BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Question regarding options on 2021 540i Xdrive

09-17-2020, 01:54 AM   #1
Up4speed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2013 Ferrari 458  [0.00]
2015 Golf GTI  [0.00]
Question regarding options on 2021 540i Xdrive

I placed an order today on a 2021 540i Xdrive, and was hoping that some of you can help me out with some answers/opinions (I still have time to change the spec if necessary)?

I have 7 questions:

1. Can the on/off engine function be coded out with Bimmercode?
I find it extremely annoying when it kicks on when releasing the brake, I feel the bump in my butt, lol. I know I can just put it in sport mode, and it won't do this, but not sure that I always want to drive in sport mode just to avoid the engine shutting off at lights. Also, can it be coded to remember the last setting so it doesn't default back to comfort each time the car is restarted?

2. I ordered the Msport package. Does that have the buttons for adaptive, comfort, and sport? If so, do they control the behavior of the suspension or just other things, is that suspension fixed?

3. How does the Msport suspension compare to the dynamic handling package? We test drove a car with the comfort and sport buttons, and my wife got sea sick on the comfort mode. She was only liked it on the sport mode, it just felt firmer and had a more composed ride. How does the feel and performance of the Msport suspension compare to "sport" mode on the dynamic handling package suspension?

4. Does it have wireless car play, or is a cable needed?

5. If I don't get the spare tire option, is the trunk space bigger? Is there just extra storage under the floor?

6. What is the drive recorder? What does it do?

7. Does it have back up assist, or is that a feature only on the SUV models?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 02:58 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

1). Pretty sure yu can code out. someone will be able to 100% confirm that eitherway.
You mention you don't want to use sport mode to achive this as a work around, might be worth mentioning that you configure sport individual to your liking, (so everything at comfort if you desire). That way with one push of a button, you have your car configured exactly as you want along with stop/start being disabled by default. This is separate from the sport mode and sport plus. (that's what I do)

2) msport means you have a passive suspension set up, firmer than SE.
Unless you have specified VDC or adaptive drive you obviously cannto configure the suspension in any way.
The modes you refer to are for how the car is set up. With a passive suspension , there is obviously no configuration possible for the suspension. If you have VDC or adaptive drive, then those modes will also configure the suspension as well. ie in Eco pro and comfort, the suspension will be softer than in sport and sport plus.Sport individual you can specify whether you want comfort or sport suspension - again only if you have VDC or adaptive drive.
adaptive is a mode that constantly switches between whats possible for steering, suspension(if vdc or adaptive drive) , gearbox and engine depending upon how you drive. I think I'm right in saying that in adaptive mode the gearbox takes into account satnav data so it changes down as it knows there is a corner ahead etc.

3)no experience , don't know.
4) don't know
5) guessing here, but assume you just end up with a spare wheel in the existing size boot. ie less space for your luggage.
6) from what I've read. its a built in dashcam. saves recording I belive in case of an accident.
7) not sure, but possibly part of one of the packages.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 07:25 AM   #3
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
I won't claim a definitive knowledge, but I'll answer what I know.

1. The 540 in MY2021 gets the 48V Mild Hybrid setup and it feels and acts a lot like the 530e when it comes to Auto Start Stop. You don't notice it and it isn't jarring in any way. Owners here have reported as such on their MY2021 540i cars. I'd recommend peeking at a few of the impression threads to get an idea, but you'll likely ignore it and not care to try coding it off (if you even can).

2. You likely need the Dynamic Handling Package to get Adaptive Drive. But the order guide will show if you need to buy the package or not. But it won't come with the M-Sport Package on its own.

3. --

4. BMW only supports Wireless CarPlay and Wireless Android Auto.

5. Larger trunk if you skip the spare.

6. Driver recorder basically uses your car's cameras to record crash data to a USB drive as an option to not install a dash cam. From what I saw of it, better than nothing, but not better than a quality dash cam.

7. --
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 11:12 AM   #4
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5d 2021 Tesla S

On the trunk space with no spare tire, is there more storage under the carpet area? Just curious, as it does not lift up easily and was not sure what was under that.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 03:34 PM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

No. Unlike the f10, there isn't.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 08:45 PM   #6
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540i

On the topic of space saver spare:

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1570226

If you don't get the donut option the floor is fixed, you cannot lift it.
      09-17-2020, 10:37 PM   #7
Up4speed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2013 Ferrari 458  [0.00]
2015 Golf GTI  [0.00]
Thanks guys!
The info is very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 08:35 AM   #8
TomWinMD
Tom W
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 (G30) 550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up4speed View Post
I placed an order today on a 2021 540i Xdrive, and was hoping that some of you can help me out with some answers/opinions (I still have time to change the spec if necessary)?

I have 7 questions:

1. Can the on/off engine function be coded out with Bimmercode?
I find it extremely annoying when it kicks on when releasing the brake, I feel the bump in my butt, lol. I know I can just put it in sport mode, and it won't do this, but not sure that I always want to drive in sport mode just to avoid the engine shutting off at lights. Also, can it be coded to remember the last setting so it doesn't default back to comfort each time the car is restarted?

2. I ordered the Msport package. Does that have the buttons for adaptive, comfort, and sport? If so, do they control the behavior of the suspension or just other things, is that suspension fixed?

3. How does the Msport suspension compare to the dynamic handling package? We test drove a car with the comfort and sport buttons, and my wife got sea sick on the comfort mode. She was only liked it on the sport mode, it just felt firmer and had a more composed ride. How does the feel and performance of the Msport suspension compare to "sport" mode on the dynamic handling package suspension?

4. Does it have wireless car play, or is a cable needed?

5. If I don't get the spare tire option, is the trunk space bigger? Is there just extra storage under the floor?

6. What is the drive recorder? What does it do?

7. Does it have back up assist, or is that a feature only on the SUV models?

Thanks in advance!
I can offer you this on the drive recorder from my experience with my 2021 M550. You can manually engage the recorder (and I'd agree that it isn't better than an independent dash cam), it will record for 40 seconds (the 20 prior to either a manual record or an incident triggered (i.e. a crash) record; and the next 20 seconds). It will also only store 10 of them before you'll need to delete the old ones.

I've run into one issue with it - I can't get the video to export/download to a USB stick - I'm asking the dealer/Genius folks about it.

Also, if by back up assist you mean Parking Assistant Plus (5DN), that's part of the Parking Assistance Pkg (ZPK) for the 540ix (according to the ordering guide.)

Hope this helps.

Tom

2003 E65 745i | 2011 F10 550i | 2021 G30 M550xi
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 12:07 PM   #9
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
... you configure sport individual to your liking, (so everything at comfort if you desire). That way with one push of a button, you have your car configured exactly as you want along with stop/start being disabled by default. This is separate from the sport mode and sport plus. (that's what I do)
Maybe it's the difference between USA and UK markets, but here in the colonies, if you put it in sport mode, you can configure sport like you wrote, but the transmission will be in sport mode. No changing that. Throttle, steering, suspension, etc. you can change, but not the transmission mapping.

That means later, harder/faster shifts and no 8th gear.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0