts for like 4-5 years.

If you want to check authorized Kenzo installers in your area you can check them here https://iglcoatingsusa.com/igl-approved-search/

Good luck and let me know what you decide on.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 01:27 AM   #21
Supacat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Oh and please let me know the black tips you decide on once you find em!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 04:50 AM   #22
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Just received my new Gloss Black diffuser. As it comes in 2 pieces, there are some fixings that came with it.

I think the 2 smaller pices go on the ends of the bottom piece but can't work out where the 3 taller pieces go... any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Appreciate 0